Please do NOT expect all Feature Requests to be actioned automatically. Describing your proposal here will ensure the development team are aware of it, and they will give it careful consideration.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Removal of Locations 2 weeks 3 days ago #21

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
webtrees only uses UTF8.

The database contains UTF8 data.
The CSV file contains UTF8 data.

If your CSV file contains a different encoding, then I guess you opened/saved it with another application (e.g. Microsoft Excel??)
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Removal of Locations 2 weeks 3 days ago #22

@hahalj
Thank You very much that you hijacked my threat. My request is lost in space...

My bad, I'm sorry. @fisharebest may clean out my posts in here if he wish.

Removal of Locations 2 weeks 3 days ago #23

webtrees only uses UTF8.

If your CSV file contains a different encoding, then I guess you opened/saved it with another application (e.g. Microsoft Excel??)

I most certainly did not edit the CSV-file in any way. Export -> Import, nothing else.
In any case it doesn't work with my file without the special UTF8-patch I did.
But this discussion should be moved to some other section, it's not a "request for new feature".

Removal of Locations 2 weeks 3 days ago #24

• jheiler
  • jheiler's Avatar Topic Author

I do not know what you are doing. Let me try again with pictures.

1) Here is my data. It includes unused places (with a red "delete" icon). It includes UTF8 characters.

2) I export it to a CSV file

3) I import the CSV file, and I select the option "delete all data first"

4) I now have all my location data - but the unused places are gone.

I did so, but nothing changes, same situation as before.

Removal of Locations 1 week 4 days ago #25

webtrees only uses UTF8.

I most certainly did not edit the CSV-file in any way. Export -> Import, nothing else.
In any case it doesn't work with my file without the special UTF8-patch I did.
But this discussion should be moved to some other section, it's not a "request for new feature".

I believe you may have experienced the same issue as I did here

www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/help...ferred-into-webtrees

I did file that as an issue, and I believe, that it has been taken care of in the next update.

Removal of Locations 1 week 4 days ago #26

I have such unused locations, too. Because of merging several trees together, there are hundreds of them. I'm missing a function to delete them all with one click instead of deleting them one by one.

I second the wish for a "Delete alle unlinked locations" button. I still mainly update my GEDCOM file offline and re-upload it. When I have changed the places hierarchy or just corrected a spelling error in a high-level location, I am stuck with tons of unused locations.

Actually, an ability to merge locations and have alternate names for same location, would be a huge improvement, but probably not an easy task to do.

Removal of Locations 1 week 3 days ago #27

I believe you may have experienced the same issue as I did here

www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/help...ferred-into-webtrees

I did file that as an issue, and I believe, that it has been taken care of in the next update.

Thanks, I've not noticed the dot vs comma issue but what you wrote in post #7 is exactly where it is for me right now. I have to make the import in two steps, 1st with "delete yes", 2nd "delete no", then everything is ok.
It's odd enough having to make the export/import procedure, then importing twice to get also the map locations right, well....

• Page: