Whilst small files can be uploaded to forum posts, if you have a custom theme or module to contribute please add it on the "Add-ons" page.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New US Historic Events Module 1 week 3 days ago #1

• jessewebdotcom
  • jessewebdotcom's Avatar Topic Author
I created a module to add the most notable events affecting the United States to each individual's facts table. You can download it here: github.com/JesseWebDotCom/webtrees-historic-us-events

See attached screenshot or go directly to the link above

Note: Theme used in the attached screenshot is the modern theme .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jessewebdotcom.

New US Historic Events Module 1 week 3 days ago #2

• hermann
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I installed your module with historic data successfully. I can see it in the control panel, but it does not show any historic events. Should I open an issue?
Hermann
Designer of the custom module "Extended Family"

webtrees 2.1.7 (all custom modules installed, php 8.1, MySQL 5.7) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu

New US Historic Events Module 1 week 3 days ago #3

• jessewebdotcom
2 things - 1) did you enable it? (see the readme on how to enable after you install) and 2) are you using a non-english language? I lifted this code section from the webtrees codebase which I think means to only show results if the language is english:
    public function historicEventsAll(): Collection
    {
        switch (I18N::languageTag()) {
            case 'en-AU':
            case 'en-GB':
            case 'en-US':
                return new Collection([

New US Historic Events Module 1 week 2 days ago #4

• hermann
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ah! Switching from "German" to "English" does the trick.

But is it a good idea to program it that way? We already had a long discussion in this forum some time ago about deciding which historical events should be shown in which context. Your approach is a new one.

I do not prefer it. I'm German, but many people from the USA are in my tree. The events in your historic events module which are US related are maybe relevant for those people in my tree and they are interesting for me and many of my users, but they will not see them, because their language is set to "German".

Is history related to a language? I don't think so. Historic events are maybe related to a country, but to a language? Are the events in your module relevant for my users in Australia? They are speaking English, but their history is very different.

I like your approach that users should be able to decide which historic events they like to see. But there is at the moment no function for this. And I don't think that the selected language is a good option for this. So I would prefer at the moment that the admin is the only one who decides which historic events are shown. A mixture as you have implemented now is in my opinion not acceptable.
Hermann
Designer of the custom module "Extended Family"

webtrees 2.1.7 (all custom modules installed, php 8.1, MySQL 5.7) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu

New US Historic Events Module 1 week 1 day ago #5

• jessewebdotcom
Updated (removed language check; added WWI) - you can download the latest from here: github.com/JesseWebDotCom/webtrees-historic-us-events/releases

I also updated modern theme to shade historical facts (makes it easier to distinguish from personal facts) - see attached screenshot.
Attachments:

Last edit: by jessewebdotcom.

New US Historic Events Module 5 days 15 hours ago #6

• otmar.mayr
Eine Überlegung wäre, dass die User es selbst entscheiden können, welche historischen Ereignisse sie sehen wollen. Der Administrator aktiviert alle verfügbaren historischen Ereignisse und der User kann in seinem Konto die von ihm gewünschten historischen Ereignisse nach Bedarf deaktivieren oder aktivieren.
www.verwandten.info / PHP-Version 7.4.12 / webtrees 2.1.7

New US Historic Events Module 5 days 12 hours ago #7

• jessewebdotcom
Yeah, I could add options like “wars”, “assassinations”, “science”, etc. good idea - might do that in a future version.

• Page: