Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: auto log off when closing browser (tab) or idle for x minutes

auto log off when closing browser (tab) or idle for x minutes 1 week 2 days ago #1

• guidovanharten
  • guidovanharten's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior
  • Junior
I am looking for an option to auto log off a user after the website is closed or when the user isn't using webtrees for e.g. 10 minutes. I can't find such an option.

Best regards,
Guido

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

auto log off when closing browser (tab) or idle for x minutes 1 week 2 days ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
While typing I realised we had discussed this not too long ago.
Found the topic again: www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/help.../34301-log-off#76388

But maybe Greg has some thoughts to add on this...
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Last edit: by bertkoor.

auto log off when closing browser (tab) or idle for x minutes 1 week 2 days ago #3

webtrees 2.0.4 patched at visitusinmaputo.com/webtree PHP 7.2.9
webtrees 2.0 dev on local WampServer PHP 7.3.1

auto log off when closing browser (tab) or idle for x minutes 1 week 2 days ago #4

• Elvin
  • Away
  • New
  • New
At the moment, because it is dependent on on how many requests are made, on a low activity site users sessions may appear active for days.

Would it be possible to have a routine/module on the server to be run by cron to do the housekeeping at set time intervals (say once an hour)?

Last edit: by Elvin.

auto log off when closing browser (tab) or idle for x minutes 1 week 2 days ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> I am looking for an option to auto log off a user after the website is closed

This happens automatically.

The login is created using a "session cookie".
When you close the browser, it deletes all session cookies.

> or when the user isn't using webtrees for e.g. 10 minutes.

Can I ask why?

It can be appropriate for some high-security applications. For example, my bank website will log me off after 10 or 15 minutes of inactivity.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

auto log off when closing browser (tab) or idle for x minutes 1 week 2 days ago #6

• guidovanharten
  • guidovanharten's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior
  • Junior
>> I am looking for an option to auto log off a user after the website is closed

> This happens automatically.

After startup of my computer I visit my website and I am logged in without entering login and password.

>> or when the user isn't using webtrees for e.g. 10 minutes.

> Can I ask why?

When I (suddenly) leave my computer and another person visit my computer, it is not recommended he can do admin tasks. That's why I prefer an option to auto logoff like your bank website does.

auto log off when closing browser (tab) or idle for x minutes 1 week 1 day ago #7

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland

guidovanharten wrote: After startup of my computer I visit my website and I am logged in without entering login and password.

Was the computer totally shut down or merely put to sleep? Was the browser completely shut down, or was it still active? Is the browser configured to restore sessions & tabs, or configured to forget it all?

If you have closed all tabs, closed the browser, shut down the PC, started up the PC, started the browser and then navigate to your website, then it should prompt you for userid & password. If not, we should have a look at the configuration of the browser, since it really should have forgotten the session cookie.

guidovanharten wrote: When I (suddenly) leave my computer and another person visit my computer, it is not recommended he can do admin tasks. That's why I prefer an option to auto logoff like your bank website does.

Several issues here:

1. I currently work at a bank. If someone goes for a coffee or visit room 101 and leaves his/her screen unlocked, then we press Ctrl-Alt-Up. It teaches them to lock their screens. Very easy to do with the key combination [Win] - [L]

2. It is bad practice to use a user profile with all permissions on a daily basis. So create a user profile with Editor or Moderator access for your daily basis tasks. Use a separate account with Admin role, and use that only when needed. This reduces the risk of malice severely.

3. If your significant other is capable (that is: has the motivation and technical skills) of doing malice to your webtrees website, then you need to talk because there are probably other more severe problems at the root that need to be addressed ;-)
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Last edit: by bertkoor.
  • Page: