Web based family history software

Whilst small files can be uploaded to forum posts, if you have a custom theme or module to contribute please add it on the "Add-ons" page.

Question Extended Relationships Module: Feature Requests

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #1 by ric2015
"Extended Relationships" is a custom module available here . It offers a replacement for the 'Relationships' chart, and the 'Families' tab. It provides relationship calculations via common ancestors, and shows relationships to the default individual, and between married individuals.

This thread is to discuss further feature requests. For previous discussions, see also this thread .

Richard

webtrees 2.1.17 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #2 by ric2015
Copied from another thread :

avdl wrote: I'd suggest some modifications that would be improments for me:

1 - activate / disactivative the module within Family view
Adding several children to a family make relationship computing begin again each time a member is added/modified ... this is long, not usefull, server loading ..
If we had an option "with relationships" beside and just like "Date differences" , user could use it when needed

2 - Possibility to give that option only for registered memebers (visitors would be unable to activate "With relationships")

3 - in Charts / Relations to me
- French language, Uncorrected should be translated "Non corrigé" and not "Incorrect"
- Close to "Coefficient of Relationship", i'd like to have the number of the different current relationships

These should be easy to implement/correct, I'll add this functionality shortly.

avdl wrote: - i often have several relationships (Find all relationships via lowest common ancestors), sometime more than 10; thus would it be possible to have this list of expandable (with +) blocks
- the printable version is ok

I'll have to think about this, e.g. I'm not sure how to display the un-expanded relationships.

avdl wrote: and finaly, i'd like to be able, to disallow/disactived the "Find the closest overall connections (preferably via common ancestors)" and "Find the closest overall connections "; both option won't work for me, take so much time and end with a blank page (my database is over 200000 indis, i guess that's the reason)

That's a large tree! I guess trees of this size could only be handled efficiently with more advanced graph algorithms/ a lot of preprocessing (partitioning the tree into minimally connected sub-graphs?)

Anyway, you can deselect these options via the module administration.

Thank you for your feedback!

Richard

Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

More
7 years 5 months ago #3 by Gustine

avdl wrote: French language, Uncorrected should be translated "Non corrigé" and not "Incorrect"

Sorry, I translated « incorrect » instead of « uncorrected »... and, of course, didn't understand why the CoR was incorrect :-(

fisharebest wrote: I have just added an option to webtrees to search for relationships via ancestors only.

Perhaps you could now split your module in
- « Extended families tab » using this new feature,
- « Extended relationship » for more complex calculations.

Online publishing : webtrees 2.1 with Vesta Classic L&F + MagicSunday fanchart + Justlight theme + Fancy Imagebar + sosa²⁰ . Mageia 9 - php 8.2.
Offline editing : webtrees 1.7.

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #4 by ric2015
I have just updated the module and included some of the requested features.

2 - Possibility to give that option only for registered memebers (visitors would be unable to activate "With relationships")

I have not added this yet - I wouldn't be helpful if it worked like 'Date Differences' or other tab toggle checkboxes, because these only show/hide content that is calculated in any case, which is not helpful wrt performance. (I don't like how this works on the facts and events tab for 'Events of close relatives' either: Events of close relatives are always loaded, even if I never want to see them)

I'm not sure about the other suggestion (To only allow this option for registered members) - To be consistent, visitors should not be able to choose these options from the relationship chart either, in that case? They can always get that information anyway (e.g. via comparing individuals in ancestor charts), so why should it be hidden here?

avdl wrote: 3 - in Charts / Relations to me
- French language, Uncorrected should be translated "Non corrigé" and not "Incorrect"
- Close to "Coefficient of Relationship", i'd like to have the number of the different current relationships
- i often have several relationships (Find all relationships via lowest common ancestors), sometime more than 10; thus would it be possible to have this list of expandable (with +) blocks

This is all included in the latest version of the module.

Richard

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by ric2015.

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #5 by ric2015

Gustine wrote:

avdl wrote: French language, Uncorrected should be translated "Non corrigé" and not "Incorrect"

Sorry, I translated « incorrect » instead of « uncorrected »... and, of course, didn't understand why the CoR was incorrect :-(

I have added a help text that attempts to briefly explain how the CoR is calculated and why it isn't exactly correct in all cases.

Gustine wrote:

fisharebest wrote: I have just added an option to webtrees to search for relationships via ancestors only.

Perhaps you could now split your module in
- « Extended families tab » using this new feature,
- « Extended relationship » for more complex calculations.

I still don't see the need to split the module - You can use just the tab, just the chart, or both; this is all configurable via the Control Panel.

Richard

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by ric2015.

More
7 years 5 months ago #6 by Gustine
I just wanted to hide the second menu « Relationship to me » (extended one).
Problem solved by modifying module.php.

Online publishing : webtrees 2.1 with Vesta Classic L&F + MagicSunday fanchart + Justlight theme + Fancy Imagebar + sosa²⁰ . Mageia 9 - php 8.2.

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #7 by ric2015

Gustine wrote: I just wanted to hide the second menu « Relationship to me » (extended one).
Problem solved by modifying module.php.

I see - But you don't have to do it that way: Just set the visibility of the 'Family' chart via 'Control Panel' > 'Modules' > 'Charts'. If you set it to 'Hide from everyone', you get the same effect.

Richard

More
7 years 5 months ago #8 by Gustine
You are right.
Thank you.

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #9 by ric2015

Adding several children to a family make relationship computing begin again each time a member is added/modified ... this is long, not usefull, server loading ..
If we had an option "with relationships" beside and just like "Date differences" , user could use it when needed

This is now implemented in the latest version of the module: The relationships are only displayed (and loaded) when the option "Relationships" is checked.
(The checkbox itself may be disabled via Module Administration)

As a side effect of this implementation, the relationships are now always loaded asynchronously, which makes the tab display faster (as fast as the regular 'Families' tab).

Richard

More
7 years 3 months ago #10 by avdl
Hello Richard,
seems you made a beautifull new version. I just installed it.
I have error messages when i want to show relationships in the Family tab:

/home/myhome/public_html/genealogie/includes/session.php:193 /home/myhome/public_html/genealogie/app/File.php:129 is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect.
File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/myhome/) #0 unknown:unknown ErrorException("/home/myhome/public_html/genealogie/app/File.php:129 is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/myhome/)") #1 /app/File.php:129 is_dir('/') #2 /app/I18N.php:379 mkdir('/cache') #3 /includes/session.php:415 init() #4 /modules_v3/extended_relationships/moduleAjax.php:8 require('/home/myhome/public_html/gen…')

My webtrees scripts are in a subfolder in my home forder and it seems the module scripts try to write outside of that path ?????
(i changed my home folder name with the string myhome in the error message)

Could you please tell me what would help ?
Thanks,
André

webtrees 2.1.16 with Vesta Extended Relationship, Fancy Research Links, Faces - Ghezibde is hosted by webtrees hosting

More
7 years 3 months ago #11 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Extended Relationships Module: Feature Requests
@ric2015 - I think the problem is that you call modules_v3/exendend_relationships/moduleAjax.php directly.

The initialisation in session.php assumes you have called a PHP script in the root folder.

You can use the module.php / Module::modAction() function for this sort of thing.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #12 by ric2015

fisharebest wrote: I think the problem is that you call modules_v3/exendend_relationships/moduleAjax.php directly.

You can use the module.php / Module::modAction() function for this sort of thing.

I had considered that - The problem with that approach in general is the performance overhead, in particular if there are a lot of ajax requests, both for session initialization (irrelevant in this particular case because that's used anyway) and module initialization. Executing ajax requests directly is noticeably faster.

Anyway, for this module it is probably acceptable (in terms of performance) to go via module.php - I'll update the module shortly.

Richard

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #13 by ric2015

avdl wrote: I have error messages when i want to show relationships in the Family tab:

I have now updated the module (by default, ajax requests are now executed via module.php, as suggested by Greg) - Let me know if this works for you!

Richard

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #14 by avdl
Relationship in tabs 's working allright now but Relationship Charts does not even start when i launch it from menu; no error message.
Relationship Charts did work allright with version 1.7.8.2.
Thanks,
André

webtrees 2.1.16 with Vesta Extended Relationship, Fancy Research Links, Faces - Ghezibde is hosted by webtrees hosting
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by avdl.

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #15 by ric2015
Sorry about that - The chart is available again in the latest version. Thank you for the feedback!

Richard

More
7 years 3 months ago #16 by avdl
Hello Richard,
> The chart is available again in the latest version. Thank you for the feedback!
Yes, it does.
Your module is really great, the backoffine options make it suitable for my situation (i'm only interested in direct links, other wont work for the siez of the database i'm managing)
Relationships available both in family tab and charts are a good idea, the members of my genealogical community are going to appreciate it !)
Thanks.

Here are some smal problems:
- the term "Number of relationships:" is not translated, adding this term as variable in the language file won't solve
- the ? for Uncorrected CoR (Coefficient of Relationship) help link won't work
- common ancestor relationships charts won't show common ancestor (except if the two sibling have one common parent and one different parent), the chart begins with the brther/sister relationship.

Thanks for your beautiful work,
André

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #17 by ric2015
Hi André,

Thanks again for your feedback and suggestions, I have just uploaded a new version of the module:

avdl wrote: - the term "Number of relationships:" is not translated, adding this term as variable in the language file won't solve

It has to be translated as "(Number of relationships: %s)" - I have added a translation to 'de.csv' as an example.

avdl wrote: - the ? for Uncorrected CoR (Coefficient of Relationship) help link won't work

This was (hopefully) the same problem as with the ajax requests, it should work now. The help text contents may still be too technical to make sense for the average user, I'm not really sure what to do about this ... Maybe add another option to skip this confusing number altogether?

avdl wrote: - common ancestor relationships charts won't show common ancestor (except if the two sibling have one common parent and one different parent), the chart begins with the brther/sister relationship.

I have now slapped the common ancestors on top of the relationship paths, where applicable (this is configurable in the module admin options). I'm not completely satisfied with this solution (I have not included the arrows and relationship descriptions, the display would probably get too cluttered, and I wanted to preserve the original path), but I guess it's better than nothing.

Richard

More
7 years 3 months ago #18 by avdl
Hi Richard,

I installed and tried the last version and it works fine.

ric2015 wrote: It has to be translated as "(Number of relationships: %s)" - I have added a translation to 'de.csv' as an example.

French translation now works ok

ric2015 wrote: This was (hopefully) the same problem as with the ajax requests, it should work now. The help text contents may still be too technical to make sense for the average user, I'm not really sure what to do about this ... Maybe add another option to skip this confusing number altogether?

In fact yes, the text is technical bt, to me, when clicking on this help, you're looking for such explication.
This information is not confusing to me and there's no need for an option to display it or not. If so, i think i'll still show it.

ric2015 wrote: I have now slapped the common ancestors on top of the relationship paths, where applicable (this is configurable in the module admin options). I'm not completely satisfied with this solution (I have not included the arrows and relationship descriptions, the display would probably get too cluttered, and I wanted to preserve the original path), but I guess it's better than nothing.

It works as attended for me.
In fact, yes, the display is complex and unclear.
Wouldn't it be better, if possible, to display only one box for top couple, with both olders in that box (linked to the family) ?

Once again, your module is essential and make update and visit really pleasant.
Thanks and regards,
André

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #19 by ric2015

avdl wrote: It works as attended for me.
In fact, yes, the display is complex and unclear.
Wouldn't it be better, if possible, to display only one box for top couple, with both olders in that box (linked to the family) ?

It's not so easy to display the common ancestors differently without breaking the entire grid-based layout. An alternative would be to stack them, and have the path displayed as in the case of a single common ancestor:

Would that be clearer?

Richard

Attachments:

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
7 years 3 months ago #20 by thomas52
Oh, yes.

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)