For issues related to the current stable release please use it's own Help forum.
IMPORTANT:Please read this before using an git or nightly build version: wiki.webtrees.net/en/GIT

Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

TOPIC: Problems customizing main page

Problems customizing main page 2 months 6 days ago #1

• hlein
  • Junior
Customizing the main page (My Pages / Customize this page) is not working correctly.

If some blocks are pushed to one side, it may be that everything from the other side is removed, the order of the blocks is not taken into account, some blocks ar not shown ....

Can anyone confim this ?
Regards
Helmut
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problems customizing main page 2 months 6 days ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> If some blocks are pushed to one side, it may be that everything from the other side is removed

If one column is empty, the other column is full-width. This is intentional.
For an example, see my own site - fisharebest.webtrees.net/index.php?route=tree-page&ged=genesis

> the order of the blocks is not taken into account

Unlikely ?

> some blocks ar not shown ....

Some blocks are hidden if they have no content.
Some blocks are only shown on certain languages.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Problems customizing main page 2 months 6 days ago #3

• hlein
  • Junior
Yes and no. It may take some time until the page completes, which may be irritating.

but just one example:
I configure statistics and top surnames on the left, slide show and upcoming events on the right and press save (screenshot 1)

It shows only the statistics, no right side. If I select the customization again, it shows only the left side with statistics (screenshot 2).

There are also cases, when only some blocks of a side disappear (still showing two panels). I have not yet found a rule.
Attachments:
Regards
Helmut

Problems customizing main page 2 months 6 days ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
Some of the blocks are very quick to create. These are included in the page.

Some of the blocks are slow to create. These are loaded after the main page has loaded.
Otherwise, the main page would take a long time to load.

Your home page has three "slow" blocks.

On this day - 20 seconds.
Top surnames - 18 seconds.
Statistics - 33 seconds.

I guess that when your server is busy, these blocks take longer than your server's maximum CPU time (typically 60 seconds).

This would explain why blocks do not appear.

Here are two things you can do to make things faster:

* For the statistics block, you can remove the "top surnames". This information is duplicated in the block below.

* For the statistics and top-surnames blocks, the data does not change very often. You could copy/paste this into an HTML block - which would load instantly. You would need to update it manually every week or month.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Problems customizing main page 2 months 6 days ago #5

• hlein
  • Junior
Does this explain also that the blocks disappear from the configuration (image 2) ?
Regards
Helmut

Problems customizing main page 2 months 6 days ago #6

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> Does this explain also that the blocks disappear from the configuration (image 2) ?

I have never seen this.