For issues related to the current stable release please use it's own Help forum.
IMPORTANT:Please read this before using an git or nightly build version: wiki.webtrees.net/en/GIT

Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: webtrees 2.0.0-alpha

webtrees 2.0.0-alpha 2 months 1 week ago #21

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
Oh, one thing I forgot to say.

Since alpha.5, we now support 4 different databases (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, SQLite and MySQL).

For testing, you might want to use SQLite. It is a simple file (in your /data folder), and so it can be much easier to set up.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net
The administrator has disabled public write access.

webtrees 2.0.0-alpha 2 months 1 week ago #22

• PaulR
  • New
fisharebest wrote:
For testing, you might want to use SQLite. It is a simple file (in your /data folder), and so it can be much easier to set up.

I only use webtrees locally at present (using XAMPP on Linux) . Am I right in thinking that a switch to SQLite would make it possible to share the program and data with other family members via a simple copy? It would make life so much easier! :D

Many thanks,

Paul

webtrees 2.0.0-alpha 2 months 1 week ago #23

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> Am I right in thinking that a switch to SQLite would make it possible to share the program and data with other family members via a simple copy?

It is certainly easier to copy an SQLite database - it is just a simple file.

Your family members will still need a webserver, although it is easy to put one on a bootable CDROM or USB memory stick.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

webtrees 2.0.0-alpha 6 days 6 hours ago #24

• Alex
  • New
fisharebest wrote:
TIP - if you want to "trick" webtrees into upgrading from stable to unstable, then you can edit the file includes/session.php and change the line

define('WT_VERSION', '1.7.13);
to
define('WT_VERSION', '2.0.0-alpha);

It will now think that you are on the development branch, and will upgrade automatically.
Greg,

so is it possible to upgrade from 1.7.x to 2.0 (latest beta) by changing the WT_VERSION? will the database created and used by 1.7.x work with 2.0 beta?

Regards,
Alex
tree.cavazos.cc
webtrees 1.7.9 | Ubuntu 16.04 LTS | Apache 2.4 | PHP 7.0.22 | MySQL 5.7.19
Last Edit: 6 days 6 hours ago by Alex.

webtrees 2.0.0-alpha 5 days 11 hours ago #25

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
The auto-upgrader in 1.7 will only upgrade to a stable version.

It would be easier to manually install 2.0, than to trick/modify it to do an automatic upgrade.

Upgrading from 1.7 to the 2.0-dev will update the database structure - which means that
you won't be able to downgrade.

If this is your live site, I would recommend that you just install 2.0 alongside it, and
test/evaluate it. Bugs are still being reported, so it is not quite ready for use on a
live site.
  • Page: