Web based family history software

Question Theme changes for next release (1.1.3)

More
12 years 9 months ago #21 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: Theme changes for next release (1.1.3)
<<I don't have any strong feelings on the matter but "References" seems better than either of those 2 options.>>

The word "references" can mean lots of things. It can be a verb, a noun, etc.

So, before I can use it, I need to define it for the translators. They will only see the word in isolation. If I don't, then I will get lots of emails asking "how do I translate 'references'? - what does it mean?"

So, I need a definition for the term - and I'm hoping that the definition will suggest a better name.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 9 months ago #22 by fisharebest
It is a bit vague, but how about "Other information"

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net
More
12 years 9 months ago #23 by fisharebest
<<Yes, it is "sort of" by design. Probably better described as "of necessity". There is no natural way to select two "accordions" to be open at the same time. But that was a key design feature I aimed for. To achieve it required creating two "accordion groups". One for References, and one for all the others. That in turn forced me to decide whether to have References at the top or the bottom.>>

Here's a suggestion, that works around the "only one accordion element open at a time" restriction.

We currently start with the *first* accordion element open. Suppose we change it to have the *family_nav* open by default.

This way, you could have the "references" at the top (but closed by default), followed by the family navigator (open by default). If someone wanted to move the references to a different position, they still could.

More
12 years 9 months ago #24 by fisharebest

fisharebest wrote: It is a bit vague, but how about "Other information"

Or how about "Extra information" ?

I like this one.

More
12 years 9 months ago #25 by wooc

fisharebest wrote: Or how about "Extra information" ?

It looks good when I translate it to Polish.
  • ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
12 years 9 months ago #26 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re: Theme changes for next release (1.1.3)
I say, "fine", to "extra information"

I prefer, after using it for some time, for both visual display symmetry and use, that we try to keep the positioning and the 'open status' as is. If someone doesn't like it, they can choose to NOT enable and use it and have the "extra information' retained in the body of the PF tab.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #27 by HRN
Various, Other, Extra, Additional.....Extra sounds good to me.

Regarding the top/bottom issue, I don't have any strong feelings, initially thought it was a bug as the module turned up in the "sort order panel". I do not make use of these tags, nor the counter, and guess I'll leave the module disabled.

In respond to why leaving out birth/death date/place from header,Kiwi wrote:

Yes, it was one of the main causes of the difficulties we (and PGV) always had in getting a decent design for the area. It is so very variable in content and length. On the positive side though, when you say "birth/death facts", there are really only: two, date and place. The dates ARE still there. The places have gone, but for birth they are normally only a few millimetres below the header area, as the first fact on the PF page. I hope that in time you will accept this necessary compromise.

Thank you for explaining. I understand,.........and in time I will accept ;)

Another issue. Allowing the indi_mainimage to be placed left or right in the header is great, but will probably raise the need for a double set of silhouettes? Facing left/right.
In color theme RTL, the silhouettes are now "looking out of the window", which is not "proper design". May of course be solved by placing the indi_mainimage to the left (or right) in both LTR and RTL by default.

webtrees 2.1.18 at visitusinmaputo.com/webtree PHP 8.1.27
webtrees 2.1 dev on local Wampserver 3.3.2 PHP 8.2.13/8.3.0 MySQL 8.2.0
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by HRN.
More
12 years 9 months ago #28 by fisharebest
That's 3 votes for "Extra information", which is good enough.

@HRN - the current set of silhouettes are all pretty poor-quality images. I'm sure they used to be better than that. I think they may have been (badly) downsized at some point. They need updating before we can think about mirror-images.

All themes seem to have the same silhouettes. Does anyone have any (open source!) images they could suggest as replacements?

• erostew
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #29 by erostew
Replied by erostew on topic Re: Theme changes for next release (1.1.3)

fisharebest wrote:

fisharebest wrote: It is a bit vague, but how about "Other information"

Or how about "Extra information" ?

I like this one.

That works for me.
More
12 years 9 months ago #30 by fisharebest
<<I think they may have been (badly) downsized at some point.>>

Checking the logs - it seems that this was my fault ;-)

I forgot to convert them to grayscale before downsizing them. GIMP running as I type....

• jjr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #31 by jjr
I just examine the changes. It's nice.

It seems you had changed the size of the boxes and the size of the fonts.
When I try the print preview of an Ancestors or Descendants on the Demo, a great part of the second lines of "Death" are cut by the middle... (I am running FireFox).

Jean-Jacques
  • kiwi
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 years 9 months ago #32 by kiwi

jjr wrote: I just examine the changes. It's nice.

It seems you had changed the size of the boxes and the size of the fonts.
When I try the print preview of an Ancestors or Descendants on the Demo, a great part of the second lines of "Death" are cut by the middle... (I am running FireFox).

Jean-Jacques

Sorry, I don't understand what you are referring to. Can you provide an image of the issue?

The changes being discussed here only relate to the INDI page and in particular the header and sidebar. Nothing else has been changed that I am aware of, but occasionally unexpected things happen...
  • ToyGuy
More
12 years 9 months ago #33 by ToyGuy
I think he's talking about the last line in many boxes with much data. The box needs about 10 pixels more in height.

Attachments:
  • kiwi
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #34 by kiwi
Thanks Stephen.

Now I can see the problem. JJR is right, it is an (accidental) change in font size. I'll see if I can put it back as it was. I suspect the same css class is used as in the header, or sidebar.

EDIT: fixed, svn 11664
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by kiwi.
  • ToyGuy
More
12 years 9 months ago #35 by ToyGuy
Nigel
JSYK, this is not all that recent a change.

More
12 years 9 months ago #36 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Re: Theme changes for next release (1.1.3)
Hi,

Stephen said

I think he's talking about the last line in many boxes with much data. The box needs about 10 pixels more in height.

The problem is more evident in French, the words are longer than in English... for example the word "birth" is "naissance" in French.
More
12 years 9 months ago #37 by fisharebest
FYI, there is a configuration option "abbreviate chart labels".

This will change "naissance" to "n."

More
12 years 9 months ago #38 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Re: Theme changes for next release (1.1.3)
Hi Greg,

I know... that was just a bad example...
  • jjr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #39 by jjr
Ok, for the accidental font change...

I use these charts (and I recommand them) for my paper documentation and my e-document classification, with the Sosa numbering for ascendants and Abboville's numbering for descendants.

Thanks
J-J
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #40 by eyolf
Replied by eyolf on topic Re: Theme changes for next release (1.1.3)

kiwi wrote: Yes, it was one of the main causes of the difficulties we (and PGV) always had in getting a decent design for the area. It is so very variable in content and length. On the positive side though, when you say "birth/death facts", there are really only: two, date and place. The dates ARE still there. The places have gone, but for birth they are normally only a few millimetres below the header area, as the first fact on the PF page. I hope that in time you will accept this necessary compromise.

Acknowledged. It would have been nice to have the birth date (and not just the year) up there as well, though.

But I like the new design. I particularly like the inclusion of the edit button. I'm not so sure about the delete button, though. First, it is not clear wheter it will delete the person altogether, or if it deletes the name -- the latter wouldn't make sense, I suppose, but since the edit button goes to the Edit Name window, that would be a natural guess. Besides, I don't think such a dangerous operation should be that easily available. A better option, IMHO, would be to add a label ("Edit name") -- in THAT particular area, there is no lack of space.

webtrees 2.1.16
[url] oestrem.com/webtrees [/url]
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by eyolf.