TOPIC:

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #21

• xavax
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Now the attachment is working. I will install the last trunk (10574) and let you know later. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #22

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
<<3. Does my code need stylistic or other changes to fit better into the project? If so, what's the best way to get that done without making the output wrong?>>

The Spanish text needs removing from the code to the translation files. This is because:

1) if other languages use the same rules, they will be able to use the same code
2) by convention, code should always be written in en_US

I guess these are just ordinal words (first, second, third, etc.)

For the final switch() statement, I'm guessing that you construct phrases such as

"great-great-nephew" + "the sixth"

In this case, it might be better to have translations for "First %s", "Second %s", "Third %s", with male/female context strings.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #23

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Wes - I have made some changes to your code. Hopefully I haven't broken any of the logic!

Can you take a look at this?

Obviously, the new texts are untranslated, so you'll see "second XXX" instead of "XXX segunda".

Greg
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #24

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Oops - I forgot you cannot attach .PHP files. Try again....

Last edit: by kiwi.

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #25

Greg - you can't attach one WITH ".php" in the file name either (see my earlier edit of Wes' post #17)

Your attachment re-attached here:

File Attachment:

File Name: functions.zip
File Size:29 KB

I have amended the FORUM HELP to reflect this.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:
Attachments:

Last edit: by kiwi.

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #26

• WGroleau
  • WGroleau's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold
  • Gold

Hopefully I haven't broken any of the logic

Hopefully the logic wasn’t broken before!

I will take a look at this and your forum suggestions sometime tomorrow today. I should have been in bed before it became today. :-)

Assuming my table is correct, my testing gave the right answers, but it will be good to see if others happen to try combos I might not have tried.

I'm pretty confident of my table—other than the fact that I had to fix cut-n-paste errors in it about a dozen times!
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/
PHP 7.2.15; MySQL 5.6.40; Apache

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #27

• WGroleau
  • Gold
  • Gold
I am comparing files now. A problem is that I have no way to test, as these strings are not in the release. Is there a way to get an es.mo file from an es.po file that I have added these strings into? Oh, yeah, I can't even get a .po file to start from right now! :-(

I am thinking that
>default: return WT_I18N::translate_c('MALE/FEMALE', '%1$d x %2$s', $n, $relation);
might not work well. My sources are not clear on what happens when you get that many steps away. But it might be OK. I'm still comparing and thinking.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Last edit: by WGroleau.

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #28

• WGroleau
  • Gold
  • Gold
I don't understand
// The path does not include the starting person.
	$sex1=$person1 ? $person1->getSex() : 'U';
The comment is new, and I don't understand how it relates to the code. But the code is old, and I don't get it either. It looks to me like "If the first person is true (what is a "true" person?) then the sex is the person (how can a person be a sex? Is this a smart cast?) and otherwise sex is unknown.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Re:Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #29

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This evaluates to "if $person1 is specified (i.e. not null), then use their sex. Otherwise unknown".

It is a necessary/temporary hack to cope with the way we call this function recursively to generate relationships such as "third cousin's second cousin's great-uncle"

Another try at explaining? 9 years 6 months ago #30

• WGroleau
  • Gold
  • Gold

fisharebest wrote: Hopefully I haven't broken any of the logic!

Well, somebody has broken the logic, though it could have been me. :-)

Anyway, it doesn’t get the right terms and my first attempt to fix it made it worse.

I understand the pattern, but I think I need to do a better job of expressing it in terms of "rules"

Here are some of my sources, for those who read Spanish:
www.dropby.com/indexLF.html?content=/Genealogia/parentesco.html
www.tuabogadodefensor.com/01ecd193df140f...index_PARENTESCO.htm
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parentesco
www.ofsgto.gob.mx/doctos/pdf/506/50600320070101.pdf

Notice the last one is from a Mexican government website, and two of them state that the terms are defined by law in some countries. (Which suggests that they might appear in legal documents of interest to genealogists.)

Based on those source, with great difficulty, I came up with UniGen.us/Parentesco.html which still has typos in it after several correction passes! A different way of looking at the upper half of that is UniGen.us/Parentesco-D.html

I think the second way makes it a little easier to see the pattern. It was certainly much easier to type than the first one!
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Re: One bug identified 9 years 6 months ago #31

• WGroleau
  • Gold
  • Gold
I did figure out a bug.

Attached is a version with Greg's approach but correcting a simple bug.

File Attachment:

File Name: functions.zip
File Size:30 KB

This version is suitable for SVN 10616 and later, at least up to 10625. It does have some debugging code in it (inserts trace comments into the HTML) It gets correct terms for "fourth cousin," "fourth cousin once removed ascending" and gets the gender correct.

It gets almost the correct term for "fourth cousin once removed descending." I think that's a translator error (mea culpa) rather than a bug but I'll look into that another day.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/
Attachments:

Last edit: by WGroleau.

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #32

• xavax
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mr. Groleau, perhaps this links can help even more to clarify the rules or names of relationship in spanish.

Nomenclatura de parentesco en español

Parentesco 8 generaciones

About your tables, Im not sure if the use of pentabuelo, hexabuelo, etc; is better than using ordinal numbers like quinto, sexto, etc.

I forgot to ask you if you need help translating common text of webtrees.

Last edit: by xavax.

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #33

• WGroleau
  • Gold
  • Gold

Nomenclatura de parentesco en español

Interesting They agree with the lawyers on parts but not on others. They didn’t appear in my research. They also don’t cover some of the areas (suegros, cuñados, consuegros, concuños, yernos, nueras, etc.) I think we should stick with the code we have. There is a great shortage of info on this, but the version I ended up with showed up more often than this one. A score of three to one is pretty flimsy, but two of the three are lawyers who say these are the legal terms in several countries. The second link is a duplicate of this one—and I will admit to being a little leery of a source whose website blocks access to anyone not using Internet Explorer.

About your tables, Im not sure if the use of pentabuelo, hexabuelo, etc; is better than using ordinal numbers like quinto, sexto, etc.

I'm not either. But that's what showed up in my research. However, I will continue to look at it. Do you have any personal experience with the terms? I think the reason there is so little information out there is that most people never use those terms. We just say primo, tío, sobrino, verdad?

I forgot to ask you if you need help translating common text of webtrees. and earlier: My mother language is spanish, my english is awful, but I can help if you want

Me parece que su inglés sea tan bueno como mi español.

It would be great if you would put in translations or suggestions or tell me any that seem incorrect to you. A lot of good people have contributed, but I do think I have found some errors (and made some errors!)
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #34

• xavax
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mr. Groleau

Your right about to stick with what we have right now because even in the hispanic genealogy forums there is sort of battle about it from time to time, but always they settle for the Dr. Fernando Romero Oltra solution so far. My personal experience is using the grades after the 4th generation, like "tatarabuelo quinto" same thing that "trastatarabuelo", but is about personal preferences. In a second though I believe Dr. Romero solution is easy, even if they use made up words.

I download the PO format file of webtrees translations, I never work before in that kind of document, so if you have some suggestion I will appreciate.

I download your new functions.php, i will check again with my gedcom and let you know.

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #35

• WGroleau
  • Gold
  • Gold

in the hispanic genealogy forums … always they settle for the Dr. Fernando Romero Oltra solution so far

Can you point me to one or more of these forums? I didn't find any in my research.

personal [preference] is using the grades after the 4th generation, like "tatarabuelo quinto" same thing that "trastatarabuelo"

Thanks, I will have to consider that. It would simplify the code.

I never work before [PO format], so if you have some suggestion

It might be easier at first to use the online interface. Click "translations" and then "Spanish." There will be a menu that says "All translations" which you can change to other categories. If you aren't certain you understood the English, you can check "somebody should review." A lot of the translations in there now were not done by native speakers, so your suggestions would be welcome.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #36

• xavax
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Spanish forums:

Red Iris Account needed.
Here you can find some threads about the terminology, they go back to almost ten years ago. Keywords: romerofr, terminología, nomenclatura, bisabuelos, pentabuelo.

Hispagen Account needed.

There are many yahoo groups devoted to hispanic genealogy but they are quite fragmented or unatended.

There are a few tendencies about the use of the correct "terms" some people use pentabuelo, hexabuelo, others use the classic quinto abuelo, sexto abuelo, some others discuse if this is correct and choose bisabuelo segundo, bisabuelo tercero, way too confusing.

I cant remember where I read that the (ta)(ta)rabuelo is just a translation from the english (great)(great)grandparent, perhaps thats why professional genealogist choose the quinto abuelo or abuelo quinto solution.

I will keep looking on this matter, I know there is a good and big hispanic forum/list, but I can recall the name, I have to ask to someone else.

I hope it helps.

Mr. Groleau, should I join the webtrees_es team or my translations works anyway?

Last edit: by xavax.

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #37

• WGroleau
  • Gold
  • Gold
Thanks for the forum pointers. I haven't had time to look at them yet.

Mr. Groleau, should I join the webtrees_es team or my translations works anyway?

I’m not sure. Let me check on how this should work and get back to you.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 6 months ago #38

• WGroleau
  • Gold
  • Gold

Best thing to do for now is use the online interface to suggest better translations, or set it to show only items with no translations and put in suggestions for those.

If you see a text in the program that is not well-written or poorly translated, you can use the search box in the translation interface to get to it quickly.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 3 months ago #39

Hello,
excuse me for using this old topic but my question seems related to it.
with 1.1.2 version, names for relationship have changed and are difficult to read.

My uncle's wife (my father's brother's wife) is called "father's father's son's wife" in english and "père de père de fils → femme" in french .... that does not mean anything.
Other example, the son of my cousin is called "father's father's father's father's son's son's son" ("père de père de père de père de fils de fils de fils" in french) !
Former naming was not perfect but still more meaningful than this one.
I guess a multilanguage naming is really very difficult.
Are there changes expected for next version ?

If help needed for french, i'm ready for it.
If you need help for dutch language, i can find.
i'd need a list of english words to be translated.

Thanks and regards,
André

Last edit: by avdl.

Re: Testers wanted! 9 years 3 months ago #40

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Two issues here.

1) There are two translation strings used to generate this.

%s's %s
%s's %s's %s

It looks like french has translated the first (as "%s →%s"), but not the second (%s → %s → %s)

2) webtrees cannot find the relationship. Are you sure it is an uncle (father's brother), and not a father's half-brother. I have just looked in my own tree, and it is correctly finding a "father's brother's wife" relationship, and calling it "aunt".