Please do NOT expect all Feature Requests to be actioned automatically. Describing your proposal here will ensure the development team are aware of it, and they will give it careful consideration.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Modify table looks for individuals

Modify table looks for individuals 1 week 1 day ago #1

• kevyNC
  • kevyNC's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
Not sure how feasible this would be with a custom module. How difficult would it be to write a custom module to change the appearance of the tables. I have only limited knowledge of Php. I would like to mimic the appear of the TNG look & feel see screenshot below.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Modify table looks for individuals 1 week 1 day ago #2

This is definitely possible with a custom module, and not too complicated in general if you only want to replace this specific tab.

From your screenshot I don't see how more complex facts and events are handled, though: What about facts with media objects, sources, notes/ shared notes, and associates? Where is all this displayed in TNG?

Maybe a less complex adjustment would also help?
The current webtrees layout of facts and events wastes a lot of space on wide displays. This could be improved e.g. by outputting facts and event details in two columns on large screens (e.g. description, date and place in the first column, all other details in a second column).
Richard

webtrees 2.0.4 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Custom modules for 1.7.x and 2.x (Extended Relationships, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Compact Themes Adjuster) available at cissee.de

Modify table looks for individuals 1 week 1 day ago #3

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
I think what needs to be built is called a Theme, which since v2.0.0 is a special kind of module.

I'd start with changing the styling, only css changes.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Modify table looks for individuals 1 week 1 day ago #4

• kevyNC
  • New
  • New
FYI
this is a sample link
lythgoes.net/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I354&tree=

I agree that part of the solution would be a new theme/style. Also, something less complex, but I was hoping for something similar in appearance in look , feel and interaction.

Modify table looks for individuals 1 week 1 day ago #5

Css styling can change the layout a bit. You may be able to achieve a two-column display with css only. But if you actually want to have the data re-ordered as in TNG, you'll have to re-implement the entire view of the tab:

Webtrees lists all data under the respective fact. TNG apparently collects data, such as sources (and notes? Also media?), from all facts and displays it separately, see e.g. here (scroll all the way down to 'Sources'). That's a rather more complex adjustment.

The view file in question is 'resources\views\modules\personal_facts\tab.phtml'. Unfortunately the code that actually displays the facts hasn't been converted to views yet (it's all within 'FunctionsPrintFacts::printFact'), see this issue .

Also note that the TNG 'Individual' tab displays additional data, which in webtrees is displayed on other tabs ('Families' and 'Places'). Do you want all of this on a single webtrees tab?
Richard

webtrees 2.0.4 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Custom modules for 1.7.x and 2.x (Extended Relationships, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Compact Themes Adjuster) available at cissee.de

Modify table looks for individuals 1 week 20 hours ago #6

What a funny question! If you want to use the look and feel of TNG, why do you not use TNG?

I was an active user of TNG from 2011 to 2016 and I did not expect webtrees to look the same. Each of the two programs has certain advantages and disadvantages over the other.

Sorry, my comment probably wasn't helpful right now. :)
Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de

Modify table looks for individuals 1 week 20 hours ago #7

• kevyNC
  • New
  • New
yes both have different pros/cons. Overall I like WebTrees better with the exception of how info is displayed. Both display information better than the other competitors in my opinion. One of the main reasons I switched to WebTrees was because the setting allowed and prevent private info from being displayed. The way modules are installed are simpler.

I guess I wish I could merge the two together but I am probably not talented enough for that. Thanks :)

• Page: