Please do NOT expect all Feature Requests to be actioned automatically. Describing your proposal here will ensure the development team are aware of it, and they will give it careful consideration.

TOPIC: preferred first name, usual first name

preferred first name, usual first name 1 week 6 days ago #1

• jiel
  • New
In many countries, people can have multiple first names. For example Elizabeth II, queen of the United Kingdom. She is known as Elizabeth Windsor, but her full name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor. The usual first name is not always the first one.
George VI, king of the United Kingdom, was Albert Frederick Arthur George Windsor. Sometimes, it can also the 2nd first name among 4 which is the usual first name.
Knowing the usual first name for someone is useful, because sometimes he/she is only mentioned in the acts of his/her relatives by this usual first name only. So if someone is called "George" in a death certificate, this is probably him as it was his usual first name, but if someone is called Albert, it is probably not him, as it was not his usual first name.
It gives also an information about the family. Was my grand father John Pieter David called by his family John, Pieter, David, or John Pieter?
I would love to have a field to mention this. There is a field "nickname" but I don't think it is accurate for an usual/preferred first name.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

preferred first name, usual first name 1 week 6 days ago #2

• kiwi
  • Platinum
The standard method, and one used by webtrees, is to add an asterisk (*) after the usual or preferred given name.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

preferred first name, usual first name 1 week 5 days ago #3

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
Ken
Moderators: makitso