Web based family history software

Question Can you tie an individual to a grandparent?

• hornakapopolis
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #1 by hornakapopolis
Can you tie an individual to a grandparent? was created by hornakapopolis
Via DNA match, we've managed to find a family member who was secretly put up for adoption 40+ years ago.

If we're not sure of the parent, but are sure of the grandparent, is there a way to connect grandchild and grandparent? With my limited experience, it doesn't seem like there is.

This is my first real experience working on genealogy. In cases like this, are 'phantom' entries set-up for the parents to be tied to the grandparents? (<-I guess this is more of a direct genealogy question as opposed to webtrees, but you all are about the only 'community' I have right now for this stuff. It was the DNA stuff that doubled my interest.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #2 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Can you tie an individual to a grandparent?
I would indeed put a placeholder between the found person and known grandparents, so the link is certainly there but exact details are unknown.
This is also needed if you want to grant this person access to your tree with privacy limited to n steps.

You could remove the sex tag of the unknown father, so in diagrams his boxes are white instead of blue, to make it stand out it's an uncertain entity.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by bertkoor.

• hornakapopolis
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #3 by hornakapopolis
Replied by hornakapopolis on topic Can you tie an individual to a grandparent?

bertkoor wrote: You could remove the sex tag of the unknown father, so in diagrams his boxes are white instead of blue, to make it stand out it's an uncertain entity.

Thank you for the info and suggestion! Being so inexperienced at this, I wouldn't have thought of doing something like that

(And being a bit of a dolt, when I am experienced, I might not have thought of it, either!)

In terms of the placeholder, I was thinking of just creating an unlinked individual, not putting any information in, and then saving it. (I'm assuming webtrees will let me do that.) Is that the way to go about it or when you say "placeholder," is that referring to an actual process or entry?

More
3 years 1 month ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Can you tie an individual to a grandparent?
> I was thinking of just creating an unlinked individual

No.

You want a individual (the unknown parent) who is linked to both the grandparent and the child.

Go to your grandparent.

On their family tab, add a child - leave the name empty and set the sex to unknown.

Go to this unknown individual.

On it's family tab, "add a child to create a one parent family", and add your DNA-matched individual.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Moderators: makitso