Please do NOT expect all Feature Requests to be actioned automatically. Describing your proposal here will ensure the development team are aware of it, and they will give it careful consideration.

TOPIC: Reorder sources

Reorder sources 6 months 1 week ago #1

• norpan
  • New
Hi,
I often add multiple sources to the "RESI" fact, since people may have lived a long time in a specific place and my source is a number of church books in order.
I like those sources to be in chronological order, but when I add a new source it always ends up last.

So currently I edit the raw GEDCOM, but it would be great if there was a simple way to reorder sources.

This applies both to individuals and families, I track both through church books.
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by norpan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reorder sources 6 months 1 week ago #2

• norpan
  • New
Here is an example of how it might look:

Reorder sources 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

• WGroleau
  • Gold
Is it OK to have multiple PAGE on one SOUR?

[+] title of source Källa: … kyrkoarkiv, …ängder …51/A
PAGE book: I; page:   9 b (1808-1813)
PAGE book: I; page: 10 b (1814-1819)
PAGE book: I; page: 11 b (1820-1825)
etc.

Doesn't avoid editing raw, but it might make for a better display
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/
PHP 7.2.15; MySQL 5.6.40; Apache

Reorder sources 1 month 3 weeks ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
The GEDCOM spec says only one.

The webtrees code that edits citations only expects one. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure it will lose all but the first.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Reorder sources 1 month 3 weeks ago #5

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
Most citation styles, MLA, Chicago, etc. allow for nonconsecutive pages to the same source as a list separated by commas. For example: (5, 7, 10). Consecutive pages are cited as (5-7).

An alternative to listing the pages you can also use (5+), the + indicates additional pages in the text. Since the fact you are citing is first noted on page 5 any additional citations of the same fact would/could be redundant. In the case of citations that show time continuum I might show each page in a list or treat each year as a new citation but to the same source. For brevity however, the page list makes most sense.
Ken

Reorder sources 1 month 3 weeks ago #6

• norpan
  • New
In this case it’s not just different pages, but different books altogether. Sometimes they are in the same book, but not connected at all, so it may as well be different citations.

Reorder sources 1 month 3 weeks ago #7

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
Norpan, Yes you would need multiple Source-citation tags in the event/fact to support multiple source books. My answer was more to the question posed by Wes about how to document multiple PAGE tags in one source-citation.

As far as ordering the actual source-citation in a given event/fact, other than using raw GEDCOM I don’t know of a way. This may need to be an enhancement.
Ken