For issues related to the current stable release please use it's own Help forum.
IMPORTANT:Please read this before using an git or nightly build version: wiki.webtrees.net/en/GIT

Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

TOPIC: Import geographic data, latitude and longitude los

Import geographic data, latitude and longitude los 3 weeks 20 hours ago #1

• xmlf
  • New
I have added a residential address to the individual and entered the latitude and longitude information. But when I
Import all places from a family tree.
There is no latitude and longitude data in the geographic data.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 20 hours ago by xmlf.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Import geographic data, latitude and longitude los 2 weeks 6 days ago #2

• thomas52
  • Frequent
  • Western North Carolina
Did you add the lat/long to the individual data, or to the Google Map data? Google Maps can only find data added to Google Maps.
"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

Import geographic data, latitude and longitude los 2 weeks 6 days ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
xmlf wrote:
I have added a residential address to the individual and entered the latitude and longitude information. But when I Import all places from a family tree.
There is no latitude and longitude data in the geographic data.

Places (e.g. "London, England") have coordinates. Most towns/cities have an official centre or an obvious centre. For example, the centre of London is at a place called "Charing Cross".

Events (e.g. the church where someone was married or the graveyard where they were buried) also have coordinates.

You entered the coordinates of an *event*.

These are different to the coordinates of a place.

If you give the coordinates for an event (e.g. the hospital for a birth, the church for a marriage, the cemetery for a burial, etc.), then webtrees uses these on the map.

But if the *event* does not have coordinates, then webtrees will use the coordinates for the *place*.

GEDCOM format does not support coordinates for places. So webtrees stores them in a module.

In webtrees 1.7, this is the "Google Maps module"
In webtrees 2.0, this is the "OpenStreetMap module"
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Import geographic data, latitude and longitude los 1 week 18 hours ago #4

• ricklach
  • New
Greg, does this mean that I have to enter the lat/long for everyone of my approximate 7K places manually into the module?

Import geographic data, latitude and longitude los 1 week 14 hours ago #5

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
ricklach wrote:
does this mean that I have to enter the lat/long for everyone of my approximate 7K places manually into the module?

That depends...

There are CSV files ready to import into the module for most countries: www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/add-ons/category/5-gm-files
If a CSV file for your country is not there yet, or your place hierarchy differs from what's supplied, then work needs to be done indeed.
Either you adopt the hierarchy as used in the CSV file you imported (can be done with batch module search & replace and regular expressions, or educate me of a better way)
Or you change the CSV file to reflect the hierarchy you use and then import your version.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9

Import geographic data, latitude and longitude los 1 week 11 hours ago #6

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
ricklach wrote:
Greg, does this mean that I have to enter the lat/long for everyone of my approximate 7K places manually into the module?

If you already entered the coordinates using the googlemap module, then these will be used by the openstreetmap module.

Data files are available for import.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net