Web based family history software

Question [SOLVED] upgrade problem ...

• moyra777
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #1 by moyra777
upgrade problem ... was created by moyra777
Hello, sorry if I placed that in the wrong topic, new on this forum.
I am using webtrees from many years, however never dealt with "installation/upgrade" issues, as I had help from my IT-angel. Unfortunately, he had serious health issues so I don't dare even to bother him anymore...
anyway long story short... I was afraid to upgrade for few years but finally, when I decided to take my chances, after updating php on my host provider (since I thought this is what I had to do as first) and then trying to upgrade my webtrees to suggested version, my website "died" and now I have this message when I type the address for my website.

tree.mizgalska.com/site-unavailable.php?...%27moyra7777_tree%27

I tried to follow instruction from that msg.... and I went to the config file and tried to double-check if info from host database from mysql database matches and it does but still doesn't work.
I would just ignore it as I installed on other "site" latest version of webtrees, but I wanted to see if I can bring to live the other one, or pull out somehow and transfer "users" to a new database.

Could anyone help or guide me? thank you
Agnieszka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 2 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic upgrade problem ...
webtrees needs to connect to your database.
The connection settings (username, password, etc.) are stored in the file data/config.ini.php

The error message says:
Access denied for user 'moyra7777db@'localhost' to database 'moyra7777_tree'

This means that the connection settings are no longer correct.
Perhaps there has been an update to your server?

Sometimes it can help to change the line

dbname="localhost"

to

dbname="127.0.0.1"

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• moyra777
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #3 by moyra777
Replied by moyra777 on topic upgrade problem ...
Thank you for your reply :) I can certainly check that, just a question for clarification, the dbname you typed it is just an example right? if yes, where I can find localhost address on my server? I only see IP address.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 2 months ago #4 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic upgrade problem ...

Ken

• moyra777
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #5 by moyra777
Thanks Ken :) we keep learning all our life ;)

so I did change in config to this
dbhost="127.0.0.1"
dbport="3306"
dbuser="xxxx"
dbpass="xxxx"
dbname="moyra7777_tree"
tblpfx="wt_"

and still doesn't work :(

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 2 months ago #6 by fisharebest
> The error message says:
> Access denied for user 'moyra7777db@'localhost' to database 'moyra7777_tree'

Does your webhost provide a control-panel where you can configure your databases?

If so, then verify that these settings are correct.

If not, then I think you might need to contact your webhost (or their documentation?) to find out the correct database connection settings.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• moyra777
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #7 by moyra777
yes, go daddy has a control panel and that is where I tried to make changes in config file, even tried to adjust according to text from the new working database and still doesn't work. I talked to go daddy twice and they said to contact software provider :( so not sure what to do more...

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 2 months ago #8 by fisharebest
Are you able to connect to your database using some other application. For example phpMyAdmin?

Does the username/password give you access to the database there?

• moyra777
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #9 by moyra777
I do not have phpadmin on my mac, but it is part of cpanel on godaddy, so yes I am able to access databases there using phpadmin web panel.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 2 months ago #10 by fisharebest
The error message says:
> Access denied for user 'moyra7777db@'localhost' to database 'moyra7777_tree'

You should know that:

1) your account is not just your username. It is "your username at your computer".
So, MySQL may allow you to access from some computers, but not others.

So, when you use phpMyAdmin, you are using it from the cPanel server, not your webserver.

2) the database server contains many databases. You account can have different permissions at each database.

Without knowing how your servers and databases are configured, it is difficult to know what to suggest.

Going back to your original message, you said

> I would just ignore it as I installed on other "site" latest version of webtrees,
> but I wanted to see if I can bring to live the other one, or pull out somehow and transfer "users" to a new database.

So you have TWO databases?
One connected to a working installation of webtrees (with no important data)
One connected to a broken installation of webtrees (with all your data and user accounts).

If you can access both databases using phpMyAdmin, then we should be able to copy everything from one to the other.

• moyra777
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #11 by moyra777
Replied by moyra777 on topic [SOLVED] upgrade problem ...
Hi Greg, thanks for all explanations :)

I totally get that it is hard to figure out what can be wrong if you don't see it :) I am the same, I need drawings to get it lol

To answer your questions:

>>Going back to your original message, So you have TWO databases?

YES (well more but 2 for the same tree)

>>One connected to a working installation of webtrees (with no important data)

well I imported GED so far only, and this one version 2 is placed on new address gen.mizgalska.com

>>One connected to a broken installation of webtrees (with all your data and user accounts)

YES tree.mizgalska.com[

>>If you can access both databases using phpMyAdmin, then we should be able to copy everything from one to the other.

Yes I can access both the new one under "gen" and old one under "tree", but I am not sure I understand - what do you mean by copy everything? the whole folder where the database is located with all its folders? or specific folder only? if I copy all wouldn't that replace files with ged and users?

On that note, somehow the last nite (must be me playing around with copy-paste between config docs from working and not working database) tree.mizgalska.com is up again :) and I hope it doesn't disappear again! but now we are going back to upgrade issue from 1.7.9 to 1.7.17 (not even going into version 2) where all problems started. I did read this here webtrees.net/upgrade/manual/ I do understand:

- Download webtrees-2.0.10.zip or webtrees-1.7.17.zip as appropriate.
- Unpack this file on your computer. You should have a folder called webtrees.
- Create a file data/offline.txt on the server. If it contains a message, it will be shown to your users. If it is empty, a default message will be shown. The file must have this exact name and location - even if you have chosen a different data folder in the control panel.
-Delete the file data/offline.txt.

but I don't get this:
Upload the contents of the webtrees folder to the corresponding folder on your web server.

so if I have .../tree/www/ (see pic) and then all folders of previous webtrees, I just upload content of webtrees folder from my computer to www folder? or I upload webtrees folder to www? and then what? just leave like this? or I copy old data folder content to new data folder?

Sorry, that may sound really trivial or facepalmed worthy, but hey... I am trying to learn here :) without destroying my database again.

Thanks for patience and help :)

Agnieszka
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by moyra777.

Moderators: makitso