Web based family history software

Question New Module - Branch export using Clippings cart

• mbeerli
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #1 by mbeerli
I would like to get some feedback on this new module.
Reason for the module was that I wanted to split my tree in different branches and did not want to loose and existing information. In addition you are able to save to definitions and can share them between different trees.
github.com/BlasiusSecundus/branch_export/
Translation is on the way, right now only english, even though there is not much to translate.

Installation instructions for beginners:
unzip the downloaded zip file
- upload via ftp to a new directory ../webtrees/modules_v3/branch_export/*.*
- activate the modul : Login to website, Control panel - Modules - Module administraton
- search for Branch export and enable, then Save.
- rights Menu: Control panel - Modules - Menus, look for Branch export and configure
- rights Tabs: Control panel - Modules - Tabs, look for Branch export and configure
- Branch export Config: main menu - Branch export - Config and click install to setup a new table

Webtree 2.1.6, PHP Version 8.1.7, MySQL 5.6.51
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by mbeerli.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #2 by kiwi
Can you explain what it does that is different from the clippings cart?

• mbeerli
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #3 by mbeerli
You are able to save your definitions as well. I also think that the algorithm is different. I was never able to choose "everybody" from a branch. This algorithm goes up, down, sideways in the selected branch and gets everyone.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #4 by kiwi
Ok, thanks. But the term "everybody" is a bit un-scientific.

I have just under 11,000 people in my tree. Everyone of them is linked to me by either blood or marriage. So how does your definition of "everyone" work in such a case?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by kiwi.

• mbeerli
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #5 by mbeerli
With many exports or reports it goes from the top down or bottom up but not sideways and it would take a lot of time to reproduce the output. This export module puts all the people in the clipping cart ready for export, just load your predefined export again.
I have a few family names and usually that will be about 1000 per family name so with 5000 that makes about 5 large trees. Well for each one I created an individual database so people from each family branch can submit data. On one family branch is even a foundation behind it, maybe that was another reason for me to split the tree. For myself I keep the access to the whole tree.

More
6 years 10 months ago #6 by kiwi
Thanks for trying, but I guess we have a language problem. Your explanation makes no sense to me at all.

Sounds a bit like a patrilineal branch - only people with the same male line, all with the same surname. Not something I am interested in.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #7 by hermann
This branch export works great for me! Because it allows defining stop persons/families I was able to cut my tree as I like it.
By the way: first I thought that it doesn't work correctly because some stop persons resulted in no effect, but then I found distant connections in my tree that I have not seen before, so I got totally new insights. Thanks for this great module!

Hermann
Designer of the custom module "Extended Family"

webtrees 2.1.19 (all custom modules installed, PHP 8.2, MariaDB 10.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by hermann. Reason: typo