Question Custom footer text

• harphauler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #1 by harphauler
Custom footer text was created by harphauler
Next question -

How can I add some copyright info, etc. to the footer of the pages, much like Stephen on his site?

Thanks again!

Lou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 1 month ago #2 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re: Custom footer text
Lou
Such work needs to be added to the footer.php file in every theme you use, and it will be lost with most upgrades, so you'll have to do it again, each time, in each theme.

We have a long-range plan to add a custom footer module as an add-on (not probably a core feature), but this is some time off as there are a long list of needed actions after the release of v1.1.0 and this would be a low priority. The code is not terribly difficult to hack if you understand php/html, but be prepared for conflicts with frequent updates.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• harphauler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #3 by harphauler
Replied by harphauler on topic Re: Custom footer text
Thanks much. I'll try the file edit. Considering what I've seen in the transition from PGV to webtrees as far as structure, etc., makes no sense to make this a high priority! webtrees sure looks nice under the hood.

Lou

More
13 years 1 month ago #4 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic Re: Custom footer text
Lou

Stephen and I both have similar text in our footers.

I added this coded just below the final closing <</div>
Code:
echo "<div id=\"copyright\">"; $copyright = WT_THEME_DIR."copyright.php"; include ($copyright); echo "</div>";
and put my text in the new file I called copyright.php, and placed that in the theme folder.
As Stephen said, if you allow user theme switching you will need to add the same in each theme, plus of course, its not translatable. I don't have either issue on my site so its not a big deal, plus my theme is a custom one anyway, so this is just one of the fixes I need to remember each time I upgrade.

• harphauler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #5 by harphauler
Replied by harphauler on topic Re: Custom footer text
Thanks. As I mentioned to ToyGuy privately, coming from a music and media perspective I tend to notice copyright notices, etc. so want to do what I had done in PGV; it's similar to you & ToyGuy on webtrees. If I break the install I won't come running back here for help unless I've torn out all my hair.
Lou