Web based family history software

Question translation of the wiki in to Dutch

More
10 years 10 months ago #41 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
There were two links to the old forum. I have updated one, and deleted the other.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• makitso
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 10 months ago #42 by makitso
Replied by makitso on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
Peter,

I am wondering if it would not be easier if you just email Greg directly with requests since he now handles the wiki site.

Rob
www.skatekey.net ( webtrees 2.1 beta GitHub)
webtrees forum admin
PHP 8.1.21
Hosted at tigertech.net

• Peter Buyk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #43 by Peter Buyk
Replied by Peter Buyk on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
After a few pages translated I have difficults with the words "Administration and Manager.

In the Dutch translations they are translated as Beheerder, I have accomplished this translation on the other pages, but on the page I'm translating now it gives difficults

wiki.webtrees.net/en/Administration_pages

And then special for this line for example:

"NOTE: A "manager" will see a very limited range of administration options, related only to the family tree for which they have been assigned that role"

It would asume that the "manager" - "beheerder" has limited range of administration options, but that is not correct using the Dutch translation.

Pleasse some advice from Dutch users - Dutch language translators would be very help full.

More
10 years 10 months ago #44 by JustCarmen
Replied by JustCarmen on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
Peter, maybe you should stick to the current translation of the user roles. Currently there are 5 user roles:

Visitor - Bezoeker
Member - Lid
Editor - Bewerker
Moderator - Moderator
Manager - Beheerder

As you can see 'Moderator' has never been translated because in Dutch we can't give another name to this function. The only logical translation would be 'Beheerder' but then there is no distinction with the role of 'Manager' (Beheerder).

Maybe the current translation is not the best. Because Manager is a more common Dutch word then Moderator is. So maybe the translation for 'Moderator' should be 'Beheerder' and 'Manager' should be 'Manager'.

So I am curious what the opinion is of other Dutch users on this matter.

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar, Fancy Research Links and Fancy Treeview for webtrees 2

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #45 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
Hi,

What is the translation for the French word "Gestionnaire" in Dutch? I guess it is "Manager"

English "Moderator" is French "Gestionnaire".
English "Manager" is French "Administrateur".
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Jackie.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #46 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
@Jackie. Thats a worry. So what is the French translation for "Administrator"? In webtrees Administrator is a very different role to Manager (Manager has options related to specified trees; Administrator has total site permissions).

@JustCarmen. Whatever is decided, it is of course essential that the WIKI uses exactly the same words for these roles as webtrees itself, otherwise you will have some very confused users :-)

EDIT - Jackie, for my education, why doesn't the French translation use "Modérateur" ?
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by kiwi.

More
10 years 10 months ago #47 by JustCarmen

@JustCarmen. Whatever is decided, it is of course essential that the WIKI uses exactly the same words for these roles as webtrees itself, otherwise you will have some very confused users :-)

I totally agree with you. I am only questioning the current Dutch translation for Moderator and Manager. But of course the Wiki translation should be equal to the webrees translation.

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar, Fancy Research Links and Fancy Treeview for webtrees 2

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #48 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch

kiwi wrote: @Jackie. Thats a worry. So what is the French translation for "Administrator"? In webtrees Administrator is a very different role to Manager (Manager has options related to specified trees; Administrator has total site permissions).

EDIT - Jackie, for my education, why doesn't the French translation use "Modérateur" ?

Hi Nigel,

Sorry, my mistake. You are correct. My brain does not properly function today ! ;-)
Since I got up I tried to solve a Gmail issue.. without success. I guess I am better to rest. (smile)

And yes, I should have said:
Moderator = Modérateur
Manager = Gestionnaire
Administrator - Administrateur.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Jackie.

More
10 years 10 months ago #49 by fisharebest
If there is no suitable word for "Moderator ", perhaps there is one that describes the role:

Approver, Validator, etc.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Peter Buyk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #50 by Peter Buyk
The problem is that "administrator" is not translated in the Dutch language.

In the wiki the role of "administrator" is very often used, and the Dutch translation, and the Dutch translation has no word fo it.

When you install webtrees, and you make the first account for your self, then you are an "Administrator" and not an "Manager", I believe that is what is going wrong in the Dutch translation.

The first account should be "Administrator" - "Admin" and not "Beheerder"

More
10 years 10 months ago #51 by JustCarmen

When you install webtrees, and you make the first account for your self, then you are an "Administrator" and not an "Manager", I believe that is what is going wrong in the Dutch translation.

The first account should be "Administrator" - "Admin" and not "Beheerder"

But then the original text itself for the first account is inconsequent. In English the first role is indicated as 'Manager' and not as 'Administrator' (see screenshot). So I can imagine why the Dutch translation speaks of 'Beheerder' because that is a logical translation for 'Manager'.

I think the original text should be changed to Administrator. Then we could translate this role in Dutch to 'Admin' and we could use the word 'Beheerder' for 'Moderator'.

Carmen

Attachments:

More
10 years 10 months ago #52 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch

JustCarmen wrote: But then the original text itself for the first account is inconsequent. In English the first role is indicated as 'Manager' and not as 'Administrator' (see screenshot). So I can imagine why the Dutch translation speaks of 'Beheerder' because that is a logical translation for 'Manager'.

I think the original text should be changed to Administrator. Then we could translate this role in Dutch to 'Admin' and we could use the word 'Beheerder' for 'Moderator'.

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or you have missed / forgotten that in webtrees (in English) the roles of Administrator and Manager are quite separate and different. There are many admin options that Managers can not see or use.

Administrator does not exist in the drop-down roles you show in your image because those roles are ones that can be set for a specific family tree. Administrators are not linked to any tree. They have total access to the entire site to do and see anything / everything. There are two ways you can create or become an administrator:

1. When you first set up webtrees you as the creator are given the role "Administrator"
  2. You can make any registered user an "Administrator" by setting that option to "yes" in any user's acount details (see attached)

So no, it is not possible to change the original text (of Manager) to Administrator, as that would be extremely confusing.

I speak absolutely no Dutch, so forgive me if I'm interfering, but Google gives me this list of options. Surely you can find something acceptable among them? You need a total of FIVE roles: Administrator, Manager, Moderator, Editor, Member, Visitor

manager: manager
beheerder: administrator, manager, trustee, steward, curator, floorwalker
directeur: director, manager, managing director, president, principal, headmaster
bestuurder: driver, director, manager, pilot, administrator, governor
leider: leader, chief, manager, director, head, conductor
administrateur: administrator, manager, accountant, purser
gerant: manager
zetbaas: manager
curator: curator, receiver, trustee, guardian, official receiver, manager
moderator: moderator
bemiddelaar: mediator, intermediary, conciliator, intermediator, intercessor, moderator
moderateur: moderator
editor: editor
redacteur: editor, redactor, subeditor
bewerker: processor, editor, worker, adapter, operator, redactor
afgevaardigde: delegate, representative, deputy, member, secondary
aanhanger: supporter, follower, adherent, partisan, adept, member
bezoeker: visitor, guest, caller, comer, visitant, frequenter
inspecteur: inspector, examiner, supervisor, overseer, visitor

• Peter Buyk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #53 by Peter Buyk
Visitor - Bezoeker
Member - Lid
Editor - Bewerker
Moderator - Moderator
Manager - Beheerder
Administrator - Admin

The above list would solve the whole problem I have whit the translations, nothing has to be changed, only translate Administrator to Admin (first account made in your webtrees installation)

The first account made in webtrees (the admin account) has also automatticly the role of Manager (Beheerder), so there is little need for futher changes in the Dutch translaions language files, maybe on the My page (Mijn Pagina) the under the pull down menu the word word "Administration" (Beheer") should become "Administratie", because this is also often used in the Wiki for explaining the way how to reach the admin area.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Peter Buyk. Reason: Further information

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #54 by JustCarmen
I think this is a fine solution.

Because the two maintainers of the dutch translation have not react to this discussion yet, I have sent them an e-mail to let them know this discussion exists.
I hope they will agree with you and make the necessary changes to the dutch translation.

Carmen

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by JustCarmen.

More
10 years 10 months ago #55 by leozwaga
Replied by leozwaga on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
Sorry, but I disagree.
We have had a long discussion about maintaining some of the "untranslatable" English words.
Everybody knows what is meant by an "administrator". So keep that in the translation. It can be changed in "beheerder", for this function controls everything (which the word suggests).
The same for moderator. Keep that.
That leafs "manager". But that is a perfectly good Dutch word. (It's in the "Van Dale" - the Dutch language bible). So you can leave that as well. So we missed that in the new translations.
It's up to the wiki to explain the functions.

A manager is NOT a "beheerder"

From the Van Dale:
ma·na·ger [mennədzjər] (de; m,v; meervoud: managers)
1 iemand met een leidinggevende functie
2 iemand die de zakelijke belangen van artiesten, beroepssporters enz. behartigt

Leo
webtrees 1.7.9
Php: 7.0.22
MySQL: 5.6.36
(on 20-9-2017)

• wimniny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #56 by wimniny
Replied by wimniny on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
What is the difference between a manager and an administrator?? I cannot see any.

Wim.

More
10 years 10 months ago #57 by fisharebest
A manager can configure just one tree.

An administrator can configure the entire site.

More
10 years 10 months ago #58 by leozwaga
To make that more clear you could call a manager "tree manager"
(Dutch: "boom manager" )
or "data manager" (the same in Dutch)
Just to make clear this function does not manage everything.

Leo
webtrees 1.7.9
(on 20-9-2017)

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
10 years 10 months ago #59 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic translation of the wiki in to Dutch
Leo - Are you suggesting we fiddle with the master terminology? I hope not. Manager is the proper title for the role IMO. If, for some strange reason and more for lack of familiarity (which is hardly an excuse but more an admission of personal shortcomings) the Dutch need to augment the term with adjectives or modifiers, then - so be it - but frankly I would hope that wasn't necessary.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
10 years 10 months ago #60 by leozwaga
Manager works perfectly for me. Even in Dutch.

Leo
webtrees 1.7.9
(on 20-9-2017)