• Page:

TOPIC:

Translations from launchpad 8 years 6 months ago #1

• Leo2
  • Leo2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
How often are updated languages files in webtrees distributions? There is a lot of new translations for Russian in launchpad, but the latest 1.2.6 version still have just about 1/3 translated to Russian.

I spent about an hour translating in launchpad couple months ago, but the latest version was not updated. I don't see the reason to spend my time if there is no effect.

Why there is no way to add new translations in the admin web-interface, like it is in phpgedview?

Since the default Russian.mo file is weak, does anybody have additional Russian translation files (for example made in any way described here wiki.webtrees.net/Custom_Translation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Translations from launchpad 8 years 6 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Leo2,

Each language/translation needs to have a language review team. See wiki.webtrees.net/Translation_Review_Teams

We need to have reviewers. Otherwise anyone could change any translation to a spam message, etc.

The Russian translation has 3 reviewers. Only one was ever active. They have all been inactive for a long time.

Two other people have applied to be reviewers, but neither replied to my emails - so I guess they were not serious.

So, the reason your translations are not being reviewed and accepted is that we do not have anyone to do this job :-(

If you read the wiki page, and think you could do it, then please send me an email and introduce yourself.

Greg
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re: Translations from launchpad 8 years 6 months ago #3

• Leo2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Some time ago I received from you the following:

The status of your membership in the team webtrees-ru (webtrees-ru) was
changed by fisharebest (fisharebest) from Proposed to Declined.
< launchpad.net/~webtrees-ru >

fisharebest said:
Hi Leo2,

I am declining your application because:

1) I do not know who you are
2) You have not contributed any translations

You should read this page:

wiki.webtrees.net/Translation_Review_Teams

I decided that you were right - if you have reviewers team, them I could help as a translator. You didn't write me that your 'team' is inactive.

Last edit: by Leo2.

Re: Translations from launchpad 8 years 6 months ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
<<You didn't wrote me that your 'team' is inactive. >>

It is not easy to find this information. I cannot search for it, and I cannot sort the translations by date.

I need to look at the list of contributors, e.g.

translations.launchpad.net/webtrees/trun...webtrees/ru/+details

I then need to filter the results of each contributor, e.g.

translations.launchpad.net/webtrees/trun.../+filter?person=leo2

and read the "date" column for every page.

I guess that 75% of the people who have clicked the "apply to join" link on launchpad.net do not use webtrees. So, I changed the system. You cannot now apply to join the teams online. You must now send me an email, and I will do it manually. This works well. Since I made the change, everyone who has applied has been accepted.

So, if you:

(a) use webtrees
(b) speak Russian
(c) have the time and commitment to take over the role

then send me an email and introduce yourself.

But if not, then we must wait for someone else.

Greg
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re: Translations from launchpad 8 years 6 months ago #5

• Leo2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I can review the translations, but I can not promise that I would be able to dedicate much time for that.

I see that there is a lot of uncorfimed translations in the launchpad, I believe that people will not try to offer their translations anymore if they see that there is no results (as I did). At least I will try to confirm part of them for you to include to updated language file.

PS. I can't find personal messaging feature in this forum - does it have it?

Re: Translations from launchpad 8 years 6 months ago #6

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
No PM. Use the email addresses provided in the PROFILE. They are only exposed to forum members, not the public.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• Page: