TOPIC: Translating long sentences in reports

Translating long sentences in reports 1 year 3 months ago #1

• hsarslan
  • New
Hi,

I found that long sentences in reports (e.g. ancastor report) generated by report.xml under modules directory.

Example;
"Princess Mary of Teck was born‎1 May 26, 1867 in Kensington, London, England. She married ‎2
King George V July 6, 1893 in City of Westminster, London, England. She died‎1 March 24,
1953 in City of Westminster, London, England. She was buried‎1 March 31, 1953 in Windsor,
Berkshire, England."

This auto generated sentences are not suitable for some languages such as Turkish language.
How can we fix this problem.

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Translating long sentences in reports 1 year 3 months ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Actually these long sentences are built up from very short fragments like "She died at", "She was married with".
I can imagine that in other languages the sentence order can be very different, so that leads to problems.

Having said that, Greg writes a couple of times a year a reply like this here in the forum, already for the past five years or so:

Some moons ago, fisharebest wrote:
The whole reporting system is a little antiquated and inflexible. I don't think it supports [...].

I'd like to rewrite all the reports in native code (instead of custom XML), and to use a newer libary so we can create Word/Excel files as well as PDF.

Just maybe the Fancy Treeview uses a different translation mechanism. You can try that instead of the default narrative reports of webtrees. But chances are JustCarmen has simply reused whatever sentences already were available...
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by bertkoor.

Translating long sentences in reports 1 year 3 months ago #3

• hsarslan
  • New
Thank you for quick reply.
It does not seem as easy as I can do myself.