Whilst small files can be uploaded to forum posts, if you have a custom theme or module to contribute please add it on the "Add-ons" page.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Birthday Calendar ics 11 months 2 weeks ago #1

• walgemoed
  • walgemoed's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
Hi,

Is there a way to link your calendar to the birthdays from the family tree? If not, would that be something useful?
I was thinking about coding a little module for it, I was just wondering if there is any support for this idea.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Birthday Calendar ics 1 week 5 days ago #2

I was just looking for this feature. Was quite surprised for family orientated history with birthdays, deaths, etc there was no way of exporting in an iCal format or something for mobile phones to pop up reminders from whatever calendar is being used. There is a module called reminder I see for e-mailing anniversaries daily, but I was expecting an iCal or similar export.

Birthday Calendar ics 1 week 5 days ago #3

I think making this generally useful will be much harder than it seems. In my website, for example, there are more than 25,000 individuals and Calendar says that "On this day ... 16 October 2020" there are 97 birth/death events for individuals and 23 marriage anniversaries for families. Clearly this is orders-of-magnitude more events than you are looking for! So how do you propose to select the relevant ones?

A month ago, my wifed asked me to provide a list of birth/death/marriage anniversaries for her (vaguely-defined) "close relatives" and she called my automatically-generated list of 400 people unacceptable. (No surprise there.) In my experience, wandering through the family tree to *find* the relevant people is much harder than adding them to the calendar. Besides, I only need to add them to the calendar once -- not repeatedly every year on their anniversary date....

Birthday Calendar ics 1 week 5 days ago #4

walgemoed wrote: I was thinking about coding a little module for it, I was just wondering if there is any support for this idea.

I don't really understand your final sentence. If, as you suggest, you are capable of coding such a module; and (clearly) you want it, why does it matter whether anyone else supports it? Just do it. Post it to the "Add ons" place here for anyone else interested to download if you want to share it.

But to answer your first question "would it be useful"; given that the primary function of family tree software for most (?) people is their deceased ancestors, I'm personally not sure what use it would be. Hardly going to be sending them greetings, I suspect. But, that's only my opinion, so it shouldn't stop you creating your own module. That in itself is a good thing to do. It would help you understand the code, and maybe eventually assist in the wider development efforts, or even create your own software, as I did.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Birthday Calendar ics 1 week 5 days ago #5

Some basic filters could be applied (or not depending on the case) such as living relatives, or degree of separation. Existing Webtrees calendar I see has the option for living relatives. Another option is all birth dates, death dates, etc after a certain calendar date (that gives relevancy to the person wanting the dates).

Birthday Calendar ics 1 week 5 days ago #6

It's easy to fork github.com/UksusoFF/webtrees-reminder module as example. Combine it with github.com/markuspoerschke/iCal
And you got iCal support for webtrees ;)

• Page: