Please do NOT expect all Feature Requests to be actioned automatically. Describing your proposal here will ensure the development team are aware of it, and they will give it careful consideration.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Auto E-mail of Events 10 years 11 months ago #1

• 2326766's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

I'm not sure if webtrees can already do this.

Can webtrees send emails automatically to everyone that is a user with an email address or a specified email distribution
whenever an event is triggered?

This auto email feature would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Auto E-mail of Events 10 years 11 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
What sort of "event"?

Currently, webtrees sends an email to admins every 24 hours, if there are pending changes waiting to be accepted.

Sending more emails than this could be considered spamming. You do need to be careful about any automatic sending of emails - they really do need to be "opt-in".
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re: Auto E-mail of Events 10 years 11 months ago #3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Right, I agree an opt-in option would be more appropriate.

The emails to registered users would make sense if they opt-in, of events such as b-days, anniversaries, etc.
but ones to admins, such as changes need to be approved can stay with the admin only.

As it is now, I manually email out the events to the registered users.
Opt-in is great.

Re: Auto E-mail of Events 10 years 11 months ago #4

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
OMG, please let's not add such a feature to webtrees unless it is developed as an Add-On module. My 400+ users would scream if they got emails every day from my site. With 85,000 indi's there is hardly a day that goes by that doesn't have a birthday or anniversary. And since we don't notate in the files that divorced couples don't celebrate anniversaries, the some 45 of the 400 on my list that are divorced would get a reminder of their worst nightmares.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Re: Auto E-mail of Events 10 years 11 months ago #5

• kiwi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Mike, if you read through these forum pages you will see that we try hard to have a policy of NOT developing into areas that others are already experts in. I'm sure there are many products that do a far better job of this sort of social-networking than we could ever manage. Find one of those, then look for a way to have it access webtrees user table.
At that point it could be made into an add-on module.

I know you already use, or want to use, Joomla. That would be a FAR more appropriate place to look for such a feature.

I do understand the benefits of what you want to do. I find that a much better alternative is to use the "Upcoming Events" block on your "My Page". Set its configuration to show only events of living people; show sufficient days to give you time to post the email; show only births, deaths and marriages, and sort by anniversary. Then simply use the results to prompt you (as a diligent administrator) to contact your users. The results can then be far more personal than just an automated email from a "system". Nothing worse than getting EXACTLY the same message every birthday - not really showing that you care, is it.
If you don't need time before you email you can use the very similar "Today's Events" block instead.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Re: Auto E-mail of Events 10 years 11 months ago #6

• WGroleau
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

unless it is developed as an Add-On module

or maybe this one could be an “are you sure you want to add-on” module.

I know I don't need any reminders of the days I had to say good-bye to this one or that one.

worse than getting EXACTLY the same message every birthday

I created an evaluation account at genoom.com and now I get a birthday reminder every day—with wonderful news like "Christopher Gist will turn 337 year on October 12, 2010"
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Re: Auto E-mail of Events 10 years 11 months ago #7

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys,

Thanks for giving it some thought. I always say "If I thought of it, then someone else already did."

Maybe the module can be expanded thru collaboration of the experienced programmers and
input from the user community.

A quick thought would be to have the following options:
- The users choice to enable it via their user profile

- Options to what level of events to receive (birthdays, wedding anniv.,)

- Living relatives only

- Level deep of relatives (immed. family or only fathers side)

So, as you can see, the possibilities are there to make such a module where it is user friendly and not an annoyance.

I think it is appropriate to keep it at the webtrees level of expertise and/or more experienced programmers that will
create modules, not necessarily part of a CMS.

• Page: