Web based family history software

Question Numérotation SOSA -

• djaydjay
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #1 by djaydjay
Numérotation SOSA - was created by djaydjay
Bonjour,

Je ne comprends pas pourquoi, il est impossible, apparemment, de choisir le "de cujus" afin de déterminer à partir de quel individu il est possible d'établir la numérotation ascendante SOSA

Certes, dans le menu, "Ancêtres" / "Individus", une numérotation SOSA est affichée mais elle se modifie en fonction du personnage affiché ..

webtrees serait-il le seul logiciel de généalogie à ne pas proposer cette fonctionnalité ? (mdr)

Comptez-vous adapter pour webtrees 2 le module développé par A. Dumas ?

Remerciements

Salutations

Hello,

I do not understand why, it is impossible, apparently, to choose the 'de cujus' in order to determine from which individual it is possible to establish the ascending numbering SOSA

Certainly, in the menu, 'Ancestors' / 'Individuals', a SOSA numbering is displayed but it changes according to the character displayed.

Would webtrees be the only genealogy software not to offer this functionality? (lol)

Do you plan to adapt the module developed by A. Dumas for webtrees 2?

Thanks

Greetings

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Numérotation SOSA -
I cannot find a translation for 'de cujus', so your question is not 100% clear.

I guess you want the SOSA numbers to be shown somewhere. Everywhere?

How many ancestors do you have in your tree? I have approximately 300.

To show SOSA numbers, we must first calculate all ancestors.

This would require approx 300 database queries.

For many servers, this could add half a second to the time to create the page.

We show SOSA numbers where it will be useful. e.g. branches list, ancestors chart.

But on other pages, the cost will excede the benefit.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
3 years 11 months ago #3 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Numérotation SOSA -
As I undestand it, it would be an improvement when SOSA's in the Ancestors report were calculated relative to the user's "my individual". Currently whoever is set as start of the report is SOSA #1.

The branches list does it right

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

• Gustine
  • Away
More
3 years 11 months ago #4 by Gustine
Replied by Gustine on topic Numérotation SOSA -
Hello,

de cujus = sosa 1 (for my part, I modified app/Controller/BranchesController.php so that the sosa 1 is the default individual defined in "My account" rather than the user).

In the module (webtrees 1.7) created by André Dumas and in the variant I use, the sosas are calculated on demand and saved in an additional table. So when webtrees displays an individual, it will only look in the table for the value that may be there without recalculating anything.

Online publishing : webtrees 2.1 with Vesta Classic L&F + MagicSunday fanchart + Justlight theme + Fancy Imagebar + sosa²⁰ . Mageia 9 - php 8.2.
Offline editing : webtrees 1.7.

More
3 years 11 months ago #5 by fisharebest
> As I undestand it, it would be an improvement when SOSA's in the Ancestors report were calculated relative to the user's "my individual". Currently whoever is set as start of the report is SOSA #1.

Really? To me, it seems "obvious" that they should be calculated for the "chart individual".

What do others think?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
3 years 11 months ago #6 by HRN
Replied by HRN on topic Numérotation SOSA -
I agree with Greg. SOSA-Stradonitz (Ahnentafel) numbering should start with the proband
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_numbering_systems
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahnentafel

webtrees 2.1.18 at visitusinmaputo.com/webtree PHP 8.1.27
webtrees 2.1 dev on local Wampserver 3.3.2 PHP 8.2.13/8.3.0 MySQL 8.2.0

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #7 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Numérotation SOSA -

HRN wrote: SOSA-Stradonitz (Ahnentafel) numbering should start with the proband

That's all correct, dandy & fine. But who exactly is the proband?
It really could be anybody. That's probably why there's suggestion for an input field to select the proband.

Lacking that functionality, for consistency it would be best if all parts of webtrees where SOSA's are calculated all use the same proband.
To me at least it makes sense if this were the user's "my" person, or in it's absence the tree's dedicated "default" person.

If you have no control over it, it's hard to focus on a smaller part of the ancestors tree. The result is a humungous list of ancestors that is hard to digest.

What I had personally used instead of SOSA's (but I imagine with the same goal: find all ancestors) is a set of 5-generation fan charts of my 8 great-grandparents.
That's relatively easy to manage by my brain. I guess an ancestor chart starting at one of my great-grandparents would work as well for that.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by bertkoor.

More
3 years 11 months ago #8 by HRN

But who exactly is the proband? It really could be anybody.

Proband is always #1 in your chart. And yes, it could be anyone.

More
3 years 11 months ago #9 by fisharebest
So what is the actual request here?

To calculate the SOSA from the user's "Default individual" instead of the "Individual record"?

More
3 years 11 months ago #10 by HRN
I don't really understand the initial question.
Currently SOSA numbers are correctly displayed in charts and reports, and I can't see how they can be calculated differntly.
SOSA numbering is defined by proband #1, male parent #2, female parent #3, male parent's male parent #4 etc.
In Reports and Charts ->Ancestors ->Individual, you define proband, and numbering is calculated accordingly.

If numbering would be calculated from "Default individual", only this individual's ancestors will have correct numbering.
Setting myself as Default, only half of my son's ancestors will have SOSA numbers, and they will make no sense.
My wife's ancestors will not even have SOSA numbers....
Are we talking about a different numbering system here?

More
3 years 11 months ago #11 by fisharebest
> Currently SOSA numbers are correctly displayed in charts and reports, and I can't see how they can be calculated differntly.

I *think* the question is to choose a different individual as SOSA #1

For the branches list, SOSA#1 is the user's individual record.
For the ancestors chart/list, SOSA#1 is the chart individual.

I *think* the original question wants the ancestors chart to use the user's individual record, not the chart individuals

Someone else said they would prefer to use the "default individual" (which is defined in your user account).

> Are we talking about a different numbering system here?

No.

> My wife's ancestors will not even have SOSA numbers....

If each user account defines its own #1, then
* on your account, they may not have SOSA numbers.
* on her account, then *your* ancestors may not have SOSA numbers.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #12 by HRN
My vote goes to chart individual!

If I want to study cousin John Doe's ancestry, I want John Doe as proband. Not myself.
If a person stumble upon his/hers grandfather in my database, and want to study the grandfather's ancestry, I want the grandfather to be proband, not a predefined individual, maybe not even related.

Could there be a choice? Set default individual, or if left blank, use chart individual?

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by HRN.

More
3 years 11 months ago #13 by ddrury
Replied by ddrury on topic Numérotation SOSA -
@fisharebest wrote

To me, it seems "obvious" that they should be calculated for the "chart individual".

Gets my vote

--
Dave

Local: Win 11 Pro, WSL2/Ubuntu20.04.4, Apache 2.4.51, PHP 7.4.26/8.1.7, MySQL 8.0.27
Production: Litespeed 8.0.1, PHP 8.1.9, MySQL 8.0.26

• Gustine
  • Away
More
3 years 11 months ago #14 by Gustine
I cannot answer for the questioner, but I think he has the same needs as I do.
▫ The sosas of the ancestors diagram are necessarily those of the current individual. That's OK.
▫ On the list of branches, I want to be able to choose the root (my granddaughter). So I modified BranchesController.php (see above). Problem solved.
▫ What webtrees lacks is the display of the sosa number on the individual pages. This is the purpose of the custom module. I don't know if André Dumas will adapt his module to webtrees 2. I am unable to adapt my own variant, so I'm still on webtrees 1.7.

Like many French people, I regularly visit geneanet.org where a simple visitor can choose who he wants as sosa 1 (More > Set as family tree root).

Online publishing : webtrees 2.1 with Vesta Classic L&F + MagicSunday fanchart + Justlight theme + Fancy Imagebar + sosa²⁰ . Mageia 9 - php 8.2.

• Gustine
  • Away
More
2 years 2 months ago #15 by Gustine
I finally managed (at least I think so) to update my Sosa module. It's an amateur work but if it can be useful, it's over there .