Please do NOT expect all Feature Requests to be actioned automatically. Describing your proposal here will ensure the development team are aware of it, and they will give it careful consideration.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Default values when adding a name tag 1 day 18 hours ago #1

• sevtor
  • sevtor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
When adding a new name tag to an existing person all the fields are empty. It would be simpler to use this form if the given names are copied to this form. Of course the given names can be changed but usually(?) only the surname is affected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Default values when adding a name tag 1 day 15 hours ago #2

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I would not like to see this change.

I add a lot of individuals such as AKA, nick names and alternate spellings where the primary reason for adding the name is that the “given name” is different.
Ken

Default values when adding a name tag 1 day 4 hours ago #3

• Franz Frese

I would not like to see this change.

I add a lot of individuals such as AKA, nick names and alternate spellings where the primary reason for adding the name is that the “given name” is different.
As far as I know is "nickname" a subtag of every name tag. So, why do you create a new name tag to enter a nickname?

p.s: I do not like the excessive usage of the name tag. For genealogie aspects a birth name should be enough.

Last edit: by Franz Frese.

Default values when adding a name tag 1 day 35 minutes ago #4

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

As far as I know is "nickname" a subtag of every name tag. So, why do you create a new name tag to enter a nickname?

Because I dislike the use of nickname as a subtag to NAME for several reasons.

1) It is very poor database design to have a “name” within a name for indexing purposes. Some applications also have added “married name” as a subtag to NAME, which is again bad design. All names and personal identities should be added as a new NAME tag. webtrees can handle name within a name, but I prefer to do it correctly in my database.

2) Because I’m not an expert (and I suspect no other person reading this is either) on identifying a nick name in foreign and historical contexts, I’d prefer to take the mystery out of deciding (and for consistency) to always add any new reference to a different identity as a new NAME.

3) The NICK subtag as well as the _MARNM subtag, come from a time in GEDCOM history where the designers were having trouble implementing a multi-name database design. The software they were using to implement their model only had one place for a name and could not support multiple names, even if the GEDCOM specification allowed it. I’ve seen a few older applications were they could only import from GEDCOM one NAME. This is very poor design.
Ken

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.

Default values when adding a name tag 1 day 18 minutes ago #5

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

p.s: I do not like the excessive usage of the name tag. For genealogie aspects a birth name should be enough.

As a genealogist and historical researcher, all name and identities need to be recorded. Just because I can find a birth name in my research, knowing other names and spellings for an individual helps me (and other researchers and readers) to connect a person throughout time. If the only thing in your database is their birth name you may not be able to follow all of that individual’s events throughout time.

Individuals can be know by several names in their history, if they are not recorded and used in your (or other researchers) queries in historical manuscripts that individual’s history may stop with a name change, or a misunderstanding of the name they were recorded with at birth. The birth name is never enough when you are researching.
Ken

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.

Default values when adding a name tag 19 hours 20 minutes ago #6

• Franz Frese
Soweit die Theorie, aber in der Praxis habe ich bisher nie einen weiteren Namenseintrag verwenden müssen, um ein Dokument korrekt zuordnen zu können. Dazu werden weitere Informationen aus dem Kontext benötigt.
Wenn jemand anderes in meiner Datenbank sucht, dann muss er sowieso damit rechnen, dass ein Name nicht so geschrieben wurde, wie er ihn zur Suche eingibt.

That's the theory, but in practice I've never had to use an additional name entry to be able to correctly assign a document. This requires additional information from the context.
If someone else searches in my database, then they have to reckon with the fact that a name was not spelled the way they enter it for the search.

Default values when adding a name tag 18 hours 16 minutes ago #7

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Since I do a lot of genealogy work for other people, they need to have as many names and information that I can give them.
Ken

• Page: