Web based family history software

Question For next release - Correct text or NEED update?

• Jackie
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #1 by Jackie
Hello,

I am working on the translation for the next release. I saw the following and I wonder if that is still correct or needs to be updated. I thought that we should not leave "blanks" between commas in place hierachy, because Google Maps can't manage them. Am I wrong?

#: help_text.php:330
msgid "Places should be entered according to the standards for genealogy. In genealogy, places are recorded with the most specific information about the place first and then working up to the least specific place last, using commas to separate the different place levels. The level at which you record the place information should represent the levels of government or church where vital records for that place are kept.<br><br>For example, a place like Salt Lake City would be entered as “Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA”.<br><br>Let’s examine each part of this place. The first part, “Salt Lake City,” is the city or township where the event occurred. In some countries, there may be municipalities or districts inside a city which are important to note. In that case, they should come before the city. The next part, “Salt Lake,” is the county. “Utah” is the state, and “USA” is the country. It is important to note each place because genealogical records are kept by the governments of each level.<br><br>If a level of the place is unknown, you should leave a space between the commas. Suppose, in the example above, you didn’t know the county for Salt Lake City. You should then record it like this: “Salt Lake City, , Utah, USA”. Suppose you only know that an individual was born in Utah. You would enter the information like this: “, , Utah, USA”. <br><br>You can use the <b>Find Place</b> link to help you find places that already exist in the database."

Line 10789 in the file fr_CA.po

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic For next release - Correct text or NEED update?
You're right - this needs to be updated. I'll do this later today.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
10 years 2 months ago #3 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic For next release - Correct text or NEED update?
How about this?

Place names should be entered as a comma-separated list of jurisdictions, starting with the smallest, and ending with the country.

For example, “Scranton, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, USA” or “Pennsylvania, USA”.

Is there anything else that needs to be included?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Jackie
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #4 by Jackie
Hello Greg,

That seems to be correct. Should we talk about consistency as that was a frequent situation of many users?
For example : do not use Lackawanna Co. if you first used Lackawanna County.. be consistent in spelling, etc.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Jackie.

More
10 years 2 months ago #5 by WGroleau
I would mention consistency, but not make a big deal out of it, because webtrees allows the admin to specify as many synonyms and abbreviations of “county” as he wants. I have them spelled out and abbreviated in three languages.

--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/