Web based family history software

Question Favourites in menu

• rola
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #1 by rola
Favourites in menu was created by rola
In version 1.7.x I had my favourites in the top menu, in 2.0.x it disappeared. Is this by design, or is it a bug in my instalation?

Thanks

Ladislav

Ladislav

webtrees 2.0.24 + ⚶ Vesta modules (from cissee.de/ )
testing webtres 2.1.5 + ⚶ Vesta modules
on PHP Version 7.4.28
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #2 by Cameron
Replied by Cameron on topic Favourites in menu
Is there any resolution to this?
I noticed favourites missing in 2.0.0 beta4 on a duplicated DB, and now I have moved to 2.0.2 on my main working database and the menu/button is still missing

I tried turning the modules off and on again, but no luck.
The wt_favorite table is still present in the DB and seems to have our favourites stored as before.

I have tried various themes, logged in as old users, creating new users and logging in as them - the results are always the same.
I can neither select old favourites nor create new ones.

webtrees running on private Linux server: Debian 10; Apache 2.4; PHP 7.3; MariaDB 10.3
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Cameron. Reason: fix up mistakes/clarifications

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #3 by Cameron
I'm really confused by this.
I managed to get my favourites list to display on my home page by enabling it in the block setup.
However there are two options there with the same name:
  1. user favourites
  2. family tree favourites.
I have never used a family tree favourites list, but when I enabled that then I could create some - I presume they are the table entries with user_id set to NULL.
It allows me to enable both types of favourite in the block setup, but only ever shows whichever was enabled first.

But at no stage did I get the situation I was after, which is having the favourites drop-down appear in the top line alongside "MyPages", "Theme", "sign out" etc.

webtrees running on private Linux server: Debian 10; Apache 2.4; PHP 7.3; MariaDB 10.3
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Cameron.

More
3 years 9 months ago #4 by martin1
Replied by martin1 on topic Favourites in menu
I am missing the top menu link too.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5 by rocker99
Replied by rocker99 on topic Favourites in menu
Has this question been answered?

I too cannot find a way to add favourites to the top menu which existed in v 1.7, although I can locate the favourites block.

Has this menu been intentionally removed from 2.0?

Kevin
Running latest version at www.familytreehq.com

More
3 years 7 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Favourites in menu
> Has this menu been intentionally removed from 2.0?

Given that 2.0 was a complete rewrite, it was more an issue of "not added" than "removed".

The menu showed a merged list of the tree-favourites and the user-favourites, and I wasn't convinced that it was particularly useful as a menu, or a good use of screen space.

There was also an "add to favourites" sub-menu - and it was never clear if this was adding to the tree favourites or the user-favourites.

I think it makes sense as a tree-page block. But don't users store favourites in their browser's bookmarks?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
3 years 7 months ago #7 by rocker99
Replied by rocker99 on topic Favourites in menu

>But don't users store favourites in their browser's bookmarks?

Not me, not for webtrees. I almost exclusively use the menu in the top right of 1.7 for favourites.

What I like about the 1.7 implementation is that there is no requirement to scroll down the page (which drives me crazy).

The top right favourites list is a neat compact list, which is preferable to creating a favourites block with chunky sub-boxes for each individual.

Kevin
Running latest version at www.familytreehq.com

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #8 by Cameron
> But don't users store favourites in their browser's bookmarks?

Nor me. I found the drop-down menu very convenient for navigating between different branches of my tree.

I suppose I will have to make use of browser bookmarks - for the different browsers that I use.

And, as an example of my being "set in my ways", I was never even aware of the different "tree" and "user" favourites.

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Cameron.