TOPIC: [SOLVED] Accessing / reusing webtrees' translation files

Accessing / reusing Webtrees' translation files 1 year 8 months ago #1

• trejder
  • Junior
I'm creating a small and privately used .ged-files based reporting program and I am currently at a stage of translating it from Polish to English. I'm having a serious troubles in relation translation. Can I use webtrees translations (which seems just perfect for these two languages) as a base of / to aid to my work?

If yes, then which files in source code I should take into consideration when talking about English<->Polish translation?

webtrees is an open source and is free. Does the same goes for translation files or are they copyrighted by their creators?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Accessing / reusing Webtrees' translation files 1 year 8 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
The translation files are released under the same open-source licence (GPLv3) as the rest of the code.

For private projects, there are no restrictions. You can use them in any way you choose.

But if you *distribute* them (e.g. publish/share/etc.), then your project must also follow the GPLv3 licence.

The Polish translations can be found in the file language/pl.po
Some of the logic for Polish relationships can be found in the file app/Functions/Functions.php
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

[SOLVED] Accessing / reusing webtrees' translation files 1 year 8 months ago #3

• trejder
  • Junior
Problem solved.

Accessing / reusing Webtrees' translation files 1 year 8 months ago #4

• trejder
  • Junior
Thank you for a detailed explanation.

No, I never meant to distribute unmodified version of this source code (and I am aware of GPLv3 requirements).

I only wanted to use it as a base for my own investigation / crafting my own algorithm or reuse just a small pieces (2-3 lines) of source code, heavily modified to fit my own solution.

I understand that in this case I'm not obligated to publish my product under GPLv3 / publish source code of my product?

Accessing / reusing Webtrees' translation files 1 year 8 months ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
If you are not distributing your software, then you do not need to publish the source or add a licence.

Use and enjoy!
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net