TOPIC: [SOLVED] Media object TYPE card

Media object TYPE card 3 years 3 months ago #1

• mp
  • Junior
What does mean media object TYPE card? The german translation card/Karte is the same as for map/Karte so that it is difficult to distinguish both in the drop down menu. Thanks for clarification.
Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Media object TYPE card 3 years 3 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
I always assumed it was this type of card:

library.ucsc.edu/sites/default/files/ima...ages/Rowland_box.jpg
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Media object TYPE card 3 years 3 months ago #3

• Jackie
  • Platinum
Hi,

I use "map/Karte" for maps such as old maps of a place. "card/Karte" is for cards such as Greg mentionned but also birthday cards, funeral cards, marriage anniversary cards, etc.

Media object TYPE card 3 years 3 months ago #4

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
GEDCOM say the following:
SOURCE_MEDIA_TYPE:= {Size=1:15} [ audio | book | card | electronic | fiche | film | magazine | manuscript | map | newspaper | photo | tombstone | video ]
A code, selected from one of the media classifications choices above, that indicates the type of material in which the referenced source is stored

This is found within the FILE.FORM.TYPE structure.

Saying you have a file at "path", the file is in the format of [ bmp | gif | jpg | ole | pcx | tif | wav ] and the type of source that represents, [audio | book | card | electronic |...]
Ken

Media object TYPE card 3 years 3 months ago #5

• Jackie
  • Platinum
Just remembered that we had this kind of ambiguity in French with names TYPE birth and TYPE maiden.
We had the translation "Nom à la naissance" for both of them. We changed that for "Nom à la naissance" (birth) and "Nom de jeune fille" (maiden), even if both could be the name at birth.

ps: I still have mistakes in my database because of that: "maiden" name for men !
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jackie.

[SOLVED] Media object TYPE card 3 years 2 months ago #6

• mp
  • Junior
Problem solved.

Thanks to all. I think it is easier to change the translation of maps, as an appropriate short translation of card. Now at least I have an idea for the use of card.
Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by mp.