Web based family history software

Question 1 French translation issue + 1 conversion issue

More
2 years 4 months ago #1 by a2v
Hello everybody,

In the French translation, I found one issue : in an EVENT_DETAIL, in the SOURCE_CITATION, the tag PAGE is translated as "Détails de la citation" while the expected content is a "Specific location with in the information referenced..." (WHERE_WITHIN_SOURCE). A better translation should be "Emplacement de la citation" (and maybe in English "Citation location")

And in the code, I found one conversion issue : in an EVENT_DETAIL, in the SOURCE_CITATION, in the EVEN, the content must be a EVENT_ATTRIBUTE_TYPE (ADOP | BIRT | BAPM | BARM | BASM etc...) but neither in the "Facts and events" view, nor in the event editing view, the ATTRIBUTE is converted in a readable format (Adoption, Birth, Baptism etc...) ; screenshots attached

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic 1 French translation issue + 1 conversion issue
> but neither in the "Facts and events" view, nor in the event editing view, the ATTRIBUTE is converted in a readable format

Thanks for reporting. This will be fixed in the next release.

> the tag PAGE is translated as "Détails de la citation"
> A better translation should be "Emplacement de la citation" (and maybe in English "Citation location")

The existing text has been used for a very long time.
If it was wrong, unclear or ambiguous, then I would change it.

But it seems OK to me.
Perhaps others have an opinion...

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
2 years 4 months ago #3 by Sir Peter
Replied by Sir Peter on topic 1 French translation issue + 1 conversion issue
About the tag PAGE, on page 64 the GEDCOM 5.5.1 specification says "WHERE_WITHIN_SOURCE := Specific location with in the information referenced. For a published work, this could include the volume of a multi-volume work and the page number(s). For a periodical, it could include volume, issue, and page numbers. For a newspaper, it could include a column number and page number. For an unpublished source or microfilmed works, this could be a film or sheet number, page number, frame number, etc. A census record might have an enumerating district, page number, line number, dwelling number, and family number. The data in this field should be in the form of a label and value pair, such as Label1: value, Label2: value, with each pair being separated by a comma. For example, Film: 1234567, Frame: 344, Line: 28."

I think the word location is somewhat misleading in this context and should not be translated with "Ort" (German) or "emplacement" (French). To me the different examples in the GEDCOM specification indicate that there is no simple translation that will fit all situations. Therefore I'd prefer to keep the existing wording and use "details". The word details is very general and thereby covers all situations.

Peter

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #4 by a2v
Hello Sir Peter,

Thanks for your feedback.

I think the word location is somewhat misleading in this context
I'm surprised by your opinion... because the official GEDCOM definition starts by "= Specific location with in the information referenced".
Then, how can you affirm that "location" is misleading..?

For me, and that's why I opened this topic, "Citation details" is far from "Citation location". "details" is larger and more or less blurred.

But, let me know, which sort of "Citation details" do you put in PAGE if it's not only the location of the citation with in the document ?

Thanks.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by a2v.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 4 months ago #5 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic 1 French translation issue + 1 conversion issue
The GEDCOM "PAGE" tag is rather open ended in that it can be a website, an actual page number, a time stamp in a recorded interview, a paragraph number in a written interview, enumeration information detail, etc... This list of possibilities is almost endless.

In GEDCOM the "SOURCE_RECORD" does not contain any information (the detail) about where to find the actual data within the source material. So the "PAGE" tag contains the "Detail Location" within the source of where to find the actual data. In this case Detail and Location are not two separate concepts but the same concept. The "Detail Text" of the quoted information goes in another place.

So it is the field that is "The Detail of the Citation" because the citation is by definition is

"A citation is the way you tell your readers that certain material in your work came from another source and gives your readers the information necessary to find that source again."

The "PAGE" tag is the "Detail" part of a footnote that include the additional information found in the Source_Record!

I hope this helps you all to understand that "PAGE" is a part of a bigger citation building process!

Ken

More
2 years 4 months ago #6 by Sir Peter
Replied by Sir Peter on topic 1 French translation issue + 1 conversion issue
I just think that location is not the best phrase to use in this context because its translation may lead to something unintentend, but I don't want to nit pick. It could be a page number, a volume number, a film number, etc., as part of something bigger, e. g. a specific page in a book or newspaper, a specific volume in a series of books, a specific film in a collection of films in an archive, even a specific scene (from hh:mm:ss to ...) of a movie. GEDCOM provides many degrees of freedom when dealing with repositories, sources and citations and only you can decide what's best for you.

Yes, "details" is larger and more or less blurred and I think that's exactly what we need here.

Peter

More
2 years 3 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #7 by laisne

Hello everybody,

In the French translation, I found one issue : in an EVENT_DETAIL, in the SOURCE_CITATION, the tag PAGE is translated as "Détails de la citation" while the expected content is a "Specific location with in the information referenced..." (WHERE_WITHIN_SOURCE). A better translation should be "Emplacement de la citation" (and maybe in English "Citation location")

And in the code, I found one conversion issue : in an EVENT_DETAIL, in the SOURCE_CITATION, in the EVEN, the content must be a EVENT_ATTRIBUTE_TYPE (ADOP | BIRT | BAPM | BARM | BASM etc...) but neither in the "Facts and events" view, nor in the event editing view, the ATTRIBUTE is converted in a readable format (Adoption, Birth, Baptism etc...) ; screenshots attached

Thanks.

Yes, your translation is better

Армен Меружанович Саркисян лотерея столото s8
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by laisne.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #8 by avdl

Hello everybody,

The location to be mentioned is the location of the citation inside the source document (volume / chapitre / numéro de microfilm / page / vue / paragraphe / ...)
The new translation "Emplacement de la citation" would then have to be "Emplacement de la citation dans la source" ... that is to say "Détails de la citation" or "Détails de la citation dans la source" (Emplacement me semble trop géographique; c'est juste un avis et je préfère garder la traduction actuelle).

webtrees 2.1.16 with Vesta Extended Relationship, Fancy Research Links, Faces - Ghezibde is hosted by webtrees hosting
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by avdl.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #9 by ShirleenBrundidge
Replied by ShirleenBrundidge on topic 1 French translation issue + 1 conversion issue
Ok I got it.
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by ShirleenBrundidge.