Web based family history software

Question [SOLVED] Adding a death date

• mobrid
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 days ago #1 by mobrid
Adding a death date was created by mobrid
I just installed version 1.7.16 and have imported data via a GEDCOM file. Since the time the GEDCOM was created 2 members of my family have died. I was able to add the death record for one because she only had 4 existing Facts/Events and the add fact/event line was displayed. I have been unable to post my father's death record because the add fact/event line was not displayed. My father was one of 10 children and all but one of his siblings have died, as have his parents. My father's marriage record is displayed as a fact as are the birth records of me and my 2 brothers. How am I supposed to add my father's death record since the Facts/Events list does not scroll?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 days ago #2 by drblam
Replied by drblam on topic Adding a death date

> How am I supposed to add my father's death record since the Facts/Events list does not scroll?

That's the REAL question. I've been running 1.7.x for years and have never seen that problem. I assume you have selected the "Facts and Events" tab, in which case there should be a check box right below the tab (above the Birth event) that says "Events of close relatives". If you uncheck it, then all the events for parents, siblings, children, etc., should disappear so hopefully you will see the add fact/event line.

• mobrid
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 days ago #3 by mobrid
Replied by mobrid on topic Adding a death date
You have assumed correct tly, but the Events of Close Relatives box is unchecked by default and it still shows all relatives events.

More
4 years 6 days ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Adding a death date
At the bottom of each individual's "facts and events" tab, is a section to add more facts/events.

Here's an example.

1) Is it missing on *every* page, or just your father's page?

2) Do the existing facts have edit links (like the one in the screenshot)?

3) Does the page have a footer at the bottom?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Attachments:

• mobrid
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 days ago #5 by mobrid
1) it is missing on all pages where the list of events would fill more than 1 screen..

2) yes, but all of the facts everything except his birth and marriage are a lighter shade.

3) yes, it has the WEBTREES footer

How can I embed the screenshot for you to see?

More
4 years 6 days ago #6 by fisharebest
> it is missing on all pages where the list of events would fill more than 1 screen..

So you see it on some pages? But it depends on the length of the page?

What browser are you using? If you are using internet explorer, try something else, like FireFox or Chrome.

> yes, but all of the facts everything except his birth and marriage are a lighter shade.

The lighter shade indicates events that belong to close relatives (e.g. brith of child, death of parent, etc.)
These should disappear if you de-select the "events of close relatives" option.

> 3) yes, it has the WEBTREES footer

OK. I was wondering if there was a fatal error that was occuring before the "add facts" section was created.
If you see the footer, we can assume the code continued without error to completion.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• mobrid
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 days ago #7 by mobrid
The browser I'm using is Chrome for Android..

It makes no difference if the box is checked or not, all of the records for all close relatives are always displayed.. I have NEVER checked that box.

More
4 years 6 days ago #8 by fisharebest
> So you see it on some pages? But it depends on the length of the page?

Can you expand/clarify on this?

There is something different/unusual happening on your site.
If we could see it, then it would probably be obvious...

More
4 years 6 days ago #9 by drblam

mobrid wrote: The browser I'm using is Chrome for Android..

So that means you're using a mobile device, not a desktop, right? I seem to remember that part of the motivation for 2.0.x was to improve support for smart phones....

Can you try accessing your website from a desktop computer?

What about accessing the demo site at the top of this discussion forum using your Android device?

• mobrid
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 days ago #10 by mobrid
Ok, here's what I see on people who have big families on their facts/events tab.

Attachments:

• mobrid
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 days ago #11 by mobrid
I get the same results when I try accessing from a Windows 10 Dell Desktop, no option to add a fact/event.

More
4 years 5 days ago #12 by fisharebest
Apart from the missing "add facts" section, the "Event of close relatives" checkbox isn't working on your screenshot.

(The box is unchecked, but the events are shown).

This checkbox works for me when I visit your site.
i.e. it selects/deselects the events - and the setting is also remembered when you reload the page or visit a new individual.

I'm a visitor (and you are logged in), so does it work for you when you are logged out?

• mobrid
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 4 days ago #13 by mobrid
Ok, now you've raised my Security Administrator hackles. Just exactly how did you view the data in my database from a visitor login that I didn't set up?

What user/password did you use to access my site?

It should make no difference whether I login as an administrator of the site or not, the checkbox should work the same, and according to you it doesn't!

Like I've said at least twice, the checkbox only appears on people who don't have a full screen of "facts and events", and no matter whether I check the box or not all of the family facts and events for my father's immediate family is displayed.

More
4 years 4 days ago #14 by fisharebest
> Just exactly how did you view the data in my database from a visitor login that I didn't set up?

I just browsed to your site. You included the URL in your screendump. bridgestree.org

I then clicked on the link for "default individual" on the home page.

> It should make no difference whether I login as an administrator of the site or not, the checkbox should work the same

We are both viewing your site as a guest (i.e. not logged in).

There's a simple javascript-enabled feature that works for me, but not for you.

It works for me using a variety of browsers (firefox, chrome) on a variety of platforms (mobile, desktop), and a variety of operating systems (android, linux, mac).

Yet it doesn't work for you with any of your devices/browsers? This is puzzling.

The code behind this checkbox is really simple. It is just a couple of lines.

So what is it that prevents it working for you? Do you have some sort of network firewall/ad-blocker/content-blocker?

More
4 years 4 days ago #15 by fisharebest
Maybe some of the other forum users could help here.

1) visit bridgestree.org/individual.php?pid=I1&ged=Bridges
2) Does the "events of close relatives" checkbox work for you?

More
4 years 4 days ago #16 by drblam

2) Does the "events of close relatives" checkbox work for you?

The checkbox does work for me. However:

• There is nothing below the "Death" event in either case (with/without close relative events). So, "Add from clipboard" and new "Fact or event" are missing in both cases.
  • There IS a scroll bar on the page which works correctly because the number of people in the family navigator is quite long
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    4 years 4 days ago #17 by jprause
    Replied by jprause on topic Adding a death date
    If it helps:
    1) visited bridgestree.org/individual.php?pid=I1&ged=Bridges
    2) "events of close relatives" works OK for me in firefox, opera, chromium (all in linux), edge (win 10).

Josef

webhosting:-- webtrees 2.1.18, PHP version 8.1.16, MySQL 8.0.22, test site webtrees 2.1.18
    local desktop:-- webtrees 2.1.18, PHP version 8.2.12, MySQL 8.0.28, Apache2 2.4.41, Linux Ubuntu 22.04 64bit

• mobrid
    • Topic Author
    More
    4 years 4 days ago #18 by mobrid
    The checkbox only works when I am NOT logged in as administrator, ie. a visitor who can only view the default individual.

When I am logged in as an administrator the default view is to display all Events of Close Relatives whether the box is checked or not. This is the same whether I am logged in via Chrome on my Android tablet or Chrome on a Windows 10 desktop PC. If the person has a full screen of facts then the drop down menu to be able to add a new fact does not appear.

More
    4 years 4 days ago #19 by Shemwell
    Replied by Shemwell on topic Adding a death date
    Works fine for me in Firefox, Edge, Explorer.. Windows 10 desktop.

Barry

More
    4 years 4 days ago #20 by fisharebest

mobrid wrote: The checkbox only works when I am NOT logged in as administrator, ie. a visitor who can only view the default individual.

When I am logged in as an administrator the default view is to display all Events of Close Relatives whether the box is checked or not. This is the same whether I am logged in via Chrome on my Android tablet or Chrome on a Windows 10 desktop PC. If the person has a full screen of facts then the drop down menu to be able to add a new fact does not appear.

Not being able to see or reproduce the problem is making this hard.

On the desktop version of a browser, are you able to find the browser's error console?
    If so, are there any messages there?

On the problematic page, can you view the page source (CTRL-U in most browsers) and then copy/paste the contents in an email to me at greg@subaqua.co.uk

Moderators: makitso