Web based family history software

Question [SOLVED] How to Create Custom Reports

• khinch
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1 by khinch
How to Create Custom Reports was created by khinch
The user's guide on the wiki states that custom reports can be created and that XML templates can be used, but both of the links connect to empty pages:
wiki.webtrees.net/en/Users_Guide#Reports

Is there any information on how to create custom reports?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by khinch. Reason: Clarification of wiki link status

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #2 by eh215
Replied by eh215 on topic How to Create Custom Reports
There is nothing available. The reports portion is quite old and has had little maintenance over the years as many webtrees sites are so large and change so regularly that having printed information is seen to be of little value to most users.

Based on my own experiences and the comments from others here over the past few years, I would encourage you to think carefully about printed reports, and consider the value you are expecting against the size of any report produced.

If you are familiar with PHP, you may be able to clone an existing report and create something personalized. If you do, it would be safest if you could set up a "test" version of your site, either in a different directory on your web server or on a laptop/desktop using a tool like xampp, to avoid causing any issues for your main website. If you can't do that, then I would recommend going into the Control Panel and making any reports you are "experimenting with" visible only to Members.

Note - once you create a new report, you will need to make it active in Control Panel --> Modules & visible in the Control Panel --> Modules --> Reports menu.

Each report consists of 2 files, and all reports are located in the modules_v3 directory of your site.

Eric

• khinch
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #3 by khinch
Replied by khinch on topic How to Create Custom Reports
Thanks for that. I see the directories inside modules_v3 that contain the reports, so that's a great starting point.

The only report of interest to me is the "Individual" report, and I wanted to add marriages to it. I appreciate your comments about ever-changing data, and I plan to use this for individuals in my direct line of ancestry who are dead and probably won't change. I also don't plan to print them, just export them to PDF docs to keep on my local filesystem. Until now I've been using LibreOffice documents to keep files on each of said individuals, which may sound crazy, but I've already lost one family tree that was in Gramps format. For my direct tree I'd like to keep some sort of raw format that I can use to reconstruct if the worst should happen again.

Looking at the construction of the XML files I think there is a steep learning curve to even tweak the reports, so I'll have a think about whether to go down that road, or else come up with a custom SQL script or something. I've had very little experience with PHP so that would be another steep learning curve for me.

Thanks for the info. Marking this as solved.

• khinch
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #4 by khinch
Replied by khinch on topic [SOLVED] How to Create Custom Reports
Problem solved.