Web based family history software

Question Residence and occupation should precede marriage

• caoimhin
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #1 by caoimhin
A small suggestion. Marriage records often include information on the residence and occupation of the bride and groom prior to the marriage. Rather than adding this as a note to the marriage record, I like to add this, separately for the bride and groom, as a residence record with a note about the occupation if any. However, if I give this the same date as the marriage, webtrees places it after the marriage in the person's timeline, which is inappropriate since they usually move together after the marriage, and one or other of them may give up previous work. To counter this, I have been in the habit of giving the residence record a date one day before the date of the marriage so as to get the records in the right order. This is a bit artificial, though, and I think it would be better if webtrees placed the marriage last when it coincides with the date of a residence or occupation record.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #2 by thomas52
It seems the key here is "usually." "Occupation" includes the same data as "residence," except adds the occupation to the other data.
Marriage, residence & occupation are all dated events, so if the marriage is a specific date, simply show the occupation as "BEF" that date.
Your solution works. But I have often seen a marriage occur BEFORE the occupation, as a graduation may be followed by a marriage followed a move to a new residence and starting the new job.
I'm not sure a "forced" sequence is a good idea, but open to discussion.

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #3 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Residence and occupation should precede marriage
The sort order is defined in the code here:
github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/blob/267...p/Fact.php#L461-L516

In general, people marry near the start of their lives, and have most of their occupation/residence after that.

I would guess that most OCCU records belong after the MARR. If there is a consensus, I can change it.

You could use "before" dates. e.g. "BEF 12 FEB 2013" will sort before "12 FEB 2013".

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• caoimhin
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #4 by caoimhin
Ahh! I didn't think of using BEF. And it works. Silly me - I should have thought of that. I'll use it from now on - Thanks! And AFT places the event after the marriage record.

I still think, though, that the default should be for events for an individual coinciding with his or her marriage date to be listed before the marriage rather than after, since that is the more common scenario. And using BEF might possibly give a false impression that the residence or occupation ceased on the marriage date, which might not be the case. So it would be useful to have the option of leaving it out.

• caoimhin
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #5 by caoimhin
Replying to Greg's point that "In general, people marry near the start of their lives, and have most of their occupation/residence after that".

Yes, I can see that, and I understand now why OCCU and RESI are sorted after MARR if dates are missing. When dates are given and are the identical, though, it would probably be a bit better if MARR was sorted to the end, on the grounds that the other information probably came from the marriage register and related to the bride and groom before they were married. Not a big issue, though, and even less important now that I know that I can use BEF.