• Page:

TOPIC:

Change existing translations 8 years 8 months ago #1

• Andreas
  • Andreas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent
  • Frequent
Hello,

I don't know if this is the good thread to place my request.

I would like to know how to change an existing translation, which is obviously false in one application.
Used to help making translations I didn't find the way to change something, once fixed.

In the translation of webtrees the word died is translated with gestorben

I found a bad usage of this when creating german descandancy reports.
The verb died herein must be translated with starb (male/female singular)

As the translator doesn't know where a translation string is used he can't decide whether an english verb is in the past tense or past participle.

But here's another difficulty:

This report tries to make entire good sentences. Here it would be better to translate entire formulas and not several words.

examples: was born
wurde geboren um 1550 -> wurde um 1500 geboren
wurde geboren 01. Mai 1550 -> wurde am 01. Mai 1500 geboren
wurde geboren vor 01. Mai 1550 -> wurde vor dem 01. Mai 1500 geboren

died 19 May 1616
gestorben 19. Mai 1616 -> starb am 19. Mai 1616
gestorben vor 19. Mai 1616 -> starb vor dem 19. Mai 1616

So here are the two questions:
1. Is it possible to change an existing translation (for the next release/ on my local installation)
2. How can a translation be varied from case to case

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kiwi.

Re: Change existing translations 8 years 8 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Andreas,

Firstly, you can change all the translations easily. See wiki.webtrees.net/Custom_Translation for instructions.

Secondly, the reports were not designed to work with internationalisation. Each fragment of the report is translated, formatted and positioned separately. The only context sensitive translation we can do is for male/female.

The problems also exist in English. For example "He died in January 1918" versus "He died on 12 January 1918". This is why we have simply:

"He died " + date + place

I appreciate that the problems are much worse in other languages.

In my opinion, we should abandon the current report-engine, with its XML files. I do not believe it can be made to work.

Instead, we should write a custom script for each report. This would give much better control over translation-context, content, layout, formatting, etc. Most browsers will have a simple "print to PDF" option.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re: Change existing translations 8 years 8 months ago #3

• Andreas
  • Andreas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent
  • Frequent
Thanks Greg,

I don't know why I didn't saw the possibility to change translations in launchpad yesterday. Probably because german was at 100% translated. Today there are two open terms to be translated and I see all other terms. I made the changes.

I agree with you that it would be better to create an own script for each report.

And I agree too, that other languages are even more difficult than english.

• Page: