Whilst small files can be uploaded to forum posts, if you have a custom theme or module to contribute please add it on the "Add-ons" page.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Parish Address 4 months 3 weeks ago #1

• fredbeard
  • fredbeard's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
Dear all,

I would know if there is any easy way to track the differences between towns and parishes.
I explain it better: I got some people born in a municipality, but register on a parish of another one, because this parish has his oversight on a territory that extends the municipality where it is locate.

Then is there a way to track both the information? I would have two fields, for instance for birth event, one for the physical location with the municipality (usually with indication of the physical address of the house) and one with the parish. Is it possible?

Moreover, is there a way to track the information about the historical name of the town? Now I am inserting just the current name, but not the fact that in that specific year the Nation was different or part of another county. Is there a way to track also this?

Thanks for your suggestions on this!
Regards
Federico

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Parish Address 4 months 3 weeks ago #2

1. I'm using the place record to store the address of the house where the person is born and add a source record where I store the parish information.
2. Do you know GOV ? It contains all historical information for places. There is a webtrees module to integrate GOV.

- github.com/vesta-webtrees-2-custom-modules/vesta_gov4webtrees
webtrees 2.0.7 (all available custom modules installed) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu/
and webtrees 1.7.17 (many custom modules) @ ahnen1.hartenthaler.eu/

Parish Address 4 months 3 weeks ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> I'm using the place record to store the address of the house where the person is born and add a source record where I store the parish information.

I think most people do the same.

There are two types of information - evidence and conclusion.

The evidence (sources) should be the exact text - so you use the historic place names that appear in the source.

For the your conclusions (dates, places, names, etc.) you should be consistent - so use the current place names.

> There is a webtrees module to integrate GOV.

Caution! This module works with webtrees 2.0.2.

It may not work with 2.0.3.

The reason is that it relies on the order in which other modules and files are loaded - and this order has changed.

I've been working with the module author to find a solution.
This is why the 2.0.3 release has been delayed for several weeks.

But I still do not have a solution, and I do not think I can delay any longer.

So, if you use this module, please check compatibility before you upgrade to 2.0.3
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Parish Address 4 months 3 weeks ago #4

• ric2015
  • Away
  • Junior
  • Junior
The GOV module should work with 2.0.3 (it may require minor adjustments). The changes in 2.0.3 will affect other of my custom modules though. We probably should resolve these issues after the next release, the important thing in my opinion is to have a proper long-term solution, addressing in which ways custom modules are allowed to affect 'core' functionality.

Regarding the original question: I use the PLAC record of christening/baptism events to store the parish. So I usually have a BIRT event with the actual location of the birth, and a CHR event with the parish as an administrative place.
Richard

webtrees 2.0.6 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

Parish Address 4 months 3 weeks ago #5

• fredbeard
  • fredbeard's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
> Regarding the original question: I use the PLAC record of christening/baptism events to store the parish. So I usually have a BIRT event with the actual location of the birth, and a CHR event with the parish as an administrative place.

I would prefer this version instead of the source, in order to have a view on the person about the two geographical places.
Sources could be different because usually I got the birth both from military record (with the real physical location of the municipality) and birth certificate from the church for marriage (with the indication of the parish located in another municipality).

I am curious about the GOV module and I will investigate it.

Thanks!

• Page: