• Page:

TOPIC:

Change Dutch translation of 'Registered partnership' 3 weeks 3 days ago #1

• TheDutchJewel
  • TheDutchJewel's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
In the Dutch version of messages.php, 'Registered partnership' is translated as 'Samenlevingscontract'.

This is not the correct translation, because it should be 'Geregistreerd partnerschap'.

For the differences between 'huwelijk, geregistreerd partnerschap en samenlevingscontract' see on this page of the Dutch government:
Wat is het verschil tussen een huwelijk, geregistreerd partnerschap en samenlevingscontract?

I propose to change the translation of 'Registered partnership' in the Dutch messages.php into 'Geregistreerd partnerschap'.
webtrees v2.x with modules (Rural Theme, Tree View Full Screen, webtrees-fan-chart, Vesta Classic Look & Feel, Vesta Extended Relationships)
on desktop with Win 10 Home x64, XAMPP x64, Edge and Firefox (latest versions)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Change Dutch translation of 'Registered partnership' 3 weeks 2 days ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Platinum
  • Platinum
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Hi,

webtrees is based on the GEDCOM 5.5.1 specs, which does not explicitly state what types of marriage are allowed. The type of a marriage is considered free text according to the specs. There is a new 5.5.5 spec that has a list of suggested marriage types:

Gedcom 5.5.5 specs wrote: .
The nature of the relationship is documented by the optional MARR.TYPE subrecord, and GEDCOM 5.5.5 provides a list of the common MARR.TYPE values and their meaning in the definition of the <<FAM_GROUP_RECORD>>.

value                   description
--------------------    --------------------------
unknown                 relationship (type unknown)
marriage                marriage
not married             not married
civil                   civil marriage
religious               religious marriage
common law              common law marriage
partnership             partnership
registered partnership  registered partnership
living together         living together
living apart together   living apart together

Some thoughts of the v5.5.5 specs author on the blog of Tamura Jones:
www.tamurajones.net/MarriageInGEDCOM.xhtml
www.tamurajones.net/GEDCOMRelationships.xhtml

Currently webtrees defines three types of marriage: Civil, Religious and Partners
(source code: github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/blob/6b9...nsEdit.php#L606-L608 )

In The Netherlands we have both 'Samenlevingscontract' and 'Geregistreerd Partnerschap', but neither has the exact same meaning as 'Partners' (which is a bit vague in definition imho)
English wiki articles:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_partnership
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samenlevingscontract
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_union#Netherlands

I can understand why "Samenlevingscontract" is the preferred & chosen option in webtrees, since "Geregistreerd Partnerschap" quite often is a same-sex marriage. Yes, it is no rule. I am not married but registered partner without a cohabitation contract with my wife myself!

I have the impression that the current list of marriage types is not straight forward to use for English users that might expect common law, civil partnership or whatever they call it. Other countries and cultures will have similar struggles.

One problem with changing an existing translation is that there are dozens of users that have picked the Dutch type 'Samenlevingscontract' from the drop-down list for ages, and upon an update will be confronted with an unwanted change of terminology.

And it might have implications on the labels Husband - Wife - Partner - etcetera
see e.g. www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/help...omme-concubine#78170

Long story short: you can edit the Marriage event, click on Edit Raw GEDCOM and enter this:
1 MARR
2 TYPE Geregistreerd Partnerschap

Just some points to consider...
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Last edit: by bertkoor.

Change Dutch translation of 'Registered partnership' 3 weeks 2 days ago #3

• TheDutchJewel
  • TheDutchJewel's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
Thanks for your advice to change the TYPE:
1 MARR
2 TYPE Geregistreerd partnerschap

Same approache if the registered partnership has ended?
1 DIV
2 TYPE Partnerschapsscheiding
webtrees v2.x with modules (Rural Theme, Tree View Full Screen, webtrees-fan-chart, Vesta Classic Look & Feel, Vesta Extended Relationships)
on desktop with Win 10 Home x64, XAMPP x64, Edge and Firefox (latest versions)

• Page: