Question Joomla integration alternatives

• Woody
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago #1 by Woody
Joomla integration alternatives was created by Woody
Hello Kiwi,

I am also from the Joomla virus caught. But when I saw your website, I was not so sure whether I still need Joomla at all.
But how did you do that? Is it difficult?
Can you give me a little guide?

Thanks Woody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #2 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic Re: Joomla integration alternatives
Hi Woody, and welcome to the forum. I've moved your post, as this discussion is more likely to be about "customising" than just "Help".

I'm glad to hear you are re-thinking the "Joomla" addiction :-) Many people believe it is the answer to everything, but in my view it just creates a huge unnecessary maintenance burden. many people also have an imaginary view of what their users/visitors want or need. That's not to say I dislike Joomla. Far from it. I use it to manage this site, and also others I run. Its just not in my view necessary for a perfectly adequate webtrees site, IF family history is the main focus of the site.

So first I would turn your question back on yourself. Why did you "think" you wanted Joomla? What exactly do you NEED to have on your site. I stress, need instead of "want" as the two are often very different.

From that point it will be much easier to recommend a solution, as there can be many alternatives. You're welcome to refer to my site for examples of what you need.

As to "is it difficult?", that depends on your abilities. Some knowledge of HTML or CSS helps, and a little PHP perhaps. But none are essential if you first manage your expectations to match your real needs. On my site I have a mixture of a customised theme, use of the full range of webtrees options (many of which the average user may not be aware of), and a couple of custom modules (which I plan to make available here as soon as I get time).
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by kiwi.

• Woody
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #3 by Woody
Replied by Woody on topic Aw: Re: Joomla integration alternatives
Eventually I discovered in the TNG web page by Darrin Lythgoe. And I also wanted to have something. But with more accessories.
Forum, chat, news ticker, ..... but I think that's no longer necessary. I think the half is certainly not used.

My concern is for my genealogy. And the old family photos I want to display by their GPS data on a map. Nothing more.
Joomla also failed because there is no right bridge to the current version of TNG.

If I could change the look of webtrees according to me that would be great. For the other templates ..... oh well :-(
Knowledge of PHP and HTML I have very few, but it should not fail it. I have yet to hammer out now all I have set myself in the head.

Stefan
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Woody.