Secondly, the reports were not designed to work with internationalisation. Each fragment of the report is translated, formatted and positioned separately. The only context sensitive translation we can do is for male/female.
The problems also exist in English. For example "He died in January 1918" versus "He died on 12 January 1918". This is why we have simply:
"He died " + date + place
I appreciate that the problems are much worse in other languages.
In my opinion, we should abandon the current report-engine, with its XML files. I do not believe it can be made to work.
Instead, we should write a custom script for each report. This would give much better control over translation-context, content, layout, formatting, etc. Most browsers will have a simple "print to PDF" option.
I don't know why I didn't saw the possibility to change translations in launchpad yesterday. Probably because german was at 100% translated. Today there are two open terms to be translated and I see all other terms. I made the changes.
I agree with you that it would be better to create an own script for each report.
And I agree too, that other languages are even more difficult than english.