Question [SOLVED] residence addresses in gedcom

• mariannevanharten
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #1 by mariannevanharten
residence addresses in gedcom was created by mariannevanharten
When I add a residence address in my (test) webtrees and export that tree to a gedcom, I only see ADDR en CONT. I do not see ADR1 nor CITY, POST, STAE and CTRY.

I am still busy to create a gedcom which will be import flawless into webtrees. What is the best syntax to use?

Kind regards,
Guido

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #2 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic residence addresses in gedcom
There are several ways to record an address, depending on style / gedcom dialect you use or prefer. I'm pretty sure webtrees will render all of them, and allows editing existing values, but on entry of a new address it uses the 5.5.1 syntax.

If you read the GEDCOM 5.5.1 specs it gets really confusing. The old-style structured address tags (street, city, province, zip/postal code, state) are still in there for backwards compatibility, but noted with occurrence zero or one, so optional. New style is unstructured: just write the address as you'd write an envelope. This is the only fail-safe way to write world-wide valid addresses. Any attempt to structure it further will be awkward for another country.

More info: www.tamurajones.net/GEDCOMADDR.xhtml

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by bertkoor.

More
4 years 6 months ago #3 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic residence addresses in gedcom
> What is the best syntax to use?

As bert says, just use the ADDR/CONT.

It is not possible to convert ADR1/ADR2/CITY/POST/STAE/CTRY into a properly formatted address. The structure is different in every country.

Therefore you will always need to write the full address in the ADDR/CONT fields.

The sub-fields were designed for "automatic processing". But there is no automatic processing of addresses in webtrees (or any other genealogy program?).

Personally, I just store the part of the address that is not included in the place name. e.g.

1 BIRT
2 PLAC Ambridge, Borsetshire, England
2 ADDR 7 The Green

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• mariannevanharten
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #4 by mariannevanharten
Replied by mariannevanharten on topic residence addresses in gedcom
Nice solution!
Thank you very much, Bert!

• mariannevanharten
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #5 by mariannevanharten
Replied by mariannevanharten on topic [SOLVED] residence addresses in gedcom
Problem solved.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #6 by begleysm
Replied by begleysm on topic residence addresses in gedcom
This question is related so I thought I'd tack it on here instead of starting a new thread.

I've imported a GEDCOM from MyHeritage and there is a RESI (Residence) tag that looks like this
Code:
1 RESI 2 DATE 1935 2 ADDR 3 ADR1 2317 S 119th Ct, Omaha, Nebraska 68144-2930, USA 3 ADR2 Same House - 3512 Hickory St, Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska, USA

On main page for the person it renders like this

As an admin I go click on "Residence" and get this window

So, related to the above, it looks like MyHeritage put the address content in ADDR/ADR1 & ADDR/ADR2 but webtrees will only display it on the main page if its in the "Address" box (which I assume maps to ADDR/CONT). If I put content in "Address" it shows up like I want it to on the main page.

So what is the best way to handle this? Edit the GEDCOM file prior to importing to move/copy the ADDR/ADR1 and/or ADDR/ADDR2 data to ADDR/CONT? Or is there a web option somewhere that will have it import and/or display differently?

Side question: Why do I get an "extra" Residence block (surrounded red) that has no edit/copy/delete buttons after I updated a Residence tag?
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by begleysm.

More
4 years 5 months ago #7 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic residence addresses in gedcom
GEDCOM allows you to store addresses in two formats.
A "formatted" version for display.
A "structured" version for data-processing.

(Similar to NAME records where we store the formatted and strucutred versions of the same data.)

Generally, applications always include the formatted version and sometimes also include the structured version.

webtrees shows the "formatted" version. I guess that if this is empty, we should look for structured data to display as a fallback - so this is probably a bug.

Your data also looks wrong.

ADR1 is the first line of the address
ADR2 is the second line of the address

You have put two different (complete) addresses in each field.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
4 years 5 months ago #8 by begleysm
Replied by begleysm on topic residence addresses in gedcom
Thanks for the overview of the Address Format. That makes sense.

I agree that the data is formatted incorrectly. This is a GEDCOM file from MyHeritage.com that my dad put together. Not sure if it was "him" or "MyHeritage" that caused/allowed the non-conforming ADR1/ADR2 format.

It would, certainly, be handy if webtrees checked the structured address if the formatted address is blank since, apparently, this is something that at least one major genealogy tool permits.

In the meantime I'll fix it either in MyHeritage before exporting the GEDCOM, in the GEDCOM itself, or from within webtrees... whatever seems easiest.