• Page:

TOPIC:

A couple of sillies ... 8 years 3 months ago #1

• ddrury
  • ddrury's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior
  • Senior
In the webtrees theme the title of the FAQ menu item on "My Page" is clipped on some languages (notably French & German but probably any with a long title)

Recent Changes module line 141 in module.php has the following code (why try to pluralise a constant?)

echo ' <em>', WT_I18N::plural('maximum %d day', 'maximum %d days', 30, 30), '</em>';

Dave
--
Dave

Local: Win 10 Pro/WSL Ubuntu 18.04.4, Nginx 1.14.0, PHP 7.4.5/7.3.17-1, Mysql 5.7.29-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
Production: Apache 2.2, PHP 7.3.15, 10.3.18-MariaDB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: A couple of sillies ... 8 years 3 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
<<why try to pluralise a constant>>

English just has "singular" and "plural". All plurals are the same.

In other languages, the plural noun gets inflected, so that "25 days" and "30 days" may have different spellings of "days".

Originally, the maximum value was a configuration setting. On slow sites, people would reduce it to something like 7 or 14. When we improved the performance, we removed the config option, and hard-coded 30.

We kept the existing translation. The alternative would be to get the a new translation for "maximum 30 days". Since we already had an existing translation, there seemed little point.

It also means that we can change the constant again (e.g. to 31 to cover full months?), without needing to get the text re-translated.

I'm pretty sure we do this elsewhere. It gives us some flexibility.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re: A couple of sillies ... 8 years 3 months ago #3

In the webtrees theme the title of the FAQ menu item on "My Page" is clipped on some languages (notably French & German but probably any with a long title)

That is largely the choice of the translators. Perhaps we should add a comment for them to know it is to be used in menus. Similar problems can exist with other menu items. But in the case of FAQ, I'm not even sure it should be translated in some languages. Is it not a "universal web term"?
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Re: A couple of sillies ... 8 years 3 months ago #4

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland

kiwi wrote: But in the case of FAQ, I'm not even sure it should be translated in some languages. Is it not a "universal web term"?

You'd think so indeed. But for instance in Catalan there's another abbreviation (PMF) while in Spanish they explain the foreign term FAQ inbetween brackets. Only a handful of languages keep it untranslated, eg. Danish & Polish. I can only speak of the Dutch language, where FAQ is the usual term and it's current translation was a totally new one to me. "VGV", what's that?? Oh, they meant FAQ !!

The clipping is not a huge problem I think, since in the dropped-down menu the term is shown in it's full glory.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Last edit: by bertkoor.

Re: A couple of sillies ... 8 years 3 months ago #5

I've just had another look at the FAQ menu item translation in relation to my own custom site. Currently (webtrees 1.2.7) the translation of "FAQ" is "Questions fréquentes (FAQ)" for the menus. Then on the FAQ page, the header "Frequently asked questions" is translated as "Foire aux questions (FAQ)".

So not only is the French translation inappropriate (too long) for use in Menus, it's inconsistent.

My recommendation to French translators would be to simply use "FAQ" for the menu and "Foire aux questions " for the page header.

Traduction:

Je viens de regarder encore une fois la traduction de l'élément de menu FAQ sur mon propre site personnalisé. Actuellement (webtrees 1.2.7) la traduction de FAQ (élément de menu) est « Questions fréquentes (FAQ) ». Puis sur la page FAQ, l'en-tête "Frequently asked questions" est traduit pas "Foire aux questions (FAQ)".

Alors non seulement la traduction française est inappropriée pour une utilisation dans les Menus mais elle n'est pas conséquente.

Je recommande aux traducteurs Français d'utiliser tout simplement "FAQ" pour l'élément de menu et "Foire aux questions" pour l'en-tête de la page.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Last edit: by kiwi.

Re: A couple of sillies ... 8 years 3 months ago #6

Hello,

IMHO, FAQ is perfectly good in French. FAQ = Foire Aux Questions and is well known.

In previous version, we had « Aide FAQ », then someone (not me) changed this to « Questions fréquentes (FAQ) » which is actually a litteral translation of « Frequently asked questions ».

Last edit: by Jackie.
  • Page: