Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to webtrees 1.7. For issues related to webtrees 2.0, please use that forum.
Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question Unzip error when upgrading from 1.7.15 to 1.7.16

• frisket
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #1 by frisket
I imported a new GEDCOM file this morning, all working fine (my webtrees is hosted on my own server)
Then I clicked the upgrade link and got the following:

Code:
Upgrade wizard It can take several minutes to download and install the upgrade. Be patient. Check for pending changes… There are no pending changes. Check for custom modules… No custom modules are enabled. Check for custom themes… No custom themes are enabled. Export all the family trees to GEDCOM files… The family tree has been exported to /<path-to-my-server-directory>/data/flynn-2020-02-28.ged. Download https://github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/releases/download/1.7.16/webtrees-1.7.16.zip… 3 KB were downloaded in 0.37 seconds. Unzip webtrees-1.7.16.zip to a temporary folder… An error occurred when unzipping the file. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

Is this likely to be a transient, or has the 1.7.16 zip files been corrupted?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Unzip error when upgrading from 1.7.15 to 1.7.16
> 3 KB were downloaded in 0.37 seconds.

The file is approx 30MB.

If you only downloaded 3KB, then the download failed.

Try again.

If you consistently fail to download the file, then perhaps there is some server configuration that is preventing you from fetching external files?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #3 by kanthanpillay
Replied by kanthanpillay on topic Unzip error when upgrading from 1.7.15 to 1.7.16
The link does not expand correctly. Note the following when I try to manually download the zip file:

ficca:Downloads kanthan$ curl -O github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/releases.../webtrees-1.7.16.zip
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 609 100 609 0 0 624 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 623
ficca:Downloads kanthan$ more webtrees-1.7.16.zip
<html><body>You are being <a href=" github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s...ation%2Foctet-stream ">redirected.
ficca:Downloads kanthan$

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Unzip error when upgrading from 1.7.15 to 1.7.16
By default, curl does not follow redirects.

You need to use "curl -L -O".

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• frisket
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #5 by frisket
I checked that but there's gigs of space left.
I'd be surprised if my hosting had changed the fetching rules (I've upgraded web applications dozens of times) but I've asked them.

Thanks for the help.

• frisket
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #6 by frisket
That's something that needs to be fixed in the webtrees maintenance scripts. I'm doing this via the web interface.

I can always log in and do it manually, though.

Thanks for the pointer.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #7 by Bluenoser
Replied by Bluenoser on topic Unzip error when upgrading from 1.7.15 to 1.7.16
I have the exact same problem.

I successfully downloaded webtrees-1.7.16.zip from GitHub and uploaded it to data folder in the server using cpanel, replacing the one that webtrees unsuccessfully tried to download.

So how do I do the upgrade by hand from there?
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Bluenoser.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 week ago #8 by fisharebest
> So how do I do the upgrade by hand from there?

webtrees.github.io/upgrade/manual/

More
3 years 9 months ago #9 by sleebooth
Replied by sleebooth on topic Unzip error when upgrading from 1.7.15 to 1.7.16
webtrees.github.io/upgrade/manual/webtrees.github.io/upgrade/manual/ instructs users to use ftp to upload all the webtrees files one by one to the server

I believe Bluenoser wanted to upload the zip file to the server and unpack it there. Surely that would be quicker and more efficient?

Would it be possible to have a zip file that had one less folder tier i.e. such that unpacking it onto the server's webtrees folder, whatever that was named, would do the same job?

(I ask because I'm getting:
Code:
"cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 55000 milliseconds with 11190786 out of 30263235 bytes received (see https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html)"

when I try to upgrade to webtrees 2.04, so it looks like I'm going to have to do a manual upgrade again)

John's SLEE/BOOTH Family Tree
sleebooth.co.uk
webtrees v2.0.19
PHP Version 7.4.28

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 9 months ago #10 by fisharebest
> Operation timed out after 55000 milliseconds with 11190786 out of 30263235 bytes received

This step is fetching approximately 30MB to your server.

If you can only retrieve 11MB in 55 seconds, then your server has a very slow connection to the rest of the internet...

> I believe Bluenoser wanted to upload the zip file to the server and unpack it there. Surely that would be quicker and more efficient?

Server-to-server connections are generally very fast.
User-to-server connections can be very slow.

For example, my server will fetch this file in about 2 seconds.
If I wanted to upload it there myself, it would take me several minutes.

> Would it be possible to have a zip file that had one less folder tier i.e. such that unpacking it onto the server's webtrees folder, whatever that was named, would do the same job?

One reason for unzipping to a temporary folder and then moving the files to their new location is that it guarantees we have enough disk space.

If we unzipped directly into the final location, we could run out of disk space half way through and be left with a mix of old/new files.

More
3 years 9 months ago #11 by MaSteRu
I have exact the same error:

Lade github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/releases...webtrees-1.7.17.zip…
3 kB wurden in 0,28 Sekunden heruntergeladen.
Entpacke webtrees-1.7.17.zip in ein temporäres Verzeichnis…
Beim Entpacken der Datei ist ein Fehler aufgetreten.
PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

there is a new empty folder in the data directory: webtrees-1.7.17

More
3 years 9 months ago #12 by MaSteRu
Now I updated manually with FTP.

Moderators: makitso