Web based family history software

Question Import stalls and locks family tree

• reggie3
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #1 by reggie3
Import stalls and locks family tree was created by reggie3
I have attempted to load GEDCOM files into two different family trees. Both stalled before completion and neither tree can be accessed to attempt re-import, to delete the tree or anything else.

The first tree stalled at 90.5%, the second (smaller) at 76.6%.

After imports stalled, it was possible to create a third tree and merge from the previous into that.

Any suggestions as to how to delete the non-functioning trees or break the lock would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Import stalls and locks family tree
If you can access your database, delete all the rows from the table wt_gedcom_chunk.

This contains the data being imported. When you delete this data, the import will finish immediately - but obviously missing the final part of the GEDCOM file.

You will then be able to delete it.

When the import stalls like this, it generally indicates that GEDCOM file contains some corrupt data that webtrees cannot understand. If you are interested in finding the problem, look at the wt_gedcom_chunk table, sort by ID, and find the first row with "imported = 0". The problem will be in that block of data.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• reggie3
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #3 by reggie3
Replied by reggie3 on topic Import stalls and locks family tree
Thanks, I'll check out the wt_gedcom_chunk table.

Just FWIW, the GEDCOM files I was trying to import were generated by a 20 year old Family Tree Maker application that had languished on an old laptop in a dusty closet. Was kind of surprised I could even get into it again, but was happy to find I could do it at all. Had something like 5500 kin charted back then; glad to resurrect them again!

If I discover anything worth reporting I'll check back in and let you know.

Many thanks again!

Moderators: makitso