• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #21

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@vito.

I saw you application to join the croation review team. Sorry for not replying earlier, but as I said in another post, my sister has just had a baby, so I have been away from my computer for a few days.

Please can you read wiki.webtrees.net/Translation_Review_Teams

We have a reviewer for the Croation translation, but he has been inactive since January.

If you want to submit a few corrections, then I can approve these for you.

If you want to become a regular translator, and you want to help us bring the croation translation up to 100%, then I can add you to the translation/review team.

If you can make the commitment to the project, that would be excellent! If not, then no problem. Either way, send me an email to let me know.

Greg
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #22

• Hagershorn
  • Hagershorn's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
Hi Greg,

<<The default/distribution files live in this directory.

Your custom files should live in /webtrees/data/language/>>

That's exactly what I have. It still doesn't translate.

I put the CSV file in data/language dir but that doesn't work either.

I trust mother & baby are in good order.

J
John H
Windows 7 webtrees 1.7.2
8Gb ram, 3.9GHz quad core, mysql 5.5.32 php 5.3.3 Apache 2.2.14
www.hawthornthwaite.net/webtrees
John H

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #23

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
J
Send me a copy of your CSV file and I'll look. I use it for several English translations I prefer and it works flawlessly. For instance:
Instead of Death "YES:, mine says Death "Date unknown".
www.myarnolds.com/individual.php?pid=I96230&ged=Arnold.ged
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #24

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi John,

To further test this, I have just created a file ..../data/language/en_GB.csv on both my development and live servers.
"click to edit";"…"

I deleted the cache files (approximately 100 files whose names begin zend_cache). On webtrees 1.2.1, these are located in your system temp folder. On the latest SVN (and in webtrees 1.2.2), these will be in ..../data/cache/

I went to the admin pages, where this text is used, and I see the "..." instead of "click to edit".
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #25

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ Nigel - ref #17

You are probably right. However, this report is a nightmare for translation. It tries to create sentences by combining words and phrases. It doesn't really get it right for English, and it gets it very wrong for most other languages.

I think that a translator from almost every language has commented on the messages used in this report.

Changing any of the text in the core code will just cause more grief. :-(

The reporting system needs a fundamental re-think.

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #26

Changing any of the text in the core code will just cause more grief.

That wasn't what I meant or was suggesting. I was referring only to the GB translation, which seems to be what John is trying to change (or have I misunderstood?).

The reporting system needs a fundamental re-think.

I totally agree, but that's another matter....

@John - just a thought, when you say you have cleared your cache - what cache are you talking about? I'm wondering f you keep clearing your BROWSER cache - which is not the one everyone else is referring to. We mean your web server / system cache.

That should also clear itself, but that might depend on your settings for gc_probability etc discussed in other topics. I wonder if yours is set to "0", preventing natural clearing.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #27

Unless he didn't mean it, one detail no one has commented on is important. He said he changed a msgid and not a msgstr in the file.

The msgid appears in the the code. The translation finds that msgid in the file and puts the corresponding msgstr on the screen.

To change what is on the screen, change the msgstr

If you change the msgid, then the one in the code isn't in the file any more. So the translator can't find it, which means it just outputs the msgid--the one it couldn' find, not the one you changed in the file.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/
PHP 7.2.15; MySQL 5.6.40; Apache

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #28

• Hagershorn
  • New
  • New
Thanks Stephen, I'm up and running and will play with some phrases.

Incidentally I have pretty well cracked the overprinting.

Regards
J
:)
John H
Windows 7 webtrees 1.7.2
John H

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #29

Hagershorn wrote: Thanks Stephen, I'm up and running and will play with some phrases.

John, thats good news. Out of interest, what was the problem?
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #30

• Hagershorn
  • New
  • New
Nigel,

I was clearing the zend-caches. They are in the webtrees/data/tmp directory on my setup. I wasn't concious of putting them there, it's just where they are.

Re the mshid and msgstr above, it was the msgstr I was changing.

With Stephen's help I have done it with a php file.

Thanks everyone for massive help.

J
John H
Windows 7 webtrees 1.7.2
John H

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #31

• Hagershorn
  • New
  • New
Nigel, re the overprinting, I have some postings on another thread, 'Re: SVN 10625 Descendancy Report has overwritten lines '.

I found that xml seems to be vulnerable to innocent line feeds put in to the coding of the report to make it a standard codeing layout.
Removing these has cured the vast majority of the overprinting.
The second culprit is the source footnote. As I don't know where the code is for the source footnote I can't look at it, so I just leave the source out of the ahnetafel output.

I have produced 15 page 8 generation ahnentafels (without sources), but including OCCU and RESI and children, without any over printing.

Re the translations
My report engine doesn't pick up the en_GB .mo, or the en_GB. csv files but does pick up the en_GB.php file in the data/language directory, so I am a happy bunny now.

If you would like me to have a look at the English translations with a view to making them more readable I would be happy to do so.

Just tell me where they are and how to submit them to you.

Regards

John

J
John H
Windows 7 webtrees 1.7.2
John H

Re: Custom language files 9 years 2 weeks ago #32

Nigel, re the overprinting, I have some postings on another thread, 'Re: SVN 10625 Descendancy Report has overwritten lines '.

I found that xml seems to be vulnerable to innocent line feeds put in to the coding of the report to make it a standard codeing layout.
Removing these has cured the vast majority of the overprinting.
The second culprit is the source footnote. As I don't know where the code is for the source footnote I can't look at it, so I just leave the source out of the ahnetafel output.

I have produced 15 page 8 generation ahnentafels (without sources), but including OCCU and RESI and children, without any over printing.

I wasn't referring to this, only to the custom text issue. Problems with reports have no interest for me - I would gladly delete them all from the system.

My report engine doesn't pick up the en_GB .mo, or the en_GB. csv files but does pick up the en_GB.php file in the data/language directory,

But this does interest me, though it makes no sense. Your report engine is no different to any of ours and all three solutions work for us. It would have been good to work out what was wrong. The report engine is irrelevant to this issue, unless you are saying that other custom-text translations work , but only the ones in reports fail.

If you would like me to have a look at the English translations with a view to making them more readable I would be happy to do so.

Just tell me where they are and how to submit them to you.

We are always keen to get suggestions for language changes. The process is described here: wiki.webtrees.net/Translation_Review_Teams
Its much easier than you are probably imagining :-)
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Re: Custom language files 8 years 11 months ago #33

• vito
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

fisharebest wrote: @vito.

I saw you application to join the croation review team. Sorry for not replying earlier, but as I said in another post, my sister has just had a baby, so I have been away from my computer for a few days.

Please can you read wiki.webtrees.net/Translation_Review_Teams

We have a reviewer for the Croation translation, but he has been inactive since January.

If you want to become a regular translator, and you want to help us bring the croation translation up to 100%, then I can add you to the translation/review team.

If you can make the commitment to the project, that would be excellent! If not, then no problem. Either way, send me an email to let me know.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I´m still waiting for Your´s response...and approval for my translations...

Vito

Last edit: by Jackie.

Re: Custom language files 8 years 11 months ago #34

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Vito.

I don't remember getting your email. Perhaps it was eaten by the SPAM filter...

There are two options.

If you just want to submit a few translations/corrections, then I can approve these for you.

If you want to become a regular contributor, then I will add you to the webtrees-hr team, so that you can approve your own contributions.

Let me know which one you want...

Greg

• Page: