Web based family history software

Question Make NOTEs that consist of just a URL clickable

More
3 years 9 months ago #1 by edsch
Ancestry.com is fond of emitting NOTEs of the form:
3 NOTE www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenwichtime/...thorenz&pid=91319685

When displayed in the Notes tab in webtrees, the URL isn't clickable; it's just displayed as plain text.

Does it make sense to make NOTEs like this automatically become clickable?

Thanks,

-Ed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #2 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Make NOTEs that consist of just a URL clickable
To make this work you need to do two things:
  1. Enter:
    Code:
    https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenwichtime/...thorenz&pid=91319685
  2. Turn off Markdown for this tree. Under Tree->Preferences

-Or-

Read up on Markdown and use:
Code:
<https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenwichtime/...thorenz&pid=91319685>

Ken
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by norwegian_sardines.

More
3 years 9 months ago #3 by edsch
Thanks! Sorry, the forum "improved" my posting, obscuring what is actually going on.

Ancestry.com is fond of emitting NOTEs of the form:
Code:
3 NOTE http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenwichtime/obituary.aspx?n=anita-w-thorenz&pid=91319685

When displayed in the Notes tab in webtrees, the URL isn't clickable; it's just displayed as plain text.

So your step 1 is already done.
I don't want to do step 2 because I want to use Markdown elsewhere in the tree.

And your third suggestion is difficult because Ancestry generates the GEDCOM, not me.

Thanks,

-Ed.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 9 months ago #4 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Make NOTEs that consist of just a URL clickable
When you use markdown, NOTE entries must always follow markdown rules. This would be just like any other markdown (i.e. HTML, XML). You must encase links within the specified markdown for links to get the the desired outcome, otherwise anything not within the markdown is just displayed as text!

Ken

More
3 years 9 months ago #5 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Make NOTEs that consist of just a URL clickable
> I don't want to do step 2 because I want to use Markdown elsewhere in the tree.
> And your third suggestion is difficult because Ancestry generates the GEDCOM, not me.

If this is a one-time export from Ancestry into webtrees, then you can search/replace to convert these URLs into markdown format.

If you are doing your editing in Ancestry, and just using webtrees for display, then how does the GEDCOM contain markdown? Ancestry does not use markdown??

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
3 years 9 months ago #6 by edsch
It was brilliant of you to use markdown for notes, because it's "just text" to other systems.

I put a markdown note in Ancestry, which displays it as just text. Not great, but acceptable.
Then, when I do an export from Ancestry, it's faithfully put into the GEDCOM and displays beautifully in webtrees.

An example is in my other forum posting here:
www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/9-re...rees-to-familysearch

The NOTEs referred to here are auto-generated by Ancestry from sources and other elements which I don't control, hence the request for a feature.

Thanks,

-Ed.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #7 by norwegian_sardines
Round tripping is always a problem with any program. In general webtrees follows the GEDCOM v5.5.1 Standard, while most other programs have only a loose understanding of GEDCOM.

For round tripping as import to webtrees, the feature request might be:

“When ‘markdown’ is turned on during import, have all correctly defined links encased in the appropriate markdown punctuation”

Without deep thought this could fly in my book, but would need review by developers.

Ken
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by norwegian_sardines.