Web based family history software

Idea Custom Module: Shared Places

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #1 by ric2015
Custom Module: Shared Places was created by ric2015
Shared places have been discussed several times in the past, e.g. in the forum; in issues: [1] , [2] ; and probably elsewhere ...

I have just finished a prototype version of a custom module supporting shared places, available here: cissee.de/ .

Current features:
  • Shared places are handled as top-level _LOC records, containing coordinates, notes, and media.
  • Shared places may be edited and viewed via an additional main menu.
  • On the (extended) facts and events tab, shared place data is displayed in addition to direct place data: You may configure whether to assign shared places via the place name itself, or via xrefs (the latter option is technically cleaner but there is no edit support for these xrefs yet, and a place requires a name anyway).
  • All shared place data is fully included in the gedcom exported by webtrees (and may also be imported via gedcom), based on a gedcom extension (Gedcom 5.5EL). If you have a gedcom file containing _LOC data exported from another program (e.g. Ahnenblatt, TNG apparently, others?), this should also work.
  • I have included a modified OpenStreetMap module which uses location data from shared places. The Google Maps module could be adjusted similarly.

Further work:
  • Support other _LOC fields.
  • Improve the edit controls. I'm not sure how much effort to put into this, considering that all edit functionality is redesigned in webtrees 2.x.
  • Adjust the Gov4webtrees module: There is no need to store GOV Ids separately any more. Even the historical place hierarchies may be modelled via _LOC records - the specification allows this.
  • Migrate Google Maps Module data to shared places?
  • Your feature requests here ...
Some caveats:
  • This is based on a gedcom extension, namely Gedcom 5.5EL ( link1 , link2 ), and therefore produces non-standard gedcom data. Not all external programs will be able to handle the additional records properly.
  • As this is work in progress, you should probably backup your tree more often than usually if you plan to use this extensively. The fields that are already supported are very unlikely to change though - I don't see any risk in using them right away.
Let me know if and how this works for you!

Richard

webtrees 2.1.17 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #2 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Custom Module: Shared Places
Hi Richard,
I have used your openstreetmap module "hooked" smoothly on my local webtree with a wamp server. No problem. But the problem is with the file "FunctionsPrintFacts_179.php" after upload the unzipped modules to my distant webtrees/module_v3 with Filezilla standard outputs.

After upload the file is badly transformed. I explain. before upload : normal Notepad++ edited structure. After upload, all the lines are "gathered" on a long single line on top.
Then, it becomes impossible to acces to "admin_modules.php" with the administration/modules tab : (white screen endless). I attach the syntax error that i could read with wamp server after trying the bugged uploaded file on local.

May be you have idea of how I could fix this problem.

Regards

Pierre. Ver 1.7.9
Attachments:

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #3 by ric2015
Replied by ric2015 on topic Custom Module: Shared Places

Pierre wrote: After upload, all the lines are "gathered" on a long single line on top.

We were able to resolve this issue. For future reference: This was caused by using 'ASCII' as ftp transfer type. Unfortunately, FileZilla by default doesn't use the transfer type 'binary', see e.g. here .

I will also convert all files to 'DOS' (with regard to line breaks) in subsequent releases, which should avoid this issue when 'ASCII' transfer type is used.

Richard

Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

More
5 years 9 months ago #4 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Custom Module: Shared Places
Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for all the time you spend with the new version of the OSM hooked module !!
On this matter, as I use it now with Shared places, can you confirm to me if the different Shared places can be "shared" and extended in other (web)Trees .

Regards from Pierre

Pierre. Ver 1.7.9

• ric2015
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #5 by ric2015
Replied by ric2015 on topic Custom Module: Shared Places

Pierre wrote: can you confirm to me if the different Shared places can be "shared" and extended in other (web)Trees .

Some kind of import functionality is definitely on my roadmap, it will take a while to implement this though.
I originally envisioned importing google map module data, but importing shared places from other GEDCOM files seems also a good idea.

As with merging other GEDCOM data, it will not be quite straightforward however: We'll have to decide how to merge data (we probably don't want to end up with the same shared place more than once), we'll have to manage/reassign the xref identifiers, and so on. In particular once the entire _LOC structure is supported (as in: shared places referring to other shared places), this will become complicated.

Note that until this is available, you could merge the raw GEDCOM files - in this case, the _LOC records - manually (outside webtrees), but this is obviously not very convenient. Do not attempt this without backing up your data first!

Richard