This Help forum is for issues relates to webtrees 1.7. For issues related to webtrees 2.0, please use that forum.
Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here."
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Formatting/ display question... 1 week 6 days ago #1

• tthdoc
  • tthdoc's Avatar Topic Author
As I have been editing and updating my site (1.7.14) , I've noticed when I open some individual records there is an issue. Say their name is John Michael Smith. On the individual page, it would display:

Name John Michael Smith

It should display:

Name John Michael Smith
Given Names John Michael
Surname Smith

If I edit raw GECOM it shows:

1 NAME John Michael /Smith/

It was missing the 2 GIVN and 2 SURN fields.

If I click edit to open the edit box, do nothing (meaning do not edit anything), and then just re-save it, the raw GEDCOM now shows:

1 NAME John Michael /Smith/
2 GIVN John Michael
2 SURN Smith

and it displays correctly on the individual page.

When it first happened, I thought is was a fluke and just did this to fix it. But it is becoming common enough (but not consistent on every individual) that I was looking for a better solution.

So here is the question. If I just export the entire GEDCOM from the site, and then reimport it again, will this accomplish the same thing that happens when I edit and re-save the individual records? In other words, will it bulk fix any entries that just have the name and are missing the GIVN and SURN fields?

Thanks,
Doc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tthdoc.

Formatting/ display question... 1 week 6 days ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> If I click edit to open the edit box, do nothing (meaning do not edit anything), and then just re-save it, the raw GEDCOM now shows:

1.7 may have done this. 2.0 doesn't - and shouldn't. We don't know if "John" is a prefix,a title, a given name, whatever.

> If I just export the entire GEDCOM from the site, and then reimport it again, will this accomplish the same thing

No. It would have been built into the edit page.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: