Whilst small files can be uploaded to forum posts, if you have a custom theme or module to contribute please add it on the "Add-ons" page.

TOPIC:

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #21

• Jacoline
Jackie - You used the MO right?
Who is still noobish after 5 years with webtrees (since 7-21-2010)

My family roots can be found on jaconelli.dk/webtrees (and several other pages)
(latest) webtrees: www.familien-johnsen.dk

Kontakt mig for support på dansk!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jacoline.

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #22

• JustCarmen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

No, not asked on kiwitrees.net. We have lots of downloads and users, but few have felt a need to register on the forum

Guilty ;). I must admit I use some of your modules without registering to your forum. But that's your own fault. The modules are so easy to use that there is no need to ask questions about them!

But of course I want to get involved in this discussion and possible solutions. Did you read my last topic?

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme and Fancy Imagebar for webtrees 2.x

Also designer of the JustBlack theme and the other Fancy modules for webtrees 1.x

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #23

• kiwi
  • kiwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Did you read my last topic?

I did. Nothing there to disagree with.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #24

• Jacoline

No, not asked on kiwitrees.net. We have lots of downloads and users, but few have felt a need to register on the forum

I must admit I use some of your modules without registering to your forum. But that's your own fault. The modules are so easy to use that there is no need to ask questions about them!

I agree - your documentation and modules are what they are named: Simple
And I did not register either sorry

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #25

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

I added an empty English translation file so users can use this file as a base for the translation into their own language. The dutch translation files are also added, so dutch users have a little advantage because I did the translation for them. They can use the module out of the box without worrying about the translation.

This seems to be the best approach.

Hopefully any users who add their own translations will submit their translation files back to module's maintainer.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #26

I've put translation files separately in each module.

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #27

• Jacoline

I added an empty English translation file so users can use this file as a base for the translation into their own language. The dutch translation files are also added, so dutch users have a little advantage because I did the translation for them. They can use the module out of the box without worrying about the translation.

This seems to be the best approach.

Hopefully any users who add their own translations will submit their translation files back to module's maintainer.

I might be stupid - but is it a mo.file? Because that is my biggest problem. I can not edit/add mo files

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #28

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A .MO file is a compressed version of a .PO file. You do not edit them. You edit the original .PO file.

A .PO file is just a text file. You could edit it with a text editor if you want, but it is better to use a dedicated editor, such as POEDIT.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #29

• Jacoline
You see that is the problem I have with this suggestion. I can not work with those. Standard windows can not open them :(

It does not work so I gave up with those long time ago and found it usefull with the custom language files as they are right now (and many knows less than me - what about those ?)

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #30

• kiwi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

You see that is the problem I have with this suggestion. I can not work with those. Standard windows can not open them :(

First your statement is wrong, and second, there are a number of simple points you are missing. Let me explain...

1 - Custom language files, whether included with a custom module or added centrally to the /data/languages/ can be .mo. .php. or .csv. The only time it matters is if a text requires plural or gender specific variation, or includes variables (such as a count). Then .mo is required. Prsonally I find it easier to work with .mo.

2 - If you use a tool like BetterPoEdit (free download from SourceForge), it is not only simple to translate .po files and compile them into .mo; it most certainly DOES work in Windows. I use it all the time.

3 - I (and the other add-on developers here), have not anywhere suggested that users must supply fully translated .mo files (or any other sort). All I would require (and only if a user want s to provide it) is a simple list of the translations for the various texts the module uses. I can easily convert them to a .mo file in seconds. Most modules only use a small handful of truly custom texts. As I mentioned early on, I always strive to use standard texts wherever possible.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #31

• Jacoline
I have tried that and with your suggestion you make it more difficult for "deathly users" like me to add/edit the language. Why make it as .po files or mo.files where I need to make translations anyway and have to use custome (in /data) because I am not any advance user and many of the wt users either. I can only say - that sometimes you make it more complicated for ordinary users. And of couse others will support your suggestion, cause they can do all this by them self. Things that are simple for you guys is not the same that others find it like that.

Sorry but I do not find the idea very good for normally users to maintain or edit. And yes I am prolly the only one because not many that know less than me are at these boards.

My opinion:
As ordinary user it should not be needed to install anything beside wt-products to maintan their page.

Well you made this thread to get a respond) :) and now you got my 5-cent :)

P.S.
I reached to see your other respond and you made me smile (Im glad others make the same mistake as me)

Last edit: by Jacoline. Reason: Wee I got promoted - I am not NEW anymore :)

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #32

OK, two for, one against :-)

Make that three for, one against
webtrees 2.0.16 at visitusinmaputo.com/webtree PHP 7.4.16
webtrees 2.0 dev on local WampServer PHP 7.4.9

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #33

• Jackie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Jacoline,

Jackie - You used the MO right?

I am confused. What do you mean by "MO"?
Why do you ask this? If you mean the language mo files, all users of webtrees use mo files. They are included in the package.

Last edit: by Jackie.

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #34

• JustCarmen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

My opinion:
As ordinary user it should not be needed to install anything beside wt-products to maintan their page.

I think you still not understand what we are discussing here. We are discussing the translations of CUSTOM add-ons. Custom add-ons are modules made by users. Those modules are not a part of the core webtrees files.

The core webtrees modules are translated in the core language files. Your language is among the 30 till 40 languages that are coming with the default webtrees package. So all the modules that are a part of the default webtrees packages are already translated, if and I said if the translation is maintained. I just looked at launchpad to see the status of the Danish translation file and it is almost 100% translated. This means that all the modules within the core package of webtrees are translated into your language. You don't have to worry about that.

But what we are discussing here are the translation of the modules as said made by users and provided as an add-on. Most of these modules don't have any translations included. This was at least not the case till now. So if you have ever downloaded a custom module which you wanted in your own language you must do the translation yourself anyway.

By adding a plain english translation file and maybe some other languages to the module package it will be far more easier for users to do their own translations.

So if you have never downloaded a custom module and have no plans to do so, you don't have to translate anything and you can just enjoy your webtrees website out of the box.

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme and Fancy Imagebar for webtrees 2.x

Also designer of the JustBlack theme and the other Fancy modules for webtrees 1.x

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

Last edit: by JustCarmen. Reason: typo

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #35

• Jacoline
I asked earlier if the translation then would be made in .mo or .po (well I asked about .mo) and I understood that answer would be yes. And that is my problem. Cause right now I alone deside how to translate the word "map" (just an example to point out the problems about danish using the same word for different things) But if the translation in the module also would be made from the devol. then I no longer has this "freedom" because I can not edit those kind of files. And I also have the fear when you split them into several files that will be duplicates. Well You guys said no it will not be a problem with that.

Fyi I do use modules and I have used the time translating - but nobody cares about the most of my translations cause they are meant for my site alone. But if any wants them it is not a problem. I share where I can.

Perhabs I misunderstand - perhabs I do not explain it right - perhabs I get the wrong answer. But I still have the same opinion. It should not be made so I have to use 3rd part software so I can edit/maintain my webtrees. And for sure it will not make it more easy for the biggest wt-user-group. I am one of the very few danes who is active on this board. Mostly just install webtrees and use it like it is and some have not moved further than 1.2.6 or 1.3.2. Cause it just works for them and they are happy like that. And when I tell them they need to upgrade the respond is the same. They do not understand the english or the phrases that are used in the english support. So if they also need to have a 3rd part software (if they have a module) to maintain (because others do maintain with upgrades - most of them) then they will feel they are totally lost.

Well that was alot of words. I have tried to give my 5-cent. Thats all. And thing that seems simple for you - not the same it is simple for others :) Im a living prove for that :P

If you still feel I misunderstand the goal in this - well just let it go then - because then Im just hopeless ...... :P But JustCarmen tyvm trying to explaining :)

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #36

• Jacoline
Jackie - Sorry was a mt - was meant for JustCarmen not you

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #37

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen

But if the translation in the module also would be made from the devol. then I no longer has this "freedom" because I can not edit those kind of files. And I also have the fear when you split them into several files that will be duplicates. Well You guys said no it will not be a problem with that.

Fyi I do use modules and I have used the time translating - but nobody cares about the most of my translations cause they are meant for my site alone. But if any wants them it is not a problem. I share where I can.

Perhabs I misunderstand - perhabs I do not explain it right - perhabs I get the wrong answer. But I still have the same opinion. It should not be made so I have to use 3rd part software so I can edit/maintain my webtrees.

Jacoline - I do think you have misunderstood, both the intent of this thread, AND the custom language options. In particular, you need to review the hierarchy of the custom translations and the method of providing a translation.
1) there are three methods of providing a translation file. None is truly superior to the other for most users. I use the PHP file method, but could just as easily use the CSV file method or a PO<->MO edit method. Given the difficulties you describe, and the main purpose of your translations, I would recommend you select a different method. There can't be that many words with which you have any problem, but even if you wanted to change every translation string, you can use any of the three methods I describe above, in any language.
2) for any needed translation, webtrees will look first to see if there exists a custom translation within the module file itself. If it doesn't find one there, it will look secondly to the main custom translation file in /data/language/. If it fails to find a custom language translation there, it will look to the core translations and finally, should it fail to find any core language translation, it will default to English.

So - (1) you need not become familiar with any MO edit procedure since you are not required to use one, and (2) you can still put any custom translations you want in one custom language file, housed in the /data/language folder, even for add-on custom modules.

Does this help? I can't see why you would have any problems whatsoever. If you want to call the sky yellow instead of blue, you easily can make these changes (assuming there was a defined translation variable for blue).
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Last edit: by ToyGuy.

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #38

• Jackie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi,

Stephen said : for any needed translation, webtrees will look first to see if there exists a custom translation within the module file itself. If it doesn't find one there, it will look secondly to the main custom translation file in /data/language/. If it fails to find a custom language translation there, it will look to the core translations and finally, should it fail to find any core language translation, it will default to English.

Jacoline said : ... the most of my translations cause they are meant for my site alone...

I understood that Jacoline would prefer her custom language file (in data folder) to be prioritary to the one in the module.

Last edit: by Jackie.

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #39

• kiwi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I understood that Jacoline would prefer her custom language file (in data folder) to be prioritary to the one in the module.

She can't, but it doesn't matter. All she has to do is delete the one from the module. Plus, if she never supplies a translation to people like me or JustCarmen (as she says she is the only one likely to), it is unlikely that Danish will ever be included in our custom modules, so the issue becomes irrelevant.

Can someone please moderate this topic - it is well off track. The subject is ONLY my original question.

Actually what Jacoline wants is a complete replacment of the entire languages system so that when she feeld like editing it she can do it within webtrees, without needing to use any 3rd party software like PoEdit. That's not going to happen.

@Stephen - one correction to your post. As I mentioned here earlier, it is not quite true that ANT text can be translated as php, csv, or mo. Any text that has plural, gender or variable version can ONLY be translated using gettext (.mo). But its not as hard as Jacoline has made out, and not in any way relevant to this ttopic anyway.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Custom translations in add-on modules 7 years 10 months ago #40

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen

Certainly that's no problem. Simply remove any Danish language translation file from the module and the /data/language translations files will then be the default. Of course, removal is probably not necessary since it is likely that a Danish file will not be included in the distribution of the custom add-on module.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28