Web based family history software

Question no registration/login working with google chrome

• heikea
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #1 by heikea
Dear all, it is not possible to get registered or logged-in using googel chrome as a browser. Neither i.e. changing the language, contacting me.
Firefox and Safari are working fine.

I'm using webtees 1.7.20 and google chrome 110.0.5481.104 (64 bit).
Any solution/ideas for this?
Regards
Heike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic no registration/login working with google chrome
Maybe you blocked chrome in the site-access-rules (in the control panel).

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
1 year 1 month ago #3 by hermann
... for me, your site works without problems when using Google Chrome.

Hermann
Designer of the custom module "Extended Family"

webtrees 2.1.19 (all custom modules installed, PHP 8.2, MariaDB 10.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu

• heikea
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #4 by heikea
Thanks for your replies.
It is working with google chrome on my mobile, just not on my notebook (and apparently on other's also, as I received the message, a relative was not able to register). Google chrome on my notebook is the current one, no update available.
So I assume it isn't because of some site-access-rules? I'm not able to load the website > website access rules in the control panel though, "Gateway Timeout - The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.".

More
1 year 1 month ago #5 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic no registration/login working with google chrome
> It is working with google chrome on my mobile, just not on my notebook (and apparently on other's also, as I received the message, a relative was not able to register). Google chrome on my notebook is the current one, no update available.

Maybe they have different user-agent strings?

> I'm not able to load the website > website access rules in the control panel though, "Gateway Timeout - The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.".

When this code was designed, it was assumed that site admins would maintain the site-access-rules regularly.

If you don't, then the table keeps growing until it is too large to be displayed. As you have discovered.

It was removed in webtrees 2, which uses a different technique to restrict access to search engines.

Is there a reason you cannot upgrade? webtrees 1.7 is very old, and no longer supported.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
1 year 1 month ago #6 by bertkoor
Control Panel - Website - Website Access Rules.

You need to find the row that blocks you and change that.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

• heikea
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #7 by heikea
Hi Greg,
I'm rather a so-called "end-user", so I googled "user agent string" but am not able to deduct how this could help me solving this.
Regarding upgrading to webtrees 2: for this I need to do a kind of deep-dive into this newer version, as I probably have to install completely new and before this I'll have to check if my provider/my webspace has everything needed for this (my provider seems to be always somewhat behind i.e. regarding php-versions.

Hi Bert,
I guess the row is in a database-table? I'll try checking this.

Thanks for looking into this. Until I have been able to upgrade, I'l put an information on my site, that google chrome might not be working well and to use firefox/safari instead.

More
1 year 1 month ago #8 by hermann
Hallo Heike, vielleicht hilft Dir beim Upgrade das entsprechende Kapitel im deutschsprachigen webtrees-Handbuch .

Und ja: die erste Entscheidung ist: Upgrade auf 2.0 und dann 2.1 oder gleich Neuinstallation von webtrees 2.1.16.

Hermann

webtrees 2.1.19 (all custom modules installed, PHP 8.2, MariaDB 10.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #9 by bertkoor

I'm rather a so-called "end-user", so I googled "user agent string" but am not able to deduct how this could help me solving this.

webtrees 1.x tries to identify bots and web crawlers by their user agent string. The strategy is "whitelisting": if the agent string is not known, it is assumed to be a bot. Bots may not log in, look at diagrams and reports etc. Edge is a relatively new browser, so webtrees classified it as a bot. Since v2.x of webtrees the strategy to identify bots has completely changed. No whitelist anymore.

I guess the row is in a database-table?

Yes and no. This is stored in the database (table wt_site_access_rules) but you have easy control over the whitelist via menu My Pages - Control Panel - Website - Website Access Rules.
If you have never looked at that for some years, it might have grown to several thousands rows and the page won't display. Then there is no other way than to go via the database and execute this:
Code:
delete from wt_site_access_rules where rule = 'unknown';

That will clean up all records, but now you can visit the Website Access Rules again.
Visit once with Edge, then you can update the rule: set ip-address from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 and rule = Allow.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by bertkoor.

• heikea
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #10 by heikea
Hello to you all, many thanks for your hints, patience and specific directions.You're the best.

@Hermann, vielen Dank. Ich habe kurz hineingeschaut, ein Upgrade wäre dann wohl am Besten, damit ich die Geschichten etc. nicht verliere. Schaue ich mir an, sobald ich genügend Zeit und die technischen Voraussetzungen geklärt habe.

@Bert, many thanks. Using your statement I was able to clean up the table and enter entries for google chrome (notebook version) and microsoft edge. I'll try to keep the table clean, at least until I've been able to upgrade to webtrees 2.

Regards
Heike
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by heikea.

• Bogie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Life is good!
More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #11 by Bogie

... damit ich die Geschichten etc. nicht verliere.

Falls Du das Modul 'Geschichten' verwendest, solltest Du überlegen, Deine Geschichten in gültige GEDCOM Strukturen zu transformieren.

If you use the 'Stories' module, you should consider transforming your stories into valid GEDCOM structures.

Please keep in mind it is not recommended to make use of the stories module because its contents will never be part of GEDCOM and thus won't be included in your export files. Only the database backup will inlcude the stories.

An alternative which is part of GEDCOM could be the use of the tag FACT i.e. as follows.
Code:
1 FACT of relative xyz 2 TYPE Story 2 NOTE your text 3 CONT your text 3 CONT your text 2 RESN privacy

Bogie
webtrees 2.1.19 | PHP 8.1.27 | MariaDB 10.5.23 | Apache on Ubuntu 12.9
AutoComplete places of @tkempf, chart modules of @magicsunday, Fancy treeview of @justCarmen
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Bogie.

• heikea
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #12 by heikea
Thanks for the gedcom-fact alternative. I'll try this out for some of my stories.

I'm quite fond of the story module though, as it enables me to attach pdf to persons who've written their memories down, including pictures, or memorials for deceased family members. But I understand it would be better/make it easier resp. more safe, to include information in the gedcom file, if feasible.

More
1 year 1 month ago #13 by hermann
... you can add media objects like pictures and pdf to a FACT, too.

The only thing, that cannot be done, is translating a story. When you create a story, you can do this in several languages. webtrees will present every user the story in his language. This is not possible when using a story done via FACT. The information in the FACT:NOTE cannot be translated.

Hermann

• Bogie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Life is good!
More
1 year 1 month ago #14 by Bogie

... as it enables me to attach pdf to persons who've written their memories down, including pictures, or memorials

You could add any media to the FACT and you can add sources with corresponding media as well.

Bogie
AutoComplete places of @tkempf, chart modules of @magicsunday, Fancy treeview of @justCarmen

• heikea
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #15 by heikea
Hi Bogie, Hermann,
many thanks for laying out how to implement this.
I was able to attach a story creating a story-fact, using the program "Ahnenblatt" I use on my notebook for maintaining data.
This seems to be a good method for stories related directly to specific persons indeed.
For common stories, i.e. regarding certain historical or local themes, I still like the story module, as it is easily visible on the module bar.

Hermann,
interesting. I'm not sure how webtrees is able to present/translate a story in the language used by the user? Maybe this is a webtrees 2-feature?
For some stories I just included the story in two languages in one file.

• Bogie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Life is good!
More
1 year 1 month ago #16 by Bogie

This seems to be a good method for stories related directly to specific persons indeed.
For common stories, i.e. regarding certain historical or local themes, I still like the story module, as it is easily visible on the module bar.

For common stories I would use a common note and attach it to all respective families or copy&paste the story FACT to all respective individuals. I used the story module, too, in the beginning. But for me it is more important to have everything available within GEDCOM. And you never know how long the story module which was inherited from PhpGedView will be maintained in future.

Bogie

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #17 by hermann

Hermann,
interesting. I'm not sure how webtrees is able to present/translate a story in the language used by the user? Maybe this is a webtrees 2-feature?
For some stories I just included the story in two languages in one file.

Oh, it is not webtrees doing the translation, it is you! But the story module allows you to store several versions of the story in different languages. When you edit the story in webtrees under the editing input box there you can select the languages this version of the story belongs to. This is a feature of "stories" since the old days of phpGedView. Have you ever used this? You should store stories which are in two languages not in "one file", but in two versions of that story. But maybe I misunderstood you.

See more information in the German webtrees manual .

Hermann

Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by hermann.

• heikea
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #18 by heikea
@Bogie, I love webtrees and how it offers different options, as to individual likings/workflows.

@Hermann, I use the language function for information on the main, landing, page, where I've got different versions, for each language. For stories though, I've used pdf files only and don't differentiate between the language blocks. I missed this functionality, I gather. I'll try this out, thanks.

Moderators: makitso