Whilst small files can be uploaded to forum posts, if you have a custom theme or module to contribute please add it on the "Add-ons" page.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pigeon racing ? 1 week 1 day ago #1

• Pigonpunk666
  • Pigonpunk666's Avatar Topic Author
Hi. First of all thanks for a very interesting project and a good forum with a good tone.

I am new to webtrees and have my first installation up and running. My idea is to adapt this installation to my slightly odd needs.
Below I will presents my thoughts and needs. Those of you who have considerably more experience with webtrees are welcome to comment and come up with suggestions on how I can achieve my adaptations in the best and easiest way.
Thanks in advance.

My great passion in life is racing pigeons and breeding the best racing pigeons. I think webtrees can help me keep track of my pigeons. At the start of each year I have about 100 pigeons. But after the hawk and falcon have done their thing I'm down to about 60 pigeons by fall. So there will be a lot of individuals to keep track of over a period of time.

* First of all, I have to delete the need for a "root person". Because I buy new pigeons all the time and redo the breeding pairs every year.

* Take names out of the equation entirely. Pigeons have a ring with an individual number on it that I want to use instead. Structure of this number looks like following "BE-15-22-7890" BE = Country, 15 = club, 22 = the year the pigeon was born and 7890 = is the pigeon's unique number.
I want to be able to enter these numbers individually so I can use them for example, sort the pigeons based on club. But I want the whole number to be seen as the pigeon's name , for example in, the pedigree.

* The pigeon's place in the pigeon loft. My pigeon loft is divided into three different rooms. And in the room the pigeon can also have its own nest.

* The function of the pigeon. Is it a breeding pigeon, racing pigeon, etc.

I probably have a thousand more thoughts. But these are the first things I need to fix to get webtrees working for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pigeon racing ? 1 week 1 day ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Not a bad idea. I've heard webtrees is being used by breeders of dogs and horses

Since names are used all over, I would suggest to use the name field to store the number.
In the webtrees Control Panel you can select a naming convention that puts the surname first.
Then you can enter e.g. Surname = BE-15 and Given name = 22-7890, which renders a Full name of BE-15 22-7890.

There are ways to change labels on the screen, so it shows "Ring number" instead of "Full Name", "Country-Club" instead of surname, "Year-id" instead of Given name etc.
But for this you need to make a custom translation module. Probably less priority, takes effort, but can be done.

To the individual you can add a Residence fact in which you enter in which room the pigeon lives.
Breeding or racing, probably you can add tags to then, or abuse the Occupation fact.

Good luck! I hope you did not fall victim to the bad weather incident in the south of France this weekend!
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bertkoor.
  • Page: