Web based family history software

Question Handling of non-standard tag _PRIM

More
2 years 5 months ago #21 by Sir Peter
Replied by Sir Peter on topic Handling of non-standard tag _PRIM

Some data fixes could be applied automatically/silently during import. This is one of them.

Should webtrees

* automatically "fix" unambiguous cases like this
* leave data exactly as it is and let the user be responsible for applying fixes.

... My preference is for the first case. We already have a small number of silent auto-fixes. For example, converting tags such as URL to WWW, etc.

This is a double-edged sword. Although I am fond of "decisions, not options" I vote for webtrees to
  • focus on GEDCOM compliance and not try to handle every single non-standard tag out there
  • outsource non-standard tag handling and respective data fixes to application specific modules, e. g. a separate module to deal with PAF5 exports
  • check a GEDCOM file for inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags before import, offer to show them on screen and offer the administrator to take action, e. g. import as is (for "round-trippers"), select and apply available fixes (which ones) or even drop inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags
  • write an import log and log all applied fixes whether automatically applied during import or applied later with a data fix

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #22 by ddrury
Replied by ddrury on topic Handling of non-standard tag _PRIM

Sir_Peter wrote wrote:
This is a double-edged sword. Although I am fond of "decisions, not options" I vote for webtrees to

• focus on GEDCOM compliance and not try to handle every single non-standard tag out there
  • outsource non-standard tag handling and respective data fixes to application specific modules, e. g. a separate module to deal with PAF5 exports
  • check a GEDCOM file for inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags before import, offer to show them on screen and offer the administrator to take action, e. g. import as is (for "round-trippers"), select and apply available fixes (which ones) or even drop inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags
  • write an import log and log all applied fixes whether automatically applied during import or applied later with a data fix

Agreed

--
Dave

Local: Win 11 Pro, WSL2/Ubuntu20.04.4, Apache 2.4.51, PHP 7.4.26/8.1.7, MySQL 8.0.27
Production: Litespeed 8.0.1, PHP 8.1.9, MySQL 8.0.26

• WGroleau
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 5 months ago #23 by WGroleau
Replied by WGroleau on topic Handling of non-standard tag _PRIM

Some data fixes could be applied automatically/silently during import. This is one of them.

Should webtrees

* automatically "fix" unambiguous cases like this
* leave data exactly as it is and let the user be responsible for applying fixes.

... My preference is for the first case. We already have a small number of silent auto-fixes. For example, converting tags such as URL to WWW, etc.

I vote for all four as well. To the third one, I would add: Make all the checks, then list all the inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags in one table, with the options for each in checkboxes, so the admin can choose all the options at once and then click "do it." I don't know how many times with other programs I've gone through handling one issue, then another, then another, then another, … until I finally get fed up and cancel the whole thing without knowing how many issues still remain.

--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/