Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Showing living families in the recent changes

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 2 days ago #1

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34
Why is webstrees showing families with living people in the recent changes?

I had configured it to hide all data about living people.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 2 days ago #2

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 12929
On the demo server, I made an edit on a family with living people.

I also added the "Recent changes" block to the home page.

When I am logged in, I see the change.
When I log out, it shows "There have been no changes in the last 7 days".

I looked at the code, and there is nothing suspcious.

The data for the block is filtered through the usual "canShow()" function which handles all the privicy.

I suspect the issue may be to do with your settings/configuration.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 2 days ago #3

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34
It is only showing the family and clicking on it says I don't have the permission to view it. But it is leaking names which I don't want!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 2 days ago #4

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 12929
> But it is leaking names which I don't want!

Have you set the "show private names" option in the privacy settings?
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 2 days ago #5

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34

fisharebest wrote: >Have you set the "show private names" option in the privacy settings?


Yes, it is set to show to members

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 2 days ago #6

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34
The only way I can get it to stop showing them is to add them as specific individuals in Privacy restrictions.

It is very weird, the family are three siblings, two of which family details are displayed the other one is being blocked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by clivejo.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 1 day ago #7

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34
It is leaking too much private data that I've had to remove the Recent Changes block from the Home Page.

How can I debug this to find out why it is displaying these names?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 1 day ago #8

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 12929
> How can I debug this to find out why it is displaying these names?

Does it affect all record types, or just family records?
Does it affect all families, or just some?
Any other pattern?

If I can't reproduce it, I can't fix it.
But if you can find a pattern, that might give some clues.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do you need a web hosting solution for your webtrees site?
If you prefer a host that specialises in webtrees, the following page lists some suppliers able to provide one for you: 

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 1 day ago #9

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34
It seems to be families ie John Doe + Susan Smith

Also appears to affect families were the individuals have no facts. For example, I noticed this because I added a death record for the mother and in the obituary it mentioned some of the children's partners, so I added the partners names as husbands/wifes. These families now display in my recent changes. I don't have information on their births, but I know they are living. One of the siblings who I added an occupation fact to, doesn't display, even though I added their partner the same way. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Is there any way to customise the recent changes to omit families, media etc?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 1 day ago #10

clivejo wrote: .... I don't have information on their births, but I know they are living.


This is not a bug, and excluding all families from the block is not the right answer.

You may know they are living, but based on the information available to the software it has estimated they are probably deceased. Therefore they can be displayed to the public. The system has to make the calculation based on whatever data it has, for every individual where you do not have birth and / or death data. This is also extremely inefficient. You need to add data, even if it is only estimated (EST date), that confirms their status. If, as you say, you "know" they are living, than add data that indicates that to the software. Or, as Greg suggested, "add them as specific individuals in Privacy restrictions"

Without the basic birth/marriage/death data for any individual, the "isDead?" calculation will always be a "system best guess", and therefore prone to this type of discrepancy. The algorithm used is good, but never perfect.

If they were mentioned in an obituary, then the least you "know" is that their birth date was "BEF date of obituary". That would be an example of a possible solution. Not ideal, but if it's all you have......
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 1 day ago #11

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 12929
The code looks for dates that would confirm that the individual is dead.
If it cannot find any, then the individual is assumed to be living.

So, an individual with no facts will always be living...

Can you reproduce the problem somewhere that we can see it. For example, create a test tree on your site, and then give me access to that?

Could you have mis-typed a date somewhere? For example entering 10 JUN 198 instead of 10 JUN 1998?

I cannot reproduce your problem, and the code that generates this list is pretty simple (i.e. few places for bugs to hide). So, my gut feeling is that it is being triggered by the specific data on your site.
If it is a bug, then I'm keen to find and fix it. Privacy/security issues take a high-priority.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 1 week 1 day ago #12

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34

fisharebest wrote: The code looks for dates that would confirm that the individual is dead.
If it cannot find any, then the individual is assumed to be living.


Yes, in previous versions of webtrees I've had to make sure I added a death fact in order for the record to be displayed to visitors. The individuals themselves are being hidden, but for some reason the family is not.

Going back through the recent changes as a visitor I noticed it is doing this for many families and is why I decided to remove the block entirely.

The only common factor I've noticed is that it is happening to female children, were I have added a husband with very little data. In most cases, it is just a first name learned from an obituary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 4 days 21 hours ago #13

I'm not sure if this is related, but after upgrading to ver 2.0.4 my "Changes in the last 90 days" block links no longer function as they did before

When I look in the changelog via the Admin Gedcom viewer all the data seems correct? (Second Screenshot)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 4 days 21 hours ago #14

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34
Yes, my install is doing the same. Also, individuals records are displaying as families for some reason. Even media records!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 4 days 20 hours ago #15

webtrees 2.0.4 patched at visitusinmaputo.com/webtree PHP 7.2.9
webtrees 2.0 dev on local WampServer PHP 7.3.1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 2 days 8 hours ago #16

  • clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 34

HRN wrote: This was fixed about a week ago
github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/commit/1...b11cf4e639a8a9c6e5f8


Applying this fix seems to fix my data leak issue as well. Should this fix not be released ASAP to fix the issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Showing living families in the recent changes 2 days 6 hours ago #17

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 12929
> Should this fix not be released ASAP to fix the issue?

There is currently a problem caused by Bootstrap 4.5.0
See github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/issues/3281

It has been fixed upstream, so I am waiting for the 4.5.1 release.

After a ".0" release, Bootstrap usually release a ".1" fairly soon afterwards.
It's been 15 days since 4.5.0. Hopefully it will be soon.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Powered by Kunena Forum