Please do NOT expect all Feature Requests to be actioned automatically. Describing your proposal here will ensure the development team are aware of it, and they will give it careful consideration.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Handling of non-standard tag _PRIM 5 days 3 hours ago #21

• Sir Peter

Some data fixes could be applied automatically/silently during import. This is one of them.

Should webtrees

* automatically "fix" unambiguous cases like this
* leave data exactly as it is and let the user be responsible for applying fixes.

... My preference is for the first case. We already have a small number of silent auto-fixes. For example, converting tags such as URL to WWW, etc.

This is a double-edged sword. Although I am fond of "decisions, not options" I vote for webtrees to
  • focus on GEDCOM compliance and not try to handle every single non-standard tag out there
  • outsource non-standard tag handling and respective data fixes to application specific modules, e. g. a separate module to deal with PAF5 exports
  • check a GEDCOM file for inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags before import, offer to show them on screen and offer the administrator to take action, e. g. import as is (for "round-trippers"), select and apply available fixes (which ones) or even drop inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags
  • write an import log and log all applied fixes whether automatically applied during import or applied later with a data fix
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handling of non-standard tag _PRIM 5 days 41 minutes ago #22

• ddrury

This is a double-edged sword. Although I am fond of "decisions, not options" I vote for webtrees to
  • focus on GEDCOM compliance and not try to handle every single non-standard tag out there
  • outsource non-standard tag handling and respective data fixes to application specific modules, e. g. a separate module to deal with PAF5 exports
  • check a GEDCOM file for inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags before import, offer to show them on screen and offer the administrator to take action, e. g. import as is (for "round-trippers"), select and apply available fixes (which ones) or even drop inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags
  • write an import log and log all applied fixes whether automatically applied during import or applied later with a data fix

Agreed
--
Dave

Local: Win 10 Pro/WSL Apache 2.4.41, PHP 7.4.16/8.0.3, MariaDB 10.4.10
Production: Apache 2.2, PHP 7.3.27, 10.3.18-MariaDB

Handling of non-standard tag _PRIM 4 days 23 hours ago #23

• WGroleau
  • WGroleau's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Some data fixes could be applied automatically/silently during import. This is one of them.

Should webtrees

* automatically "fix" unambiguous cases like this
* leave data exactly as it is and let the user be responsible for applying fixes.

... My preference is for the first case. We already have a small number of silent auto-fixes. For example, converting tags such as URL to WWW, etc.

I vote for all four as well. To the third one, I would add: Make all the checks, then list all the inconsistencies, errors and non-standard tags in one table, with the options for each in checkboxes, so the admin can choose all the options at once and then click "do it." I don't know how many times with other programs I've gone through handling one issue, then another, then another, then another, … until I finally get fed up and cancel the whole thing without knowing how many issues still remain.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

• Page: