Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help to understand relationship calculating

Help to understand relationship calculating 1 week 9 hours ago #1

• Andreas
  • Andreas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent
  • Frequent
I tried to find the relationship between an user of our website and me. But the relationship calculation didn't give a result.

Then I lookd for her oldest ancestor with my family name Rauhut, and what a susprise,

wt.rauhut.eu/tree/GAC.ged/relationships-0-99/2299I/31383I

I am the great ×4 grandson’s partner’s fourth cousin’s partner’s second cousin’s grandson of https://wt.rauhut.eu/tree/GAC.ged/individual/2299I/Friedrich-RauhutFriedrich Rauhut
and the system showed me even many other relationships.

Now I tried the same by replacing me by the users ID.

wt.rauhut.eu/tree/GAC.ged/relationships-1-2/2299I/I17418

She's the great ×5 granddaughter of https://wt.rauhut.eu/tree/GAC.ged/individual/2299I/Friedrich-RauhutFriedrich Rauhut

The calculation of the direct relationship between her and me seems to be not possible. Is it due to complexity or server time ?
What's the difference between
- Find the closest relationships
- Find other relationships ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Andreas.

Help to understand relationship calculating 1 week 1 hour ago #2

Andreas wrote: The calculation of the direct relationship between her and me seems to be not possible.

You have restricted your chart options to "Find relationships via ancestors". If these two individuals do not have common ancestors, it is expected that no relationship is returned.

If you follow a link to the relationship chart, as in your first example , different options are used (note the 'relationships-0-99' part of the url), and a relationship NOT only based on common ancestors is returned. That is rather confusing because it isn't reflected in the displayed parameters ("Find relationships via ancestors" in particular).

Now, if you adjust the available parameters after following the link, you'll always end up with "No link between the two individuals could be found", as expected (note how the url changes to 'relationships-1-').
Richard

webtrees 2.0.4 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Custom modules for 1.7.x and 2.x (Extended Relationships, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Compact Themes Adjuster) available at cissee.de

Last edit: by ric2015.

Help to understand relationship calculating 1 week 31 minutes ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I just wrote a long answer on another thread which might be helpful here:

www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/help...the-wrong-path#77619
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Help to understand relationship calculating 6 days 22 hours ago #4

• Andreas
  • Andreas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent
  • Frequent

fisharebest wrote: I just wrote a long answer on another thread which might be helpful here:

www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/help...the-wrong-path#77619

Thank you, Greg.

It is better than I did expect and your explication is good.
It's more than ok to keep in mind to maintain the base functionality of webtrees.

• Page: