Whilst small files can be uploaded to forum posts, if you have a custom theme or module to contribute please add it on the "Add-ons" page.

TOPIC: Allowing for both Kanji and Romaji

Allowing for both Kanji and Romaji 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

• toast
  • New
Hi there,

My wife is Japanese, so I'm trying to make branches on both sides, but I want to retain kanji and also have the romaji (as in the Latin spelling) visible for any relatives on my side. I know I can add in an alias, but is there another way to do this? I dislike the idea of putting kanji or romaji as aliases, because neither are aliases.

Perhaps something more along the lines of "Add language" and it allows you to write the name in another language? Then in the tree, if a language has been added, it will list both names. Anything like this exist? If not, how long would it likely take to make something like this, and where should I look to make this functionality?

Kind regards,

Karl
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by toast.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Allowing for both Kanji and Romaji 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
Just add two names. One in Kanji and one in Romanji.

(Menu, edit, add a new name)

webtrees will show the first name that is written in the same script as the page language.

So, if you view the site in Japanese, it will show the Kanji names, and if you view the site in English (or any other latin language), it will show the Romanji names.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Allowing for both Kanji and Romaji 1 month 2 weeks ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
BTW - the Japanese translation for webtrees is only 5% complete.

If you (or your wife) would like to contribute to this, you can do so here.

weblate.iet.open.ac.uk/projects/webtrees/webtrees/ja

Any translations you add will be included in the next release
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Allowing for both Kanji and Romaji 1 month 2 weeks ago #4

• toast
  • New
Thank you! That works a charm! One thing though; in the Branches area, would it be a big change for me to get it to list both the kanji and Romanised names?

Also about translation, sure! I will try to where I can :)

Allowing for both Kanji and Romaji 1 month 2 weeks ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
Another option is to enable "ROMN" (Romanised) as an "advanced name field" in the family tree preferences.

(If you do this, then you should avoid using the "Married name" or "Also known as" fields - as these are non-standard and don't support romanised versions. Instead, you should add a new name with type=married or type=aka)

This has the advantage of linking the two versions of the name together. It is a more "technically correct" approach, but it makes the input form a little more complicated.

Allowing for both Kanji and Romaji 1 month 2 weeks ago #6

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> would it be a big change for me to get it to list both the kanji and Romanised names?

A bigger change than you might think.

As well as matching the name/page scripts, we also exclude certain types of name (e.g. married).
But if there are only married names, then we have to use them.
What if there are names in 3 or more different scripts? Showing them all might break the layout.

If you are a PHP coder, I can point you in the right direction...